Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Hartmut (White Beard Guy)

He's been here every single day. And finally my man was home and came out to rescue me from his intrusive friendliness.

My man, being German, can understand even the most mixed up of the language. It turns out he'd suffered a stroke and couldn't speak for a while, and his wife sent him to the nursing home up the street from us.

He kept repeating, "I just want to go home." But apparently he's stuck here. My husband comforted him, but seeked to understand more.

Doing so he got the name of the nursing home, and his name, Hartmut. (Cool name huh? Totally old style)

Hartmut said, "I'd like to come by here every day and give your horse a carrot."

My husband said, "Look at my wife."

I said, "When I"m HERE to let you onto the property. That's it."

Oh no, how many more days will I hide before this Ben Kenobi look-alike finds another fascination....

He said he doesn't want to make us uncomfortable (too late) and he will adhere to our rules. We'll see.

My man said one more relevant thing - "Our neighors watch our house and will turn anyone in to the police if they see anyone tresspassing."

I hope that was heard.

***

Today I was 45 minutes early for my frozen walk with Ani because I didn't want to be caught by Hartmut while grooming my horse.

The thing is, when I came home, there was a freaking Amazon delivery in my freaking tack room!!!!!!!!

No way. That means they had to go through the (open) horse gate, unclip the tack room door...I was freaking out. We have a drop off - it's our green house. My tack room? omygoodness.

So we'll be building a better tack room door that strangers (and dogs, and foxes) cannot visit, based on this last year.

And then on my way home I saw the property gate to 72 was left wide open! AGH! No one goes in there, except for the owner, and she always locks it.

We're in further negotiations currently with her for the property. Since it's taking so long to simply BUY, she asked us on Friday to LEASE until then. She doesn't want the responsibility if trees fall on our house/fence. And I'm dying to do something more than cut blackberries, which I did this week, a lot.Which I've been doing since freaking April.

Well, turns out, the owner had forgotten the gate. Whew. I had this feeling that our Old Fossil had explored.

OK he looks a bit like Ben Kenobi, what Han Solo called "Old Fossil" on meeting.

***

On Mag's mental state, just on leaving our house, he noticed a jogger behind us. That sent him upward. He cannot stand joggers, or hikers, really, if they are behind him. Finally the jogger passed us as I scolded Mag, tail over his back completely, and then I scolded him some more, "JOGGER you dummy!"

That's how it is, still. Haven't ridden since December, no desire.

12 comments:

TeresaA said...

Now you know Hartmut's story. It sounds like his stroke affected his social awareness. You said you haven't ridden since December. Did something happen? I wonder if Mag's hatred of things coming behind him is also related to his kicking behind? His instincts tell him that he's being stalked. Does he calm if he turns to face them?

lytha said...

T, how nice of you to help. December - yes. I can't even talk about it. Kicking out behind - my goodness, I do so much desensitizing with him, but any time anything touches him without his expecting it, watch out. Last week a strap fell down and hit his back leg and he kicked out so violently I thought he'd injured himself when he connected with the stone wall. How do you train a horse to accept things touching them, if they're only OK when they're expecting it, and not in the real world?

Does it help if I turn him around to face the joggers/hikers/dogs? YES! And we always do. Repeatedly. And again. Eventually they pass us and he's OK. What to do.

AareneX said...

I think TeresaA has gotten to the root of it: stroke can definitely affect a patient's social awareness. I was already wondering if he was "spectrum-y" (on the autism spectrum) from your description.

I'm starting a new thing (waiting on approval from landowner/agencies) where I leave little ziploc bags of horse treats stapled to the trailhead signs with a note that says WHEN YOU SEE HORSES, SAY "HAY!"). The note gives another sentence or two about why this is good, and says to ask riders if their horses may have a treat. My goal is to make runners/bicyclists/dog walkers aware that they WILL see horses, and what they should do when they see them. I'll let you know how that works out.

Shaste said...

I had a horse (arab) who was terrified of bikes and we rode frequently on trails where they'd sneak up behind us. We decreased his fear by having him chase the thing he was afraid of .. hubby would ride his bike around the yard and we'd chase him. Next step was come from behind (giving a wide berth) then have him chase as the bike went past.

Nat D said...

It is difficult to trust a reactive and unpredictable partner. From what I have read in your blog, it does not seem to come from malintent but more likely from Mag's own fear. That said, I remember the time on a super hot summer day when you just couldn't hike up the hill and you rode Mag through the worst of it. I think when that day comes again, you will be just put your foot in the stirrup again.

Have you heard of the 100 mile challenge of horsemanship? Essentially the recommendation is to get out and go walk your horse 100 miles in a month. (I feel like that is a lot of walking) On the street, on the trails, and just go see stuff. I certainly enjoyed all those months where I walked the trails with my horse before I started riding him. And then one day, I just felt the confidence I needed to put my foot in that stirrup.

The weather, and the cold is probably not helping you much these days. Horses are fresher, and more unpredictable. Take solace in knowing that there are days when I don't want to ride my reactive horse either. And on those days, I just don't.

lytha said...

ND, what is this 100 mile thing, just walking with your horse? I could never make 100 miles cuz our longest loop is only 20km. I'm curious though.

lytha said...

ND, is this another course that requires an enclosed area to start working with a horse? A round pen or arena? I googled it and it seems so, correct me if I'm wrong.

lytha said...

ND, I appreciate your empathizing with my situation with a fresh young horse and no where to work him before taking him into traffic.

Nat D said...

There does seem to be a site where you join a group and there are videos and exercises, etc ...but Im just referring to the idea of putting on your boots and walking those trails with Mag for 100 miles in a month. So walking a 10 km loop 3-4 times a week. Is that even feasible?

Some people in my local trail network even started an endomondo challenge online with friends to track mileage/steps.

You could then use your blog to report your progress every week.

Alternatively, Teresa has had a lot of good things to say about the TRT method, albeit a bit pricey.

Nat D said...

Take a look at these videos from Tara with her arab Farouk. I thought you might enjoy watching someone else with a young arab.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AZc4jz0kSZo

lytha said...

ND, the 100 mile challenge would be nice to do with friends, even overseas friends, if I had anyone in my same situation.

The video was cute but I admit, it made me nervous because it paralleled my outings so closely - sharing narrow streets with (mostly polite) cars, and no mountains. Streets and paved roads between crops are my least favorite places to ride/lead my horse. My dad told me never to ride a horse on pavement, after an accident he had. And yet here I am: )

Nat D said...

Ill do it with you. You could set it up as a virtual race (https://yes.fit/races) or keep it simple and we log our miles on our blogs?