Friday, July 26, 2019

Dogs hunting deer

***Update 28 July***

Our twin deer babies were in our front yard today eating and playing (one was chasing a magpie around, so cute!). And I think I found the mother. She looked familiar and ran away from me half-heartedly on 72, so I think everything is OK with our deer family. Whew!

***

We reached 107F yesterday and I slept on the living room floor cuz our bedroom is too far from the AC and poorly insulated. Sleeping on the floor with a fan on was OK but I still wake up between 2 and 4 unable to sleep. Partly because I cannot imagine how my animals can survive out there.

This morning it was 81F inside our house at 8:30AM! Opening the windows at night does not help if it never cools down much!

Right now, almost 3 PM, it's "only" 83 in our house, and it's 104F outside. I'm getting pretty quick with the C to F on google: )

Even though you try to do very little outside, there are always reasons I must go out there, and I feel kind of funny in my stomach right now from just getting groceries out of the car.

***

I told you about our baby deer twins, right? It's been so fun watching them grow. They come right into our yard and neither the mother nor the babies are afraid of me by now. Well, less afraid than normal.


     



     



     



     

Two days ago on our street two loose dogs killed a mother deer (she had to be shot by our ranger to end her suffering) and the newspaper article said she was the mother of twins.

I still don't know if it's *our* twins that lost their mother. I searched for them and found a lone adult on 72, but she didn't seem to know me and she ran across the street across the field, which is not typical for our family of deer.

J called the ranger and asked him to come help find the twins, because the article said they would die without the mother. But it's been 2 days and in this heat, it's too late.

The nice gentleman at the curve in the road is the one who witnessed the dogs, called the police and took a photo for the newspaper. A black lab and a golden retriever. The ranger asked us to please help find these dogs, because they want to press charges. I will do my best.

I'm pissed that loose dogs even exist on our street - I've never seen one before. And it gives me yet another thing to worry about when out riding, because if they hunt deer, they might want to chase a horse. I'm less worried about them coming on my property to hunt my animals, because I think Bellis would protect Mag.

I'm going to go talk to the gentleman and ask if he has any more photos. I'm thinking of making a "wanted" flyer, some sort of appeal to dog owners to be more responsible.

5 comments:

Nat D said...

Wow! That heat is atrocious! Is any of that the humidity factor?
Those dogs seems pretty wild. My german shepherd was fast and agile but never caught up to the semi-tame deer lurking in our woods. Makes me wonder if the deer was already injured or trapped in a fence.

Of course, being the “foreigner” you might want to tread carefully before you start accusing neighbours of bad dog ownership. I imagine that might not go over so well.

Stay cool! I hear the body does adjust ... eventually.

Camryn said...

Such beautiful babies, certainly hope it wasn’t their Momma. Loose dogs are a huge peeve of mine. I always wonder at the huge number of lost dog FB posts in our area. WTF, fence your yard people! I’ve watched the minis chase a few large strays out of the back pasture. While I’m glad they stand up for themselves, it also terrifies me!

AareneX said...

Dogs hunting deer will also hunt livestock. Around here, that's a death sentence :-(

Shirley said...

107.... I would melt. 90 is too hot for me. Here is a trick to help cool off, get a spray bottle of water and spray it in front of a fan to mist yourself. One store here has outdoor misters in front of their entrance for customers to cool off. Great idea!
I hope it wasn't your mama deer.

AareneX said...

Good news on seeing them again. Thanks for the update!