Thursday, October 13, 2022

TP's secret farmer

Our hay farmer canceled on us this year and we had a field full of hay.

J called everyone we know who might help, and as a last resort, called TP, my acquaintance I do not call a friend anymore.

Remember when I told her I'd spend the day helping her at a horse show? When I arrived and asked how I can help she said, "It's best you don't speak to me, I'm trying to concentrate."

So I helped her in silence all day. At one point I started to remove a lump of saddle wax from her saddle and she said, "Don't touch my saddle!" OK then.

Due to her strange behavior I have avoided going up to her lovely arena to ride, also, she has a lot of boarders now, and dogs, and it's just no fun. And the arena is enclosed by electric wire that is always on, so that resulted in a shocking experience for Mag and I.

I have to mention that not long ago her sweet husband Charlie hit her and left her. She was surprised, I was not. She abused him terribly. He built her a horse boarding farm with his own hands exactly as she wished everything built.

I couldn't believe he didn't leave her sooner. He's in the process of suing her now, for the money she's making in her horse boarding business. I know it sounds cruel of me to say this, but if you could have heard how she spoke to him like a child...or a lackey....

***

So we ended up contacting TP as a last resort. I asked J to do it because I wanted to be sure the communication was free of language barriers.

She said she would call around and find someone, but we were not allowed to continue our search, because she didn't want to have to cancel if she found someone. That's understandable.

A week later we heard back from her; she'd found someone to harvest our hay. 

But she was very adamant that I remove the cross fencing. Um, what? Of course I'd remove cross fencing, you can't have mowers going through fences, I'm not an idiot. It was a little bit offensive.

Then she said she walked our pasture at night, twice, and found an unreasonable amount of horse poop along one side of one fence. It's true, I am not so careful about horse poop along fencelines, because in all these years, I've never had a problem with horse poop in my hay. 

TP said, "We cannot work in this pig sty. You must clean it all up!"

So we did. 

***

We asked TP to let us know what hay farmer would be coming. 

Honest question, right? 

She said, "Don't you worry your heads about it. It's not important that you know who."

WTactualH!?~?~?She literally said "don't worry your heads"

I started worrying.... a LOT.

Why would it be a secret, who is mowing our field? We have insurance for people working here, if we know who is working here! 

It is part of the insuranc we pay yearly to own a farm, and we need to know who is here.

I could only imagine there was an illegal aspect to this situation.

We asked TP for 100Euros to pay for the part of our pasture that we lease, its yearly fee, in order to have all the hay mown and removed for "free." 

We obviously cannot have a field of hay overwinter, uncut and unused. 

TP agreed to the 100Euros for the farmer's fee. Hrm. 

Why won't she tell us who it is? 

There was only one explanation: she was getting a cut. She was getting a percentage of the money made off of our field.

Not that that is a horrible thing, oh no, it's just weird that she wouldn't tell us. If we are not allowed to know the farmer, it leads to the conclusion that she needs her cut in the deal. 

(If it's not obvious, we don't care about that. She was doing us a favor by making a few phone calls. That she is taking a percentage is fine with us. There is no need to hide that information.)

***

I watched the farmer mow our field, and turn our field, day after day, and I went across the street to our good neighbors, and asked them, "Do you know which farmer this is?" 

Petra said, "That's Muehlinghause, right?" 

Her husband couldn't confirm it. I remembered the name. 

***

The next time the green tractor with the yellow wheels was here to turn hay, I got the license plate. 

Important note: At this point, I sent her a text saying thank you for helping us, it's a relief to have our field mown.   THANK YOU TP!!!

***

In the meantime I worked as a medic with police at our "country fair" and asked if a cop would run a plate for me. haha, this is not  TV, this is Germany, of course not. 

GL MP30

***

Back at the ranch, I investedgated the name Muehlinghaus and found he's a hugely popular hay farmer in our neighborhood, one who stands for the rights of all other hay farmers, in the Bergisches Morgenpost, our local newspaper. In fact....

He's in the newspaper so often it was easy for me to find a photo of him standing next to his big green John Deere with yellow wheels with the license GL MP30.

Y E S !!!!!

***

They took 7 large round bales away from our field. Not as much as normal, but still something; the price is 200Euros per round bale.

***

I finally had the answer to the big mystery of TP's secret farmer. 

I started to worry. And fret. And shut my window coverings because I know she likes to walk by with her dog. 

I knew it would happen.

The mean thing I did was not to warn my innocent husband of her inevitable arrival.

And then she arrived. With her airdale terrier and her white Arabian horse. She joked as I answered my door, "I caught Mag on the street!" 

I immediatley ran to my husband's office and said, "Please come deal with this."

***

She laid into us with "How could you not fall on your throats for all the work I did for you?"

She actually used that particular line twice, because our lack of falling on our throats was so lacking for her.

I didn't know what that meant, but I could guess. We were supposed to thank her ....more.

My husband was absolutely taken aback by her anger and yelling, "They only got THREE bales of hay from your field!!!!!!!!!!!" (No, 7.)

He said, "We would have liked to have known, for insurance purposes, who worked on our property. For insurance purposes."

She said, "You have no need to know. Who ever knows who is actually mowing a field?"

He said, "We normally do, if that's not normal for you, all I can say is it's normal for us."

She was infuriated by this. 

She tugged her animals away from us and said, "You ungrateful people, I want nothing to do with either of you ever again!"

I was never more apologetic about anything in my life, as I realized how shook up my husband was. 

He had no idea that people could be so unreasonable, so ....crazy.

I apologized again and again, but he'll never forget how awful horse crazy people can be. And I do blame it on horse crazy people. There are none of us that are not at least a little crazy.

***

"I'm so sorry J, I'm so sorry."

"I'm calling her," he said.

Why?

Truly, a few days later he called TP, our local witch of the East, and said, "I need to talk to you."

He explained that he was taken off guard, that perhaps we should have been more grateful, and  -----ON MY REQUEST --- he told her that she deserved the 100Euros for the field rental, that we agreed to pay her secret farmer. 

Her anger was appeased at the idea of that 100 bucks. (I'm still sure she got a percentage off the total harvest off our field, so...)

So she deceived us, got paid by the farmer, and got paid by us. 

And she FORGAVE us. 

***

I know who the farmer was, Torsten Muehlinghaus from Habenichts. TP does not want us to have direct contact with him. 

We might not ever need him again. Our own hay farmer might come back. But we have his name.

I just wish I was sassy enough to sent TP a single SMS message, "TORSTEN MUEHLINGHAUS". But I'm not. My husband went to a lot of trouble to stay on good terms with TP. He's the best of us.

: )






 


 

 




11 comments:

Tina said...

Do you get any of the hay?

Shirley said...

Uggh I hope you never have to deal with her again. On the bright side, you now know someone who can do your haying if your usual guy can't- without having to use a mediary!

lytha said...

Tina, how nice of you to have endured the entire story! It was so long! No, we did not expect hay, we just wanted our hay field cut, turned, and removed for someone else's use. We were desperate. Normally ...if there is normal..... we get the harvest, which is enough for our use the entire winter, and we pay 500 Euros for the work of the farmers, their equiptment, ane such, with our help!! But we were in America last Summer, and therefore, our hay was left to our hay farmer, to harvest and stack in our hay barn. That was a lot to ask, I can understand why he said "No Thanks" this year.

He's a nice guy, not like the others, we will definitely be helping him next year!
***

Shirley, ABSOLUTELY, that is the point of this blog entry. There are so many hay farmers in our town, and most of them are greedy unscrupulous children riding on their family's plows. FUnnily, as a public service announcement, we are useless, broadcasting to North America, and not North Western Germany, where people might benefit.

J has informed our normal hay guy of the situation. So we are both curious how things will go down next year!

Tina said...

I'm shocked that lady was so angry and then tried to say it was only 3 bales when it was actually 7 bales. She is a crook. I know it is nosy but why try to hard to appease her?

lytha said...

Tina, I, like you, would have just let it go and written her off forever, but my husband wanted to make peace, and I support him. The fact that she said "only 3 bales" convinces me that she was very disappointed in the harvest, which should have had no affect on her...unless she was getting a cut.

Kitty Bo said...

Ugh, she is a malignant narcissist. There is no reasoning with such as her. I do know the relief of getting your hay cut and gone. We had a bad drought this summer, but I mowed my pastures and made them ready in case it did rain in the fall, which it did. I have a good haymaker and also had a ready buyer, but it cost a lot more to bale this year because of high diesel. Like you, I am glad to have it done. I have no livestock now, so I don’t need the hay. My Ag Exemption is maintained!

lytha said...

KB, you're right. no reasoning! so limted options, tho. drought. you handled it perfectly, we handled it desperately! I'm curious what you paid compared to your investmen.

Kitty Bo said...

I’m not sure what investment are? The last time I put up hay (between lack of rain and a grasshopper plague it can be iffy), I paid my haymaker $350 for 7 round bales. $350 was his minimum. This year it was $600 for 8 round bales! Argh! But my friend who bought the hay gave me $800. Because of the drought, hay is at a premium, and irrigated fertilized round bales are going for $150, which is an all time high. My hay was good quality because it was cut at just the right time.

lytha said...

KB, good question. Did you know crops are not irrigated in Germany? At least I've never seen it. TP was able to get Torsten Mullinghaus to mow our field because he was mowing the one directly next to ours anyway. In fact, since I wrote this post, he's been there again, harvesting the last cutting. I love to see farmers getting every last bit. The drought did cause some corn crops in our neighborhood to be lost, sadly. A large bale goes for 200Euros here, one of the reasons it is so cheap is hay doesn't travel here. I've said it before but all hay is local, I've never seen hay on the highway.

TeresaA said...

Ugh, what a horrible person. I agree with Kitty- she's a narcissist. it's good that you don't go there- I can only imagine what her boarders endure. How many square are in your round bales? we pay $55/ round for what is approximately 14 square bales.

lytha said...

Teresa, I'm sorry, I wish I could answer that!