Monday, October 28, 2019

A day of trains

We were given an all-day train pass and encouraged to go see our state with it. I'd never seen the Sauerland region and now I get why people make fun of you if you're from there. Well, I am assuming it's cuz it's sparsely populated and hilly.

We took 3 regional express trains. One of them is built in the Sieg river valley through the Sauerland and we kept crossing the river. In fact we crossed the river 32 times. I couldn't believe it when I got to 30. J was laughing at my amazed expression.

     



     



     


It was 9 hours of trains and to be honest it wasn't the romantic experience of a high speed train, these were full of families and often very loud children running up and down the aisle. It's kind of funny to take trains for the scenery and nothing else. In America you can do that but in Germany it's uncommon.

We went the the city of Siegen where we grabbed a geocache and then headed to Hagen, the dumpiest city I've seen yet in Germany. 

In the Cologne main station I saw two thins that got my attention. One was a fish sandwich shop with a lobster logo. Never having seen lobster in Germany - ever - I ran in there and asked if I can buy lobster. The employee looked at me like I was crazy and said no. I said, "But your logo!" J said he was shaking his head at me when I walked out.

Then there was an oatmeal shop. I couldn't believe it. I just looked it up and sure enough, just oatmeal (and coffee). Here is the website.

Below is our arrival back in Cologne. The annoying music is a street musician down there (expecting money for that?). We got on the most crowded subway ever (just like Rome) and were relieved to get out to the country and our park & ride.


6 comments:

Kitty Bo said...

I always enjoy when you share your travels with us.

EvenSong said...

I’ve always been fascinated by trains. Use to ride from Whitefish, MT to Spokane, when I first started grad school, when winter driving became iffy. Have always wanted to take the coast daylight, but have no real reason to go to CA anymore!

Achieve1dream said...

I would love to do that just once (although the loud kids would definitely be annoying)! I've still never managed to ride on a train, although I did ride a monorail and an above ground tram in Vegas a few weeks ago. I haven't ridden a subway yet either, but someday I will. Maybe our next vacation I can come visit you and do both! :D

That music sounded familiar... middle eastern maybe?

TeresaA said...

It's a good way to see the country side without the worry of driving. :)

lytha said...

KB well thank you! I will try to keep doing this, cuz "HC American in Germany" has to have more "Germany" and not only horse (or crazy, as my dad would say).

ES, I explained to J about the Pacific coast trains that are totally tourist and awesome - but to be honest I've only taken the Seattle to Portland so I cannot say much. Except it was FUN! Trains are for fun in America and for drudgery in Europe.

Achieve, my husband was amazed when he read your comment. To think, someone might have never ridden a train. I said, "And for me, to think, most Germans have never eaten a TACO." *lol* Seriously, I would say more than half of the population has never laid eyes a taco. Your next vacation should be to come here where you'll get to see both subway and train and fancy cathedrals and castles! I asked him about the music and we both, embarrassed, drew a blank. *doh*

Teresa, especially in North America: ): ) :) (But the super fast trains are awesome, and the sleeper cars....)

AareneX said...

I took a train journey to New Orleans, years ago. The Coast Starlight to California, the California Zephyr to Chicago, and then the train called The City of New Orleans to NOL. Then back up to Chicago (because that's how things are routed: it's always Chicago!) onto the Empire Builder across Montana and into Seattle. It was a great trip, for so many reasons.