Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Morning vet visit

The vet was just here to give Baasha a checkup so I can feel better about leaving him for 3 weeks. (oops, did I forget to say I'm going home to Seattle on the 14th?!)

Baasha was happy to see him, he stood at the gate nickering nonstop as the vet approached. Why the vet is on his favorite person list is beyond me, it must be a connection they share.

This is the same vet who was here repeatedly during our last visit to America (13 times in 3 weeks I think it was). So if you remember that horrible story (and those horror pictures - my poor baby) you won't be surprised to hear the doctor first went for Baasha's eyes. He stained the eye again to get a good look and seemed satisfied but he did notice Baasha squints that eye more than the other one. (Especially after hanging his face out of the stall all day in that snow storm, geez Baasha!)

He listened to his heart, lungs, windpipe, and digestive quadrants. He took a look at his teeth and moved his jaws back and forth after I said Baasha has had trouble chewing lately. He said if we see him spit out hay or drop weight, he needs another dental visit (he was done a few months ago). But for now his weight is perfect and the new hay is much more chewable.

He did a lameness evaluation and gave me a bottle of DMSO for his arthritic pastern. I am curious to see if that helps him.

Then he gave me a tube of praziquantal because it was the one type of wormer I don't have on hand. I had no idea tapeworms come from mites - did you know that? We have plenty of mites here so I gave him the wormer right away. (This is a type of worm that usually does not show up on a test so I'll always give it in December along with Ivermectin.)

The vet cuddled with Baasha a bit, he seems to be pleased at how he's doing. Baasha cuddled back, pressing his face against the man's chest. "I love you vet." Then his Australian Shepherd, Shakespeare, found one of our woodpiles again and stole one of our wood pieces again and ran all around in the snow with it happily. Baasha wanted that stick back and they had a standoff, while the vet warned the dog to be nice to the horse. This time we told him to just keep the wood, it was all chewed up anyway: )

I feel better about leaving now, and I think it would be really nice if our horsesitter did some guest blogs here for us. Heck, Google has a translator so she could write it in her native language, no problem. How bout it Sonja?!

11 comments:

Laura said...

Good to hear that Baasha got a godo report from the vet. Hopefully that will help you have a nice trip back to the US without toooo much worrying. (a little is to be expected! :-)

Anonymous said...

Glad Baasha is doing so well - he's quite the furry beast!

Dom said...

My horse also loves his vet. While the others hide behind their sheds trying to look invisible, Ozzy comes to the gate and whinnies. Haha. Glad Baasha is doing well and enjoy your trip!

Formerly known as Frau said...

Im glad Baasha got a clean bill of health for your travels! Are you so excited for your state side visit? What food are you missing the most and are hoping to have. For me it was Mexican! I hope you are bring empty suitcases and stocking up on all your needs. If anything for the cheaper prices.

Crystal said...

excellent news that Baasha is health for your trip to Seattle. Im sure he will be fine when you are gone and you can relax a little more.

AareneX said...

Baasha looks so good. Such a furball!

(see you soooooooon!)

cdncowgirl said...

Yay! That good vet visit must make you feel a bit better about going away :)
(of course you will still worry some I'm sure)

I think it is a great idea for Sonja to do some guest posts. Is she staying at your place or popping in and out?

Anonymous said...

So your horse sitter is going to be staying at the house and taking care of your kitty too?

lytha said...

Laura, Thank you. I'll try not to worry too much!

Kate, Thank you. I miss the summer coat so much!

Dom, I think horses can sense good people. Or maybe they think, "Oh, this is MY guest, he's here for ME!"

Frau, I will bring an extra suitcase, for sure! I already have a long list of things I need to buy. I always miss Mexican the most too because it is not simulated well here as you know. I'm unable to get too excited because of all the things I have to do before I leave, and the sad fact that I'll be flying alone for the first time in years *sob*. It makes a hellish long trip all the worse to be alone--from London to Seattle is 11 hours on one plane. Total travel time 13 hours. Bah.

Crystal, I sure hope Sonja will write blog updates - with photos!!

Aarene, looking forward!

Cdncowgirl, Sonja will be staying here. I hope she can enjoy being out here so far away from the city. We are giving her the car too so that should help.

Wazzoo, yes I just wrote down the instructions about feeding the cat.

Sonya said...

Great to hear that Baasha is doing just fine :) it will make for an easier trip I would imagine.

Have fun back home : )

Anonymous said...

That is awesome that you have someone to stay and take care of your furry babies! I have a friend who does that for me too and it gives me such a peice of mind. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas with your family!!