Tuesday, November 19, 2019

German potato salad recipe (2 videos)

I got the idea from an American YouTuber in Germany but also learned from watching my favorite German cooking YouTube channel.

Sadly in both videos the exact amounts of ingredients are not given.

The ingredients I used:

1 lb small potatoes
1 onion
nearly a cup of broth
some vinegar
some oil
2 T mustard (not French's, something strong)
pork bits (bacon?)
mini cucumber
salt & pepper
parsley

Although she'll throw in a German word or two, she holds up the ingredients so it's clear what she means. Tip, watch her on 1.5 speed, she can get silly:



My go-to guy for traditional German food:



I just realized they both used the same vinegar - a white balsamic. At about 2:30 he tastes his broth and chokes on it because it's so incredibly sour. He says this is the secret to good potato salad.  I agree, it's really good!


6 comments:

Nat D said...

The most important question: what kind of potatoes could I buy on this side of the pond that would be most similar to the amazing German potatoes?

Nat D said...

oh ... and I cant believe its just broth and vinegar???? That just blew my mind.

AareneX said...

Yay! I want to try this.

lytha said...

ND, sorry, I don't know my American potato varieties: ( It's pretty simple but I think I got lucky with the potatoes. I'm sure it's easy to ruin it by under/overcooking them.

AareneX said...

ND, I'm gonna guess something like a Yukon Gold would be a good one.

The Kelly's Adventures in KY said...

Hooray! Thank you! We're so all over this this weekend :)