Thursday, April 18, 2019

Riding with Ulrike

Ani invited Ulrike to ride with us today. When was the last time I've ridden Mag out with more than one other horse? Ever? I cannot remember.

     



Ulrike is a tiny lady who makes her Icelandic gelding look like a big horse. She's also the most popular person in this town. She keeps her finger on the pulse of our horse community. I was excited to see her again and get all the news. (Mostly who owns which horse, which horses sold, etc.)

It's lovely riding with someone who keeps the conversation going, it really helps me stay relaxed. She had so many stories I was able to enjoy myself today. Mag was pretty surprised about TWO horses though, one in front, one behind, he didn't know what to think, he kept glancing over his shoulder.

We showed her our favorite long loop and I felt bad for Ani who kind of stayed out of the conversation. Normally I'm the socially axious freak who clams up in a group of 3. I suppose this is Ani's normal - she can ride along with me and never start a single conversation. Which is fine, except I kind or rely on that at this point in my life.

I felt bad for Ani and kept turning the conversation back to Ani, telling Ulrike how Ani and I were at Equitana, and saying this is Ani's favorite trail, and so on. Trying to urge Ani to say something, but oh well.

Ulrike's Icelandic was so typical for his breed. Totally "Flott" (forward) and totally chill. Sweetest expression ever that never changed the entire 3 hours.  I think his name is Shmarl. She grinned at the way I say his name (the dreaded "American R").



Random photo showing his sweet expression. You see why I want one of these?


I joked that he'd leave us a trail of hair to follow if we lose our way, he was shedding so much!

It was nice to be able to ride side by side with someone and not worry about certain death (Rudi).

I hopped off to ride on the asphalt and a few minutes later Mag rocketed forward, snorting, tail in the air. I hadn't noticed anything so I asked Ulrike, "What was that?" She said, "I'm sorry, I trotted a few steps to catch up." Weird. Apparently Mag is not used to a horse doing that to him - the hypocrite - cuz I often ask him to trot to catch up to Rudi.

I said, loud enough for Ulrike to hear, "Mag! These things happen! Other horses might TROT without warning! Du meine Guete!" And to Ulrike, "Actually it's good, we should practice this! Do it again!"

I was still on foot so I felt safe and she trotted a few steps to catch Mag again. He still did not like it. True, the Icelandic has very loud metal shoes, but Mag can learn this in time.

The problem was we were at the intersection where I normally climb back on Mag and where Rudi always has a little fit about waiting for us, because it's the turning point for going home. She's not dumb, she knows her geography.

As usual, Ani was already up the hill a ways fighting to get Rudi to wait for me to get on.

Ulrike was siting on Schmarl at the intersection, and she commented, "Wow, you guys have got my lazy horse fired up today! He's actually pawing the ground to go!" I didn't notice but I circled Mag back to her and planted him nose to nose with the Icelandic, and said, "Then I'll help you show him it's OK to wait." Cuz in my book, things should go both ways, riders should help each other whenever possible.

However, Ani couldn't take it another second and shouted at us, "CAN WE JUST GO!!!"

Sounds familiar, huh? *big sigh*

I understand Rudi does not belong to Ani, so she's not totally invested, but it's so frustrating that she never wants to do anything that simulates training - she just wants to sit up there and be carried along. She was this way with her own horse too, sad to say. I'd offer to work on something on-trail, and she'd just shrug and let her horse do what it wanted.

I appreciate Ani so much because she rides with me twice weekly mid-week mornings and never ever cancles.

It's just, it was so nice to ride with a "normal" person who takes the chance to train when possible. Not that I'm a normal person at all, I understand I'm a freak, but it was like rain on a too-humid day, I wanted to drench myself in this feeling.

This is how people ride who want to better themselves and their horses.

***

We started back toward home, Rudi way in the lead, but with Ulrike behind me and Mag, Mag became jiggy and anxious, pulling the reins hard (his way of saying, "You cannot control me!"). Oh dear, he fully expected to have that little horse come trotting up on his butt again! I pulled him to the side and said, "Ulrike would you mind passing us? Mag is quite hectic suddenly!" She did, and Mag settled down.

The little Icelandic is so funny. He just stops suddenly, "Tired now. Must recharge batteries." And he did it so many times once I ended up almost on top of him! I pulled Mag's head off his butt, apologizing. Ulrike felt bad for him and jumped off and walked the pony up that big hill. I told her how kind she is to him. Indeed, his sides were heaving at the top.

Mag did a full-body shake with me on him, which always unnerves me because that sent him into a panic with Ani last year. This time it was OK, he's figuring out that when he does that, the rider goes all wonky but that's not the end of the world.

At the parting ways point, Ulrike said in very formal German, "I thank you both for inviting me to ride with you today." I was blown away - she was wonderful, she helped me, and and and....

I said, "Next time we practice that trotting up Mag's butt thing again!"

She said, "And I'll bring my dog, if that's not too challenging for you." I grimaced, "Um...."

She went right, we went left, and the silence began. It's OK, I enjoy riding with silent riders too, or I used to. I just enjoyed Ulrike so much today.

I hope so much she'll join us again. Unfortunately she lives way over on the other side of town, where Ani used to board Mira. Yah, that stretch of mostly streets and fast traffic. It was so stressful for me I'm happy to not have to go there again. I'll have to entice her to come over here again.

But then again, she's Ulrike. The most-popular one, who knows if I'll get a chance.


4 comments:

irish horse said...

Such good training for Mag, and glad you got to rider with another friend…one that understands there is always room for training time!

AareneX said...

Good riding partners are great to have!

I found this article yesterday about stopping a runaway horse, and I really like it. The author makes the point that a horse can be a "runaway" at a walk! Or any other time that s/he flips the rider the bird instead of stopping. Lots of great exercises in it that are really easy to practice on the trail at a walk. https://bit.ly/2Un4NMc

I can never get over how CUTE Icelandic horses are. My friend Dawn breeds and rides them, they are awesome...but they look like toy horses standing next to mine, lol.

lytha said...

Irish, I'm sure you'd be a great training partner!

Aarene, I don't even have to go to your link, I've read it. Such a good point that a horse that won't stop and stand on trail is basically a runaway. I'll read it again though!

As expensive as Icis are in Germany, I cannot imagine how much more they cost in America!

TeresaA said...

It sounds like a good ride.