Friday, January 17, 2020

In case I didn't notice

Since we live in the country and there are horses around every bend in the road, Mag doesn't get many people stopping to admire him. Bellis, on the other hand, almost always can stop a family with kids who feel donkeys are superior to horses in some way.

So I was surprised when a gentleman with a white beard stopped at our driveway and started talking to Mag. Loud enough that we could hear him in the house, as he intended. I went out and he said, "Your horse is watching me, he's so pretty." I said, "There's a donkey there too." Thinking that would be more interesting, but he wanted to talk about Mag.

"Every time I walk by, he follows me with his eyes, so attentive! It would mean so much if I could meet him. And if you have a carrot I can give him, it would make my day."

How could anyone refuse that?

I brought out a carrot and the man was delighted to feed it to Mag, giggling as Mag bit off polite chunks, while I gave the other half to Bellis.

He kept using this super-formal language with me. Eloquent stuff I'll likely never master that J had to explain later, though the meaning was clear. He repeated one phrase a few times, and it roughly translates: "You've afforded me a great pleasure today."

I thought he was a little over the top and perhaps forgot some medication but I smiled and he asked about me and when he found out I'm American he shouted, "YOU'RE AMERICAN!" so loud the neighbors up the street surely heard.

He pet Mag and Mag did his cute sideways-tilted face for more treats. It is freaking adorable and I cannot take credit for that, except that it almost always works and he gets another cookie.

Then the old man said, "If you don't mind my saying so, your horse is filthy!"

*cringe*

Typical German shaming. If only he knew how much I agonize over my filthy horse. The hour I spent yesterday on Mag's tail. Would it matter? Does he expect me to keep him in the house? Would his beard be that white if his favorite thing was to roll in mud on a daily basis?

He was so enthusiastic I forgive him. But seriously neighbors, I could use some reticence born of empathy.

8 comments:

Nat D said...

Get your neighbour to help you groom ... then you will really make his day. A tiger tongue is a super cool grooming tool which is now my preferred way of grooming ... from mud, to a quick brush, to a good scrub ... perfect.

https://www.amazon.com/Epona-Tigers-Livestock-Grooming-Remover/dp/B07QMFQXF9

Shirley said...

~giggle~ Oh well at least he admired what was under the mud!

AareneX said...

Well, he IS filthy. :-) Lovely but filthy.

And ND's idea is brilliant: get the guy to brush Mag. See how long the clean lasts.

hainshome said...

That is hilarious. Everyone here loved this story. 😁❤️

ellie k said...

Sounded like your hubby yesterday. Your horse is happy and comfortable enough to lay down and roll..

TeresaA said...

He sounds like a nice man. I laughed a his comment about Mag. I like the idea of teaching him to groom. 😁

HHmplace said...

LOL! You well know that a gray's favorite color is mud brown!

lytha said...

Shirley, even your yellow colt is pristine. *sigh*

Aarene, you have our favorite idea, to scold him when he returns the next day, "What did you do? Nothing?"

Becky, glad you liked it. No greys, ever, nevermore.

Ellie, Comfortable is still a huge medical issue with Mag - he falls down a lot. Today I cleaned up continuing wounds on his pasterns and hocks and I'm not sure how the hock scars happen. We have no hard ground here. Vet says to keep him on soft ground. It's not enough. *sigh* As you say, he's comfortable enough to roll, but....lying down is a whole nother matter.

Teresa, yes, if only!

Connie, I remember Jaz's pure white tail. I know what you put into that.