Friday, April 20, 2018

I'm a Haflinger rider

This week I've been depressed, for the first time in my life that I'm aware of. Two people even noticed, so I guess it's true. For the first time in my life I didn't want to get out of bed in the morning.

I prayed and thought what can I do, I cannot send Mag away again, and I don't know a single trainer that I trust and find competent.

It's been since Baasha died that I've really enjoyed riding. 6 years of just "surviving" on horses, made more painful by the fact I've been unemployed most of that time, so I have all the time in the world creating cognitive dissonance in my type A horse crazy mind.

Then a thought occurred to me, what if I could find a lease horse close enough that I can walk to, and old enough that I can just sit on and enjoy nature from horseback? And optimally, use to PONY Mag from!?

Before I'd left for America I'd asked Seli if I could perhaps ride Momo for the first time, just to see what he's like. That was before the accident with Mag last week, of course, but we'd set our date and that was today.

I realized she assumed she'd be riding Mag, so I insisted she wear a helmet. My husband even said, "If she refuses, make her sign something." I thought, signing something doeesn't matter much when you're dead, but OK.

We've had an entire week of Summer weather, and Mag was very relaxed on our way to her barn, which is about a 15 minute walk. We watched two rabbits frolicking in the dead ferns, their coats blending in perfectly. One of those rabbits could feed a family of 5, they're so big.

I'm not superstitious at all but it crossed my mind that two rabbits frolicking might be a good sign, cuz I've never seen that before.

Seli had on a tank top, short shorts, and a HELMET, thank God.

When she tried to mount Mag, Mag had some sort of flashback and said NO WAY. I've never seen him act like that before but he refused to stand by the mounting block, and even when I asked him to move his hips over, he absolutely refused, resisting my hand. We kept trying and trying (with an audience) and I had no idea what his problem was. She's his hoof trimmer, she's no stranger. He nibbles her clothing as she works on his hooves, he finds her tasty.

Then I did something that I later considered to be dirty. I jumped on the low wall and asked him to line up and then pat him all over as I often do before I mount, and even half mounted a few times. He stood like a rock. Then Seli sidled up to me and jumped on Mag when he was expecting me to mount. See, that was a mean trick, but at the time I was just curious what if he'd even let me on.

Mag's eyes were wild but he didn't freak out. That pavement looked pretty rough to land on.

Then I got on Momo, the one-eyed Haflinger. He took his first steps and I exclaimed, "He's a SHIP!" His whole body swayed side to side as he walked, and his Western saddle felt enormous and was so loud I couldn't hear anyone talking on our ride.

I felt insecure about my steering because he's got a neck three times the size of Mag's, but shorter, and he wears a sidepull, and knows how to use his strength. I feel gloves are a good idea for next time, because when he dives for grass, his rope reins burn my hands.

This girl named Caro joined us on a Tinker named Gypsy, which I had to explain was ironic cuz that is what the breed is called in America. The Gypsy was lazier, stubborner, and even more grass-drawn than Momo. Poor Caro!

Mag took the lead and even jigged as we headed out. I told her how I correct that and he quit eventually. No jigging, ever. I had that with Baasha his entire life and I won't have it again.

I must say they made quite a sight, this tiny delicate young lady on a slender Arab with his tail straight up like a banner.

I don't want another horse that MUST be in the lead (Baasha) but it was really cool to see Mag boldly go. I mean, he was way out there at times, 20 meters in front, striding along without ever glancing at any item. No spook all day, wow.

His motivation blew Seli away, she said, "My gosh, the power of this horse, the impulsion! I don't have to ask him to go, in fact the opposite, I have to ask him to slow down."

She asked how I was enjoying Momo and I said, "To be honest, I am worried about you, about what Mag will do." Because God only knows, at this point in time.

Well, they had to stop and wait for us our entire ride, and Mag got to where he would stop on his own, turn and wait for us, and then proceed. If she asked him to hold still longer, he would fight a little, and paw the ground.

He also did that hectic head-tossing thing a few times, expressing how much he wants to go. But she laughed at him. When he squealed and struck the ground with a foreleg on meeting Gypsy nose-to-nose, she said, "OK I'm riding a stallion!" I don't laugh at his head tossing because I've seen and felt it escalate into half-rearing.

We came to one intersection and Mag wanted to go one way, Gypsy another, and Momo was the only good one and went the way we intended.

Every time I got in the lead, Mag would impatiently pass us. I bet he thought it was a trip, to see me on another horse, and to have me talking to him from over there on Momo.

It sure was a trip to see someone ride Mag an entire trail ride! You know how cool it is to see someone else ride your horse, well up til now I've only seen Ani ride him 3 times in an arena, so this was really cool.

At one point Mag got itchy and he shook himself. And in that moment, he panicked again. His tail tucked into a J, he dropped his hindquarters and he skittered about, but then he changed his mind and held it together. Remember Ani's second fall was when he shook with her on his back and it felt/sounded/?? unexpected to him. That was the most potentially disastrous thing that happened all day.

Halfway through our two-hour ride I noticed I was enjoying the trail, looking at the plants. My mind had wandered, I was not stressed. Momo was as reliable as a ranch horse.

At one point Caro dropped her whip and had to get off, and couldn't remount cuz she had one of those fancy wool Spanish bareback pads, with stirrups. Seli instructed me to line Momo up with Gypsy, and then put my foot in Gypsy's off stirrup. WTH. OK, but I decided to use my hand and hold her leather instead, and it worked. At this point Mag started to go crazy because we had clearly spent too long in one spot, and Seli just turned him around in a circle and asked him to stand again. Much more standing practice is needed, but it really does take a team - I need other riders to sign on to that and have the patience it takes. Amazing how few riders care to teach this and their horses can never stand still on trail.

We rode on Hohestrasse twice!  I've been avoiding even leading Mag on it since he fruck out on it this Winter and I almost lost him. That awful dog was there at the curve in the road where cars go 100KPH and did that stalking/attacking the fence thing, and Mag wasn't happy about it but nothing bad happened. Momo expressed his most anxiety about another dog by simply pricking his ears. I noticed. Hm, his ears are pricked, but I have no idea why. Seli said, "He really hates that dog." !!!

A bicyclist rang his bell from behind and passed us all, and it was all good, our three horses shifted to the side and I thanked the biker even as I was thanking God that Mag was OK with that.

Back at Hohestrasse near the end of our ride, Mag decided he really needed to take a left turn and head for home, and would not settle down. We were way behind, around the corner, and did not see. But when we arrived, I found Seli scolding Mag and saying, "You will stand here with all feet still for one moment." It took a while, but he gave in. Heck, he had two large, immobile cold bloods standing beside him, how can it be so hard to stand for one moment? *sigh* I know I expect a lot, but ....come on, two immobile cold bloods standing right beside him and he's dancing around.

At that moment my respect for Seli was full - she saw the problem and she addressed it. She did not just give in and let him skitter towards home.

She kicked her feet out of the stirrups, and rode Mag one handed on the buckle across Hohestrasse. Perfect trust, even when an ambulance went by.

Back at their barn, I asked if I could give Momo a bath, cuz he was soaking wet. She thought I meant to spray him off and I said no, with soap: ) So I did, but it was one of those most unrewarding baths on brown horses where you cannot tell a difference before and after. I don't think he even smelled better (he smells pretty rank).

Mag was tied next to him and rubbing his sweaty head on his, they did mutual head rubbing and chest/neck biting. Very cute.

Seli said, "Wanna go again next week?"

I said, "Seli, I was thinking about getting a lease horse, an older, safe horse, so I can learn to enjoy riding again."

She said, "If you'd have ridden Momo the last 16 years, you wouldn't have any problems with riding young horses!" (I disagree, but..)

Then she said I'm welcome to ride him even without her (!!) because they'd had the horsey scale out last week and he'd gained 30 kilos. I guess that's a lot. She said, "You can make Momo fit again!" She continued, "I work so hard I don't have the energy to ride, but you are always available to ride."

I wonder if the horsey scale showing up last week, finding out Momo has gained weight, was the key to my problem - if that was an answer to prayer.

I pondered if she's really offering me a free lease, but said, "I would like to repeat what we did today, and ride with you regularly, where I can enjoy your Momo, and you can prove to my eyes that my horse is actually OK."

I was ready to commit to paying her monthly, but wouldn't it be cool if we could mutually help each other? I did mention that I would love to pony Mag off a steady older horse, and she replied that Momo has done it and is fine. Of course he's fine, he lets Mag bite him all over and doesn't react. And Mag would be so easy to pony, he's so light on the lead. (My donkey is NOT a good ponying candidate - tried that once - never again. She just plants herself and tries to rip me in two, like the Levi's jeans logo - a pair of Levi jeans tied between two horses.)

I touched Seli's hand and said, "Thank you very much for today." Then I turned to Caro, "I thank you too." She said, "Can I come along next week? By my reckoning we made a good team." (I thought that was diplomatic and cute.) Yes of course you can come along!

I am not sure what will happen, but I have hope that it will be good. At this point if Ani asked me to go out trail riding, I'd say yes.

But it was so nice to just sit back and enjoy the ride. Next time, I'm bringing my Wintec, cuz owwwwwww Western saddles!

Life lessons.

I find that in my life I end up doing what I most despise in others. It's horrible to be a hypocrite, but it happens often, over the years. When I moved to Germany I boarded Baasha with an endurance rider who was afraid to ride her endurance horse alone. She needed someone with her every ride. I thought it was ridiculous, cuz she is an FEI rider. She hated me for taking Baasha out alone and not asking her to come with. No, I ride alone! Now... I'm a hypocrite.

In my old life, I knew a lady who bought an expensive endurance-bred Arabian and never rode him. Not that I know of, but every single training ride, every endurance ride, she was on a steadier horse (yet still fiery!) and she would have Aarene ride her rocket. I thought, no, you don't buy your dream horse and then ask someone else to ride him. Now.....Hypocrite.

*sigh*






14 comments:

carol said...

it's ok, life and circumstances change us and our opinions. I think you have discovered a good solution. Mag gets the miles and time being ridden and you get to enjoy yourself. It does take a village sometimes, and I'm so glad you have found someone to help you and be a friend.

Camryn said...

You of course had me at "Haflinger!" Sounds like a great time & infinite possibilities with the three of you. Do they know Ani as well? I so miss riding, love my Minis but!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Well, all of that sounds encouraging. I kind of wonder if Mag is a one person horse, and you are his person. Maybe he fears that if someone else rides him, he'll have to start over in a new home with a new person. You are within his comfort zone. But I'm impressed that she was able to ride without stirrups and be such a relaxed rider toward the end.

Nat D said...

Have you considered also taking confidence-building lessons on your own horse?

Kitty Bo said...

Oh, Lytha, I well understand that depression that an Arabian horse can bring. Horses are so often idealized as the great noble creatures, but the truth is, is that they are butt heads and can be very dangerous. When they get loose, what do they do? They take off, they escape and have to be caught. There is always that untamed part of them waiting to take control back. I've ridden different kinds of horses, but Arabians were the most challenging. Because of my years of riding Arabians, I got to where my mind would automatically do the math of how a horse was going spook when I got on it. I could tell by how a horse felt under me. After my last Arabian, I had to work through some major ptsd when I got back on a horse.
Horses pick up bad habits instantly, and especially Arabians.
Khanalee was very sensitive. I once dropped the reins and made my seat very lose, like I wasn't paying attention. He immediately spooked. He wanted to know I was there. A teenage friend, who was an excellent rider and had a big 16hh Arabian, once tried riding him, but because she didn't understand dressage, he didn't respond and got pissed. Arabians want to know that someone is in charge, and they will take advantage of that. Ani was not a strong rider, perhaps too gentle, and Mag sensed it. So he spooked and got away with it. Rinse and repeat. Bad habit instantly. But Sali gets on him, rides him with authority, and he submits. He's not a bad horse. A friggin' Arabian, yes, and he has to be ridden with authority. That's the nature of the Arabian beast. Arabians have been bred to be hot unfortunately, but that heat can be taken control of and purposed, but it's not for the faint of heart. I must admit that the horses I had after the Arabians were very healing for me, and as much as I love Arabians, I would not have another.
That being said, what you have ahead of you is a journey in your mind that you have to take to over ride your anxiety about Mag. Yes, you are doing the math in your head about his spooks, and if you let it, it will translate itself to your seat in the saddle, and he will sense it. Arabians are that sensitive. They are sensitive to their environment and their rider, to everything. I have found that anger is a good way to channel fear, and you have to convince yourself that hell yes, you are going to stay in control, and you will have yourself a good mount. Be aware of the math in your head, of possibilities, but work to not turn them into probabilities. Stay focused on your horse, staying in control and determine that you will stay in that saddle.
I found that having strong abs and working out on weights for my upper body helped too.

lytha said...

Carol, I'm glad you see it this way: )

Camryn, you driving them still?

NM, I've never experienced a one-person horse, but Mag would be it, I suppose. But we're on our way to fixing that! He went from "Heck no, you won't get on me" to "OK fine" like flipping a switch, so that's good!

Duches, I've exhausted all the local trainer supplies, I believe. I know of no one who would come here who I would trust to be competent. Helpful and expensive, yes, but competent with Arabians, no. I'm on a waiting list though for a trainer I observed once and might be OK.

KB, thanks for your detailed comment. My friend S1 said, "This is my last Arabian, I'm done!" and I wonder if that's the case for me. I must clarify the difference between Mag spooking and the panic he suffered last week. The one time Mag dumped me was an honest spook, a cat jumped off the barn rail/wall directly into his path, and he skittered so hard I hit the ground before I knew what happened. But any horse would have reacted the same, so I dusted myself off and got back on and was fine...well, mostly fine *lol*

Last Wednesday he experienced sheer panic. Out of control, he lost his mind and ran blindly around us after dumping Ani. He was absolutely terrified and kept crashing into the mare to save him, and she kicked him rightfully so. I hate to say "You had to be there" but I don't know if you can imagine the difference. This must be what the dealer explained to me before I got on the first time, why he was so fanatical/paranoid about me on Mag's back.

Today I threw a huge plastic mesh garden waste sack on Mag's back without warning and it hovered there a moment before falling to the ground when the wind caught it. He was fine. I am perplexed because all this sacking out I do at home did not help when he heard the rustle of Ani's jacket.

Kitty Bo said...

I understand what you are saying. There is a bomb that goes off in their head. And you never forget it, and nor do they. Truly, the barn that had him probably let him get away with sh** and it was there in his mind to trigger to a higher level. My other Arabians, and especially Khanalee, could have that level of panic. As Khanalee got older, he got better. The difference between Khanalee and Maguire, my hotter Arabian, is that while Maguire could be spooky, Khanalee could be fearful. But he did get better with age, and part of that was because he knew I expected it of him.

Shirley said...

Interesting post and some interesting comments.
I totally understand about not wanting to ride the hot ones as you get older; it is why I have gone through several horses over the last few years. I value a steady horse now so much more than I did in my younger days. I think I have earned that right ;)
If your friend rides him lots and gets along with him perhaps a mutual lease exchange would benefit both of you and Mags would get the work he needs.

Kitty Bo said...

But I don't think Mag is a fearful horse. Mara, yes, and I think she was probably mentally off, which can happen. Horses can scare themselves, and I think Arabians are very good at this because that instinct is so close to the surface. Even the most expert of horse people dread these kind of situations because horses can learn to have power from them. But you tried to take control of the situation (Ani was brave to get back on but probably not wise.) And then Mag tested things when Seli went to get on him. The wonderful thing is that he submitted. Part of this is to Mag's credit, but part of it is because you have not taken sh** off of Mag. I think you can be proud of him and proud of yourself.

AareneX said...

Backtracking over your beliefs is a sign of growth. I always swore that I'd never ride a horse that needed spurs...but the Dragon likes teeny little cues, and I give those best with the tip of a spur. Sigh. Another strong belief bites the dust. Never say "never" (or "always", either!)

I think a lot of people (not you) try to buy success in endurance at first. They buy the "Right" horse, saddle, bridle, breeches, boots, and every other dang thing in the world, except that stuff isn't "right" for everybody. That's how I ended up riding that "dream horse"...except I put 2,000 miles on him before I figured out that *I* would rather be riding my free-including-delivery off-brand mare.

I'm glad you're problem-solving some stuff. I daresay Mag's "refusal" to let your friend mount may be confusion more than badness. How many other people ride him routinely? I've taken great pains to make sure that the Dragon can be ridden by anybody who has basic skill...and it turns out that she's best-behaved for beginners! One of those mare things, possibly, she does take good care of anybody she classifies as a "baby." Mag can get used to being handled and ridden by other people, but it might take time.

The jacket-spook, though, I don't know. Mag is easily rattled. Toad was the same way. Changes made Toad very nervous--even moving the jump standards around the arena gave him huge worries. It took years of taking him into all kinds of crazy situations to get him to trust me more than he trusted himself, and he didn't trust anybody else, just me. I would have expanded that if I could, but there was nobody else around that I trusted either except Jim, and he and the Toad were NOT a good match. Certainly his owner was not somebody who could be counted on to keep him safe according to his own standards! So, for Mag: Ani was somebody he is accustomed to see on the ground. She gets in the saddle, you've basically rearranged all his furniture. If Ani can't be trusted to stay on the ground, maybe she'll do something else she's never done. Cue the zombie apocalypse. I swear, imaginative horses are their own worst enemies.

Nicole A said...

I’ve experienced one person horses. Both of my Pasos were one-person horses: Lucero wouldn’t budge if anyone else was on him, no matter how skilled they were as riders nor how hard they pony kicked. He’d grow roots. Indio simply wouldn’t let anyone else swing a leg over. He would lose his mind. Me? He’d stand quietly for and wait for me to settle in the saddle. Lily was a one-person horse as well for the first 5 years that I owned her. She would act like her rider was going to kill her if anyone else got on.

I wouldn’t be afraid of Mag. He hasn’t done this to you, only other people. In fact, I would trust him even more because of it, because it means he *wants* to be your partner. He *wants* YOU, and only you, in the saddle. That’s a pretty amazing thing to find in a horse. ❤️

Nicole A said...

Also, what Aarene said. I second all of that. 😊

lytha said...

Shirley, one thing I love about your blog, you are completely honest. You're not afraid to say you've bought and sold in your search.

KB, so glad you understand the difference between Mara and Mag! She had uncontrollable fear in the woods with me, her heart pounding out of her chest when she spotted a deer. I believe Mag is less reactive for his breed, I really do....so far! You're right that Ani was brave but not wise. Isn't that what we're all taught though, "Get back on the horse. Hospital, or back on!" (G Morris) And today she tried again, and we aborted. Thanks so much for your encouragement.

Aarene, I remember Jim riding a black mare that had that maternal instinct toward her riders. I forget her name. I still think Mag is less reactive than most, but has a definite issue with fabrics or things touching his body unexpectedly. He's kicked a trees many times.

Saiph, well if a Paso stands still to express itself, it sounds like fine breed to me: )



AareneX said...

Lytha: the black mare was Blue, a saint among horses. Not my type, she was perfect for Jim.

Saiph: I've ridden a "Lucero" Paso Fino ! Lucero Reedo Dr Rioto, aka Pete, who belongs to my friend Paul--we did a 25 miler together in Spokane a few years ago. They must be related! I think that makes us cousins!