Wednesday, May 15, 2019

My only non-white horse

My cloud server came up with some memories from 2014, and I wanted to share.
     

I don't know what exactly is going on here but it cracks me up. The donkey seems to have the upper hand, whatever they're talking about.


     

I loved how at the beginning of Summer, she was a dark chestnut with her black skin showing through on her face. And that mane! Perfect for grabbing in life or death situations. I used to actually brush it. I never brush Mag's mane, he'd have nothing left if I did. I never gave Mara a bridle path. She wasn't Arabian, so I didn't feel she should have one. I did spend a lot of hours training that mane to lay on one side!


     

By late Summer the sun would bleach her orange.

Which is still way, way better than white.


     

I put a lot of miles on her in the 2.5 years I fought with her. She hated every minute unless we were in an arena, where she showed me what she really wants in life.


     

And thankfully her new owners have an arena where she shines. (My goodness she had tiny legs, both length and width!)


     

Since it made no difference to bathe her, I simply washed her white stocking and that was that. Oh, how I miss that.


     

By living in a constant state of alarm, she conditioned herself. I didn't work her enough for this level of fitness - she was just tense all the time. And pooped grapes. I did fix her mane in the end, but could do nothing about her ridiculous tail (she had no feathers).

I want to encourage you to sell a horse you have no bond with and cannot enjoy, because someone else might. How lucky did I get? I don't know, but I am so relieved she is in a better place. Some would say I should have sold her sooner, but I think that extra time gave her buyer a much better test trail ride. (Where I held my breath the entire time!)

"Daddy, can I have her? Please?"

"Let's see if your mom is smiling when she rides back to us."

"She's smiling! Can I have her? She's smiling!"

"You can have her."
: )

***

Today I realized Mag has developed a better topline - his major weakness. All his edges and ribs are gone, and a little belly has come along. It has not rained in 4 days so there is no mud for him to lounge in, and I was amazed at how he looked today as he followed me around the pasture.

Menahune apparently bathed him in the night with QuicSilver - his coat was gleaming. It's rare that a white horse can reflect the sun.

He lost me for a moment (I think he does this on purpose) and then galloped joyfully to catch up, bucking hugely stride after stride. He was so excited when he finally caught me, he leaped into the air before halting beside me.

OK then, calm down Mag. Unless the Menahune are also conditioning him at night, he apparently has been doing it himself in these outbursts on these steep hills, as proven by the hoof-slashed earth.

"Mag, be careful."
     

"I'm good, I won't run you over!"

3 comments:

Kitty Bo said...

Wonderful!

AareneX said...

You're just lucky that your good neighbors don't tie his mane into elflocks! Hana suffered from that constantly--Fiddle, never. Hmmmm.

Srsly, you think that only Arabs need a bridle path? Fee gets one because otherwise her mane gets all tangled in the biothane headstall. She does get a soap-and-water bath only 2 or 3 times per year, though, because brown. She has dapples now!

HHmplace said...

Some really great photos there! Good story too :-)