Monday, July 27, 2009

I rode a horse!

Look at me, I'm on a horse!! Thanks to friends who brought everything I would need, I got to compete in CMO this weekend. That is competitive mounted orienteering, what I miss most in my new German life. In fact, I surprised myself by tearing up a little on the drive into ridecamp.










My endurance friends let me ride two of their horses, one on Saturday, and one on Sunday. I would like to blame most of the pain I am in on a particularly horrible saddle for the 6+ hour Saturday ride, but I know that I am also not used to riding fast for many hours anymore. I can barely move today.










My old team was there and they welcomed me to join them so we were once more The Best of the Lost (that is me, Barb, and Brandi). The weather did not cooperate, it was way too hot for hard riding. An ambulance came later for a rider who later collapsed in camp, and I thought for sure it would have been me. Here are my teammates and their horses resting in camp Saturday night.










I am so thrilled to have had the opportunity to ride CMO again, and I was finally able to introduce my new husband to the old cowboy who got me into the sport in 1999.












He rode a darling bay Morgan and I told him how pretty I found him and he replied in his normal half gruff, half joking way, "You can't ride PRETTY!"










Here we are, a team again, getting our maps from the ride manager. It was one of the most difficult rides I have ever been to, and we did especially poorly in finding objectives. I cannot even type it here, how badly. But the old timers also did poorly and made us feel better. Brandi said to me, "Gee lytha you really got your money's worth this weekend, riding to the time limits both days!" and I remembered what they always say, to become a good rider ride as many different horses as you can. Well I sure did that, two new ones for me this weekend and the trepidation that accompanies not knowing what your horse will do in tense situations. I got my money's worth there alright.



Pretty area, up north of Seattle. Except for one tall tree that kept scoffing at us in our attempts to find objectives. Evil tree!









Mt Baker has been visible from West Seattle all month, and looks different from up close.












It was wonderful to come back into camp and have my husband waiting for me, still fresh and happy after a day of geocaching.










What a nice horse trailer, it used to be mine. I was happy to see that my friends are still using the random horse stuff I gave them when I moved to Germany. A trailer tie, a bucket, etc.










I was thrilled to see Barb's new horse for the first time, an Arab Appy cross that seems to have the best traits of both breeds. Best conformation in camp, IMHO. She is eye candy!









My endurance buddies cooked oysters on the bbq Saturday and Sunday, and gave me as many as I can eat. I can eat a lot of those!











The two horses I rode look like they're saying, "BBQ'd oysters? MMM!"











Taking down the high lines at the end of the weekend. Goodbyes are hard for me with these people, and I know it will be at least 2 years before I get to ride with them again.












I simply must get this sport started in Germany. I miss it too much.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like the sort of sport that would go over well in Germany - see what you can do! That Arab/Appy cross is adorable! What fun you got to have - bet you're really tired as well as sore.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Well no wonder you were so sore...after such a very long time since you've done that sport, as well as ridden that long and hard on two different horses. Wow! I'm impressed, Lytha!
Did you have any 'exciting' adventures out on the trail on your borrowed horses?

I'm excited to read what a great time you had, but also sad for you that you miss it so much. You know something is dear to your heart when realizing that you are leaving it and not able to see or participate, makes you terribly sad. I hope you'll be able to bring it to Germany....in fact I just KNOW you can and WILL! Go for it!

I so enjoyed seeing all your photos, of you riding that gorgeous Arabian, and especially of the camp and how all the horses are contained and how it's all laid out, etc.
It's no wonder you enjoy it all so much.

~Lisa

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

I'm glad you got to ride in your favorite sport again, and on two unfamiliar horses at that.

Unknown said...

woo hoo! I wish we had this sport in Texas - it sounds so fun.

I've been riding lots of strange horses these days and I know what you mean about the feeling. It's a little jarring when you don't know what to expect.

Glad you got some horse time in. Any more news on Baasha?

Reddunappy said...

Sounds like great fun!!!! I want to do the new competative trail that has been going on, I cant ride fast anymore but we sure could ride the obstacles!
We are starting Geocaching! Thank you, you made it sound like so much fun! Its something Hubby and I can do on his days off and get out of the house. So far we have searched for one and didnt find it,(more because of my old megellan sportrac, it was a hundred yards off????? we are getting a newer one) and we found one.
The mounted orienteering sounds like a blast too, especially in teams!

AareneX said...

Ahhh, I'm jealous, I wanted to go to the CMO!!! But too much work needed (and still needs) to be done around our farm, so ah well.

I hope Laser (?) and Phoenix took good care of you on the trails.

When you come visit us, you can hop up on Hana if you want...or Fiddle....but not very many sane people want to ride Fiddle....!

Leah Fry said...

I LOVE that Arab/Appy cross. Beautiful!

photogchic said...

What a cool way to re-connect with everybody back here. I sure they all miss you as much as you miss them. Great pics and fun times!

lytha said...

Update on Baasha:

Sorry that I did not mention how he is, I am trying not to worry too much, if that is possible. Sonja says he is doing better, with regard to depression-apathy, that they go for daily walks which he really enjoys and his lameness is better, too, from this. His eyes are slow to recover, apparently, but better than when she arrived. He is only allowed out at night, because he must be kept in the dark still, but I hear he is eating well. That makes me happy. Also, that Sonja is noticing every little thing about him and emailing me about it, that just feels great. A really, really great horse sitter, as good as I could have hoped.

Geez guys thanks for the prayers, I was really touched the other day when we stopped at a public libarary to borrow WiFi so I could check my blog, and saw how many people care about Baasha and are praying for him. Thank you so much!

Kate, I am beat. But thanks to this weather, I cannot sleep. It is unbelievably hot here. Last time I felt a heat like this it was in Arizona. Triple digits are expected, and honestly the best place to be is in a car with the AC on full blast. I stuck my feet in ice water and have three fans on me now. You should have seen the weather channel last night, the pic of America with the temps all over it was bright glowing red on the west coast, with extreme fire danger warnings.

Lisa, I should not discuss some of the details of the ride because it would come out like whining and I should not whine about borrowed horses! At one point I was trembling all over, after the horse whirled me suddenly in search of her friends. I should again thank my teammates because were kind enough to accomodate me and let me be in the lead when the horse demanded it. They realized they had to keep track of me and not let my horses get too anxious. CMO demands a very disciplined horse, because you ride together, then you split apart, then rejoin, then go hell bent, then stop and wait, then bushwhack a while, searching, then separate, then rejoin, etc.

I will certainly try to get it started in my area, with the nice ladies I have recently met.

NM, I could not help but think of you during one moment of fear, how you said your horses understand you in those moments.

Breathe, I was not sure how good at bushwhacking the mare was and at one point I just tied her up to be safe, and trampled through the bushes on foot. Yah, I had totally lost my nerve at that point and did not want to start an argument in an area of bellyhigh bushes with logs strewn around. At that point I missed that feeling of knowing how a horse will react to things!

Reddunappy, let me know how it goes with the new GPS device, I am curious!

Aarene, it was seriously too hot, amazing more people did not need medical help.

Leah, I know, I even said "Despite her color, she is gorgeous!" but I know some people like that too, heheheh.

Photogchic, I think so too, they all said "See you next year" but I am afraid it will be longer than that. I am so happy to have a photo of the old cowboy cuz who knows how much longer he has, especially when he keeps riding wild young colts.

Fantastyk Voyager said...

I'm glad you got to ride with your friends and doing your favorite sport too!
It's always hard to ride other people's horses because you don't know what to expect. It always makes me appreciate my own horses even more.

sahara4d said...

Yea! I'm glad that you got to ride a CMO. I never can make it to that one because of the ferry fees, around $70.00 for a truck with camper and trailer, and then the cost of fuel...just a bit more than I want to pay. Enjoy the rest of your vacation.

allhorsestuff said...

WOW..greast times and renewing your love too! I do think getting this started in Germany would be a great quest L!

We went on a 7 hour ride yesterday..but not endurance..though it was the longest ride my two friends had taken..not me. The heat in Portalnd was 104...you know that now, but up on Mt. Hood...it was 89 with a breeze and lots of water!

Well, looking forward to seeing you tomorrow...I am so gald to hear of your good times back in the homelands!
KacyK

Tara said...

I know you don't know me, lol... but, I was wondering if this might help Baasha...
http://www.horsemask.com/

AareneX said...

Um....in CANADA?

When did that change?

lytha said...

Tara, thank you for that! I might have to get one!

Aarene, hey, you noticed. heheheh well you know, I got wet in the Straight of Georgia Monday! and found a cache under totem poles in White Rock, and got detained by customs due to my foreign husband. All in good fun, I even scored some Canadian coins out of a fountain that I absolutely had to jump in due to the weather. Then there were the Canadian coins we scored from some nice people who needed our help at a pay parking meter, so now we have lovely Canadian money to bring home to Germany and show off.

Glad you noticed. I was aboat to wonder if anyone would. HEEHEE, Aboat.

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Hey there, popped over from your link on my blog. Thanks for stopping , and you are right the appy/arab is one fine looking horse . Off to look around some more