Friday, March 12, 2010

Not how I planned on ending my day


It was really a nice evening, even with all this snow. I went down to feed the fish and they came splashing to greet me. The sunlight was making their sides into rainbows, hence their name.

Then something awful happened. One enthusiastic fish got himself tangled up in the protective netting. I tried to free him, but I could hardly reach him with my extension thingy, he was in the exact middle of the pond. I was reminded of those dolphins who get caught in tuna nets, dying cruelly. I couldn't stand it, but I had no idea what to do. If I removed the entire net, I would never be able to get it back on to protect the rest of our fish, and my man wouldn't be home til almost midnight. I felt like it was my fault that this poor fish was suffering, because we knew that the net was inappropriate - the previous owner used a fruit tree netting instead of actual fish netting. The snow had pushed sections of netting into the water, even though a few days ago I tightened the net again. Why had we procrastinated on this?

I walked next door, cuz they have trout too, but they were not home. I called Petra and Norbert, and Petra sent her husband down to help me. It seemed like forever that I stood with Baasha in his stall, waiting for Norbert, fretting about the poor fish.

Norbert came prepared. He had brought a super long extension pole thingy for cutting tree branches. He had a tiny swiss army knife and he went to work taping it to the pole with electrical tape. I suddenly felt like we were in a movie, where you're stranded on an island and you fashion a harpoon. He joked, "Let's get the whale!"

He held a catcher net under the fish, and I went to work with the "harpoon", cutting the netting around the fish. I said a prayer, that we would be successful, so that he could feel the satisfaction of being my rescuing neighbor.

It worked. The fish was exhausted from fighting all that time, and didn't fight as they normally do when hooked. I grabbed my hammer, turned it upside down, and killed the poor thing. Norbert thought I'd be upset about it, and said "There was no alternative, he coudln't live with all that netting caught in his gills and teeth." I knew the fish had to die.

I do believe he was thrilled to have helped, and I hugged him and thanked him and covered the fish in snow.



Warning, there are blood and guts in the following photos.







This is your last warning.








I discovered our water faucet outside is frozen, of course, and I had no idea how I'd clean a fish with no hose. I was not gonna do that in the house! I finally brought a bucket of water out, two knives and a spoon, and went to work.

Using a bucket turns out to work! And the spoon removes the backbone kidneys better than my thumbs ever could. (Sorry, I know that is disgusting, but I have to be honest here, it is a nasty process.) In this photo you can see how the net is in the mouth and the gills.

I was frustrated that we have no cell phones, and I could not contact my man to ask him what I should have done. I was so frustrated, in fact, that I left the guts and head and bloody knives out there all night. The crows had a feast this morning. I needed my man to see the mess so he would understand how urgent it is that we get a new net, .....and cell phones!

I couldn't help but notice how healthy that fish was. Blood red gills, bright eyes, and totally reflective skin. You put your nose right inside and sniff and you smell nothing.

These are my hoof trimming gloves. Hm, I wonder if they're machine washable?

And now to get Norbert a nice thankyou gift.....(I offered him the fish itself, but like many Germans, he's not a fish eater).

I have really missed eating trout, ever since our fish became too clever for us. I don't understand how, but they eat the bait off the hook, and then skip away to freedom. We simply cannot catch them anymore, and as city folk, we're clueless about what to do. Then again, the fish are so tame, they're like our pets (making it doubly hard to kill them), so we don't mind too much.

It's in the oven now, with garlic, an entire lemon, butter, and thyme. We will be feasting in about 15 minutes!

11 comments:

Reddunappy said...

OOO Yum! Sorry you had to catch it that way, but.... the end product looked pretty darn good!
We love to smoke our trout, and then you can pull all the meat off and the bones stay intact. YUM YUM!

Anonymous said...

reddunappy, you just gave us an idea. a friend offered to bring over a smoker (whatever that is) and i think we may make a party of it this summer. my man really wants to, anyway. i don't like smoked fish, but i admit, smoked trout is the best, so maybe this will work.

otherwise i'm really gonna have to learn that "butterflying" technique. the bones make it so hard for my man to enjoy fish, i think that is why he doesn't.

thanks for the tip.

~lytha

allhorsestuff said...

Darn it all...well, I am glad you got it out-though having to sacrifice it for yourselves as turns out!
KK

AareneX said...

I'll be over in TEN minutes, with a bottle of Jim's homemade wine--it should go perfectly with a trout!

Smoked trout, mmmmmmm. It's great on bagels.

Fantastyk Voyager said...

Awwww, poor fish, but hey, it looks like he didn't die in vain. I hope you enjoyed dinner; fresh trout is awesome! Once, when we were backpacking, my son caught a trout with his bare hands and in about ten minutes from the time he was caught he was cooking in foil over the campfire. YummY!

Leah Fry said...

If the fish had to die, no better cause than your bellies — YUM!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Well, just think how big those fish are growing since they are so difficult to catch. Someday if there is ever a food shortage, I'm sure you'll figure something out. Hopefully, you haven't become so attached that you've named them, have you? My father had one Rainbow Trout he tried to catch summer after summer at the same fishing hole. It just kept growing larger and larger and my father had to use more and more muscle to try to reel it in, but it always broke the line and got away. It became a family joke. We named the fish "Old Hemorrhoid".

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Poor fish....he sure was a beaut, though. Good that his death wasn't wasted and he fed you and your man that night.
What a tough gal you are killing and gutting the fish, too. I wouldn't know what to do.

~Lisa

Reddunappy said...

LOL Lytha, smoked trout is great!! It is the only way we have found to get the bones out of them, cooking them just turns them to mush LOL but smoking them the flesh stays firm and you can do all kinds on recipes with it. The skin is crisped and it is easy to eat. We like to go catch Kokanee (landlocked salmon) and smoke those to yum yum!

Reddunappy said...

Oh, I have never been able to butterfly trout, the bones are just too small. You will be amazed at how the whole skeleton just peels right out after smoking.
OH and mix with cream cheese and crackers.... ( now I am hungery LOL)

lytha said...

reddunappy - we do have cream cheese in this land, and i can find crackers if i try really hard: ) you make me really excited about trying to smoke them.

also, you taught me something new about salmon, and i thought i knew all the types of salmon, cuz i'm from salmon land. land locked salmon!? interesting! i wonder how big they get, and how long they live.