Tuesday, December 7, 2010

December in Germany


The sun came out and the plows came too, allowing people to go about their normal lives, despite lots and lots of snow. Well, all the schools in the area are closed, so my husband stayed home with me and then drove me to my job interview in Cologne. We only lost traction a couple of times but Cologne has less snow than we do.

The plows have left big snow banks on our street, making passing other cars difficult. Getting into our field would be rough, climbing over the bank.

Here are the big piles we've shovelled onto either side of our driveway.

I did go down to feed the fish and had a tremendously difficult time in the deep snow on the hang. Then I tried to rescue my temporary fence posts but it's too late. The electric rope became too heavy and bent the plastic posts all the way to the ground! I removed the rope and I'll try to get them straight later, if that's possible. The Tposts are fine, thank God, and the rest of our property looks OK, just many small trees are bent over in the path around the ponds. The neighbors lost their entire fence, it's laying on the ground due to the heavy snow.

I'm so glad our fence was built a ways back from the street, otherwise the plow would be piling up snow directly against it.


Here is the sign next to our fence that warns drivers of snow ahead. It is a picture of a snowflake, but it's not very helpful at the moment.

These are the massive oaks, zoomed in, in the woods across the street. They look so scary to me like this.

Tree crews are going around cutting branches over power lines. Baasha was watching them work in the distance.



Here he cleans up some hay he dropped out the window. Good boy, keep doing that! I love watching him paw the snow to eat.



Baasha is settling into his new home well, and I'm so happy because due to its size, he doesn't distribute his poop around as much. Can you believe how much hair he has? This is more than ever before, I swear. The vet called him "little bear" yesterday.

He must mean Polar Bear.

I want to take this chance to remind people not to forget the people who died in Pearl Harbor, today, in 1941. If you have the opportunity, go to Hawaii and throw orchids into the water over the USS Arizona, where over a thousand soldiers still lie underwater. I'll never forget the experience.

11 comments:

Formerly known as Frau said...

Wow that is a lot of snow! Is it more than last year! Looks beautiful! Stay warm and drive safe! Good luck with your job hunt!

Rising Rainbow said...

Basha has such a sweet face and cute little ears locked tight as he studies whatever is off in the distance. As much as I miss what's underneath all that hair in the wintertime, I'm sure glad with weather like this that they have it. LOL

My father was at Pearl Harbor. He never talked about it but I'm sure it must have impacted him. Survivor's guilt was commonplace among those who lived.

allhorsestuff said...

Oooou, so pretty! Loved all the photos, and Baasha! He is such a good furry horsey...mine still looks as if she was on summer. I may not clip her this year, as I'm not riding in
/through wet brush anymore..she does not get wet.
Nice seeing the B horse drink..did you allow for electric in your newer barn? Lights/heated water bucket?

Glad that your man doesn't the snowy day with you, job hunting..? do you drive well-in snow?

Well, I did say a prayer for all the folks that survived P.H. It was a terrible time.

Melissa-ParadigmFarms said...

That's a lot of snow!! Reminds me of the two winters I spent in Vermont, and makes me glad to be in Tennessee.

Hope the job interview went well!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Oy! I bet you're wishing you could be in Hawaii right about now. Brrrr! It all looks so beautiful, but horribly cold. I like snow, but not the heavy wet kind. Most of our snowfalls are dry powder thankfully.
Baasha looks like a furry polar bear, that's for sure.
That last photo of him is lovely. Perfect composition, too.

~Lisa

ps Do the "Warning: Snow" signs stay up all year?

Fantastyk Voyager said...

Baasha is so cute! I love his little ears.

Yes, Pearl Harbor Day today, such a sad event at such a beautifully named place.

lytha said...

Frau, I think it might be more snow, or maybe just wetter snow, than last year because last year it didn't destroy my plastic moveable fence posts. *sigh*

Mikael, I miss his red flea bitten flecks so much! I hope you've been to the Pearl Harbor museum and memorial, it would mean so much more to you than me.

Kacy, my man will be intalling lights in our new stall but I don't know when he'll have the time. For now he's willing to hold a flashlight for me, how sweet of him. I try not to drive in the snow but over here I find that I can due to winter tires and plows, they help! The job interview process here is HELL. I can't even explain it - series of interviews, not just one, and several hours long, and LOTS of test work. And I have to give demonstrations of my work to CEOs, CTOs, etc. The firms here want to see you work during your interview, and this one also gave me a day-long project to do at home. I worked three days straight at another company, only to be told I wasn't right for them. Of course this test work is all unpaid.

Melissa, I fly to Seattle in 6 days. There'd better be rain: )

Lisa, OOPS, I meant it is an ICE warning sign, that snowflake. It gets turned sideways in Spring so cars don't read it. That is why the summer photos sometimes show that winter sign, it's facing my field. I don't know what ice they are warning about, honestly - the entire road is either plowed or not.

It's snowing again now and I've had enough!

FV, Baasha's ears do look smaller when they're furry but they sure are huge in Summer! I should shave his brand again; what is the point of a brand you cannot see?

cdncowgirl said...

How did the interview go?

Gorgeous pics but WOW is that a lot of snow, you have more than we do. And now that we got our tractor my hubby is waiting for more snow lol

Crystal said...

He looks so cute and furry!
Hope the job interview went well. I think it would be pretty cooll to go to Pearl harbour to see the flowers thrown even though I dont know anyone who was there.

AareneX said...

My unles were both at Pearl; Uncle Bud was on the Nebraska when she started sinking--he swam to safety! He was only 17 years old then...

Anonymous said...

Wonderful pictures! Baasha is so gorgeous with all that hair!!! Thanks for posting. Love, Mom