Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Over The Counter --- I wish!

So far, my husband says Baasha cannot live in our apartment. That might change when I teach Baasha how to ascend/descend 4 flights of stairs. I figure, if I can't fix scratches and thrush, the horse moves in with us. OK, he can spend the day on the balcony, watching the hot air balloons.

I had my german pharmacy adventure this week, and I have to reiterate that no, I'm not a smurf, I'm a real, normal sized person. The size of the tube of "neosporin" was not made for humans.


I have taken a photograph of it next to a normal tube of neosporin, and an American quarter, for reference for people who are not familiar with neosporin.

Backing up... I walked in to the pharmacy, and handed the lady a list of two items that comprise "Pete's Goo" (Pete Ramey's thrush remedy). The lady discussed with her computer database, and with a colleague, handed the note back to me and said, "You need a prescription." WHAAAAAAAAAAA!?!??! No, I knew she'd say that. This is Germany, afterall. Any 17 year old can buy enough vodka to kill a horse in any grocery store, but I cannot be trusted to buy aspirin for my headache, no, I must go to the pharamcy and request it, and then there is the shocking lack of personal privacy. Right now, all the other shoppers are feeling sorry for me cuz I apparently have serious, infected wounds, and athlete's foot. In the end, she gave me *one* of the three ingredients of neosporin, and a tiny tube of ahtlete's foot cream. Its tinyness diminishes when placed next to the world's smallest smurf medicine.

I mixed it up, put it in a syringe, passed my right hand over the precious stuff and said in an Obi-Wan voice, "This is the thrush remedy I've been looking for."








We'll see if Baasha's feet respond to jedi mind tricks!








One more thing! I went back to the pharmacy and asked if they sell examination gloves. I've been wanting to do Baasha's sheath since reading recent blogs about sheath cleaning goodness. The pharmacist looked at me funny. I bet she thinks I'm afraid to get the athlete's foot cream on my hands. Well, at least they have gloves, although not nice latex, instead vinyl. I'll take 'em! Then I looked at the package and noticed it says "Anti Aids" ...HUH!? Do people think you catch HIV by hand contact? She said, "These gloves are for the first aid kits that by law we must keep in our cars. If you come to an accident scene, they will protect you." I paused, in deep reflection of how gloves might help in horrific autobahn accidents. I used to work in healthcare, I know all about universal precautions. I really should have told them the label is wrong. The label belongs on condom packaging. Condoms are "anti-AIDS", not gloves.

3 comments:

cdncowgirl said...

Maybe some mis-translated the old saying "no glove no love"? lol

I can understand certain non-prescription products being controlled, ie cough syrups that are being mis-used or used to make meth, but aspirin??

lytha said...

cdncowgirl, *lol* no glove no love: ) that must be it.

you know, i shouldn't bitch about not being able to get aspirin at the grocery store. chances are, i'd get a headache after 8 pm, and all of the businesses are closed anyway.

whenever i'm in america, i'm like, "i'm going to the grocery store. at 10 pm on a SUNDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!"

and then the safeway employees think, "oh no, here's that crazy person who takes photographs of the goods on the shelves. bloggers. pfft."

Pat said...

Lytha,

I've tried using Pete's goo, but have had these experiences:

1. It's expensive
2. It's messy to mix up and get into a sryinge.
3. Once I got that far, there wasn't enough to go all the way around 4 frogs.
4. ALways need to buy more.

I have seen tea tree oil mixtures knock thrust out in one application of just spraying it on. And the mixture doesn't seem to have any bearing just so long as some TT oil is part of the recipe.

TT Oil is also expensive. I generally use an exepensive (GENTLE) iodine. No more than 1 or 2 percent. Sprayed around the frog, down in the collateral grooves and the center sulcus. And then all over the rest the hoof being careful not to let it run up into the hairline. Gentle iodine won't hurt if it gets to the horse's hide, but I don't like to let it happen if I can help it. Strong iodine will burn. Peole have that general sense that more is better, but with treating hooves with iodine, that is simply not true.

Pat