Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Harir vs Equator, where Harir "pulls a Mag" at 0:30

http://www.arabianessence.tv/events/ses-planes/239/horses/e-s-harir/31168/#!/horse-videos-results

Click "Show Video" to see the amazing Harir rip into the ring and then decide "enough" and toss his handler to the ground at 0:30.

I hate his disease carrier family but I must say I find no flaw in him - his butt is less of an afterthought as so many of Mag's family seem to have, for example.


     


I just really like him, despite it all.

Compare the second place horse - Michalow's Equator, born at Mag's barn. He has a funny face/throatlatch, that is passed on to his kids.

     


I don't love Equator as much as I do his half brother Pogrom who I saw in Aachen, the most powerful, full-boned Arabian I've ever seen.

I remember when Pogrom was just standing at ease, and I was beside myself admiring him in repose. A couple of Arabian horse breeders were sitting next to me in the stands and the husband said, "So that's the type that calls to your heart." I was speechless. (Pogrom spent time in America because others like me saw it.) I feel like Equator is his funky brother, but also world-class.


     



And Poland's E line is my horse's as well as the P.

http://www.arabianessence.tv/events/ses-planes/239/horses/equator/301/#!/horse-videos-results

Equator is a professional, and has the Ekstern trot. His handler cried last time they won, and this time gives him a sugar cube. I've never seen that before.

I'm glad to own one of these E and P horses.

I'm more than happy to see kind, gentle trainers who dismiss the hard stance momentarily and let the horses sniff/say hello to the judges in a relaxed manner. Giving a cookie preceeding crying your eyes out on Equator's neck, wow, that was something!

11 comments:

TeresaA said...

He was pretty excited.

EvenSong said...

I like his butt over many Arabs’, but his head is totally misshapen! And he’s absolutely traumatized, from the look in his eyes. Thanks, but no thinks!

lytha said...

EvenSong, I hope you watched the video of Equator cuz he did a great, calm trot. His handler, Rafael, loves him. He was hugging the horse and crying last time, and this time giving him a treat, something I've never seen in the ring. Funny, I think Equator has a wonky head.

Harir has the extreme, modern look from both his grandsires, Justice (disease carrier) and Psyche (plastic surgery scandal). Everytime I see a Justice horse in the ring, I think great, are you gonna test your mares before breeding this disease on? (CA)

Nat D said...

What is the disease he carries?
When I watch this video, I remember last year when you would ride that haflinger sofa that you enjoyed so much and somebody else was riding Mag. Maybe because of the contrast, maybe because you were watching.

As for harir, I agree with Teresa ... he is EXCITED!

Gina said...

I am with EvenSong. I really struggle to see 'the horse under it all' in the in-hand Arabian shows. I have seen some AMAZING Arabian sport and endurance horses, but not of them have looked like these stallions. I wonder if they don't have mouth issues looking at their faces.

That said my breed of choice, the thoroughbred, has equally questionable studs demanding top dollar despite obvious conformational flaws.

I do like your Mag much better than both of these - Mag's body seems more solid and flows along his topline better. You have a very lovely boy with him.

lytha said...

ND, the disease is CA and it just breaks my heart because it's preventable. I recently learned that even humans can be born with CA, and of course, we don't euthanize them, we teach them to balance and control their bodies. In Germany every breeding horse's CA status is published by law in a huge list. I've spent hours browsing this list and I have a very strong opinion on what types of Arabs carry it. Definitely Spanish and Russian.

I miss Momo! If only he still lived here. The only worry I ever had riding him was that he'd trip and fall cuz he was feeble.


Gina, thanks for your kind words about Mag. Today he behaved exactly like an over-excited show horse on our walk, with his tail over his back like a Siberian Husky. It would be cute if it wasn't also annoying. And it makes me feel he is missing out on his preferre job - he would love to be in the ring and prance around in front of people.

Although I admit to liking extremely typy Arabs, I find the legs and joints more important. These Polish Arabs have joints like draft horses! I can never again abide the sight of a fine-boned Arabian. All the sale horses from Mag's barn come with measurements: age, height, and cannon bone circumference. Cuz I guess that's important?: )

Here is my favorite Arabian sport horse, perhaps you know him: https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Athlete/Kalaloch-Multi-National-Champion-Arabian-Stallion-561196377400482/

He lives in my homestate and is of Mag's P line.

Camryn said...

Whoa, sent that handler flying! I’ll stick with showing dogs lol

Nat D said...

On that we can agree! Kalaloch is gorgeous!

hainshome said...

It's a good thing he lives in WA, otherwise everyone would say his name wrong. 😁

AareneX said...

I also saw Equator's handler give him a BIG carrot when they finished the run and before they started the pose. The horse *knew* that was when he was supposed to get it, too.

I had to watch the video twice before I figured out that somebody was hazing the horse (at :30) with a grocery bag on a stick. NOTE: if you ever do that to the Dragon, she will eat you in one bite, stomp the grocery bag, and spit out your bones on the busted-up stick. And I will not stop her.

lytha said...

Aarene, there is a large movement of Arabian horse lovers who want to abolish the use of plastic sacks. Not large enough, apparently. In Aachen they are restricted to the ring entrance and every so often a handler's helper will run through the audience with a noisemaker of some sort and the announcer will stop them, which is nice cuz it's very distracting to the people trying to watch.

Wow I just flash-backed to my youth attending dog shows and I remember there would be a family member running around with a squeaky toy shouting their dog's name to get him to look more alert. It seems benign until all 15 dogs have someone doing it at the same time *lol*

The most shocking cruely I've seen was a lady standing with her horse waiting its turn. The horse was standing perfectly still, resting. Then without warning she turned to the horse and whipped it like to say, "Wake up it's almost your turn." She also had some helpers come with plastic sacks but HITTING the horse?