Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Birthday boy

Today is Baasha's 24th bday. I had to look at his reg. papers this morning cuz I honestly wasn't sure. I have never celebrated his bday in the past, but this year is special, cuz he's HOME. Or, maybe I felt the undeniable pressure from all of you who really spoil your horses on their bdays!






Well, ask any of my human friends and you know I'm terrible with bdays. So I didn't bake a cake (Laughin Orca's looked sooooooooooo yummy, shh! don't tell!)

I just put some carrots in his morning mash. I brought it to him belated, cuz I was catching up on your blogs over my own breakfast. (And that's an uncensored photo of my kitchen counter, with three types of horsey medication!)








By the time I got to my horse, he cantered to me, nickering "FINALLY!" I put it in a bucket so he wouldn't spill any. (This was one of those mornings when I forgot to bring a bucket inside to make his mash, so I had to use a salad bowl. Normally he eats out of horseware, but today, humanware. My husband just shakes his head when I do this, "You're making his mash in the salad bowl?")

I said "Herzlichen Glueckwuensch zum Geburtstag, Baasha" and removed a twig from his mane. (That's Happy Bday in German.)



I took him to the field to enjoy some grass and take some pics. Like Pony Girl says, you can't have enough pics of your horse eating grass. Thousands is normal. But realistically, if you want to capture the spirit of the horse, think about what they love: eating.








The more pics you have of your horse eating, the more you love him. That's my logic.: )










I tried to imagine a little history. Long, long ago, and actually, far, far away for me too..

25 years ago Amir Ibn Sakr, straight Egyptian stallion, was standing in Seattle, WA at an Arabian farm called Legend Arabians. In what was the city limits of Seattle, but nowadays it has its own city status, "SeaTac." Tragically, the owners of Legend were both brutally killed one day by a crazy with a gun on the SeaTac strip. I was a teenager when I found their old barn, Gleannloch pedigrees on the wall still, all the horses gone, cobwebs in the dark stalls. Spooky and very sad. This is a true story, one I can hardly believe myself. No more Egyptian Arabian farms in Seattle after that. (Sorry I could find no picture of him.)

But Sherrifa, gray "mostly" egyptian mare, visited the stallion there before the tragedy, and that's where Baasha came from. I never met the father, but was sent pics of him from the stud farm in Michigan where he spent the end of his years. My goodness, that's where those shark withers come from. The father!

Sherrifa was wonderful, but even as a teenager I knew you should only breed animals to improve upon them. No way this humble little mare could improve her race. Sorry girl! I took care of her for a few years, she was a steady, sensible horse, deserving of the life of luxury she lived. I have hardcopy pics of Sherrifa and her son Baasha playing together in 1990, he's just slightly bigger and more refined than she was, but he's got her mane and tail. She died of colic 10 years ago, but she was well loved and spoiled, the favorite mare of a little girl in Maple Valley. (Wish I had a single *digital* photo of her! I have lots of her, but on those funny paper photos. Oh well..)

1988. Saarem Al-Najma is the name of the stable where we found Baasha, my sister and I. A stable in Auburn, WA, full of gorgeous Arabians waiting to be loved on by people. At the time, I didn't know horses could be *affectionate* and actually LIKE people. Which horse to choose? All of them were sweeties. Baasha chose me. I had nothing to do with it except that I was standing in that stall. He was so people friendly, so delighted that we were visiting him in his stall, there was no other option. He picked me.

Another tragedy, Saarem Al-Najma is no more - the owner died of E-coli years ago. She taught me how to train Baasha, and she taught me how to ride him. She also taught me how to groom him cuz I was a city kid and didn't really know that stuff. I still think of her when I lazily use a plastic-bristle brush on his legs. She would be so pissed at me! Legs and faces never get plastic bristles! Only the softest of brushes for their legs! : )

If only she knew how very loved one of her babies still is. If only she knew that he has been the focal point of my life for 21 years. I've lived my life with him longer than without. I can't imagine life without him. He is my son, and now he's on the wrong side of the world, being doted upon still, but now, he's HOME.

Today he turns 24, and now I start to get to really know him.

Happy birthday, Baasha al-Sherif. (Pedigree here.)

19 comments:

Melanie said...

Happy birthday Baasha!!! I still need to look at Bo's papers and see if he and Baasha came from the same farm in Auburn.

I just saw the pics of you gals riding in Pioneer Square, down by the waterfront, and by the Pacific Science Center,and I must say that I am impressed. :)

How is Baasha's eye doing??

AareneX said...

Happy B'day to Baasha and to his very favorite mum in the whole world, esp when she's got CARROTS in that bucket, how did you know he would like carrots for breakfast?

Leah Fry said...

Happy Birthday to Baasha! I so envy that you know his pedigree. I think Nita has papers for Jaz, but there's no telling about Poco.

That's a pretty tragic and incredible story behind your meeting hum.

Fantastyk Voyager said...

Here's wishing a very special happy birthday to Baasha!!

Fantastyk Voyager said...

Oh, and I was appalled to read about the Legend Arabians owners' murders! How absolutely awful!!! That was such a waste of good lives!

Brooke (FBX Adventures - In Parenting) said...

I just moved back to Seattle from Copenhagen (moved back to the horse rather than move the horse to me) I really enjoy your blog and the love you have for your boy! I hope I have my girl that long.

Anyway! Happy Birthday to your boy!! I hope he had a great day!

Reddunappy said...

Happy Birthday Baasha!!!
He is the same age as our Easy, she was 24 on March 21st. That is the chestnut that Meghan is riding in my blog.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Interesting stories. I don't know much about Egyptian Arabians. I'm familiar with Morafic and Nazeer, which are in Baasha's pedigree. Happy birthday, Baasha.

cdncowgirl said...

Happy Birthday Baasha!

Zoe said...

Happy birthday Baasha. Your birthday meal looks lovely. Check out all those carrots. I hope you have a lovely day.

allhorsestuff said...

Oh, Happy Birhtday you beautiful hunka horse!

Funder said...

Happy Birthday, Baasha! Beautiful post, by the way :)

hainshome said...

How did we never know that I got married on Baasha's birthday??? hahahahaha we are silly girls. For some reason I thought he was born on tax day. :)
-sis

Flying Lily said...

Great story though with the tragedies, sad too. Happy Birthday to Baasha and what a lovely new beginning you both are making together. You have one patient husband! The salad bowl!!??

photogchic said...

Happy Birthday Baasha! I like your theory about taking pictures of horses doing what they love..eating. Seems that is the only shot I can get of Maddy..with her head down.

Unknown said...

How did you come up with his name?

lytha said...

Thank you all for the kind bday wishes for my baby!

Hainshome - as you know, I'm equally bad with anniversaries. Happy anniversary!

Mary - we didn't name him, he came with that name. All the Arabians at that farm had fancy odd names. Baasha's name means "Noble king" which we always found funny cuz he's so not noble, and not kingly at all! It should have been "Humble dork" or something: )

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Sounds like Baasha is on the RIGHT side of the world, Lytha. Where ever you are must be right for him, too.
What a wonderful tribute to your handsome, precious Baasha. I enjoyed learing about some of his earlier days and his history, too.

I hope one day you'll share what it was like for the two of you in those first years of ownership, too. Especially the training. I'd be very fascinated!

I love that Baasha is so loving, too. I've not met a horse like that yet. Most, even my mare, just tolerate humans.

Maybe I've not met my soulmate horse yet either?

Well it looked like Baasha had no complaints about his birthday cake and celebration. hehe

HAPPY 24TH BIRTHDAY BAASHA!!

~Lisa

equineobsessed said...

Wow, an earthday birthday. Baasha is a beauty. We have an old gray mare - born in July 1981. Aren't they great. Enjoyed your water shed adventure.