Monday, October 27, 2008

First trailride with company!


Left front, right front. It's amazing to me, the difference. Tomorrow I begin Pete's remedy, with what I found during my adventures today at the German pharmacy. That is another story, for when my camera batteries are recharged.

Baasha went on his first trail ride with another horse yesterday! The barn owner took Galim out with us. I am thrilled to say he behaved, he did not get frantic or rushy or competitive, but then I let him go along as close to Galim as he liked, and that meant his nose in Galim's tail sometimes. I am happy to find that Baasha can walk down hills faster than Galim, even with Galim's shoes+pads+sole packs. Baasha gimped a bit, but had to wait for poor Galim, who I noticed, does not only trip with me, but with his owner aboard as well. I did not like getting the lecture about how much shoes would help Baasha, but I feel pretty smug cuz he did so well. He trotted up all the hills, and really stretched out his walk on the paved roads/trails. I never thought I'd like all that pavement, but now I see Baasha preferring it. Interesting. Constant concussion is going to really stimulate the bloodflow in his entire hoof, and hopefully encourage new frog growth. He still lands heel-first, even with thrush in that one front foot. Even on that awful pavement, with every step he takes, everything flexes and all the parts of the foot work in harmony--the way God made them to function.

Shetland baby Ronnie is doing better, I'm glad to say, he's able to use that injured leg again. In fact, as I brought dinner yesterday, he heard my whistle first, saw me, and went galloping to the others, calling to them in baby soprano, "The food is here, the food is here!!" He looks more like a lamb than a horse, and when he galloped yesterday, with his tiny legs strumming the ground, I have to admit I smiled. He probably waited a good week before attempting a gallop, and it apparently felt very good to him. He's now decided that all three Arabians' tails are edible, and all three Arabs get their tails sprayed with toxic chemicals to dissuade him. Now my Weatherbeeta has chew marks, but not in critical areas, so far. Babies. Cute when they're happy, not when they're being destructive.

3 comments:

photogchic said...

Feet look great....I think with barefoot vs. shoes...everyone is going to feel strongly one way or the other. You just gotta do what you believe is best for your horse. Glad to hear little Ronnie is doing better.

Zoe said...

Zoe was barefoot when I first got her. We did all road work. I got so much grief from other owners telling me I would damage her bla bla. The farrier said she was fine so I kept her barefoot. Then I moved to a place where it's mostly off road and very stoney. She couldn't cope with the stones so on with the shoes...I truly believe you know your horse and your horse WILL let you know if he isn't happy. Let Baasha be your guide.
I can't be doing with the must be barefoot at any price devotees, nor the must be shod at any price devotees.

lytha said...

thanks you guys. that is what mrsmom said too, "listen to your horse, not people": )

someone else said she doesn't waste her time trying to explain/educate, she says that's what the internet is for.

but the *GERMAN* internet? who knows! should i say, "learn english and go to the 'american' internet"? hehehehe

i guess i'll just try to be a good example (i am representing my country and proving or disproving people's opinions about americans!), i'll be courteous and open minded, but follow my conscience as baasha controls it.