Saturday, February 5, 2022

Our Winter in America

I have so many good memories, and not enough  photos. I know I took a photo of our Christmas dinner prayer (first time ever not keeping my eyes closed) but I realize now I had grabbed my mom's camera and she has some of the family photos I took. 

One was pretty funny, I gave a lighter to the baby and took a photo that got posted on Facebook to the chagrin of the mother, my step sister. "(Lytha) did it, I didn't give my baby a lighter!"

My mom's house on one of the 5 days after Christmas night where we were snowed in there. With the truck, there was no way of escaping. We played board games and discussed the differences between the German and English way of saying "Stir crazy" *lol*  We got along, amazingly, the entire time.And we ATE. There was never a moment when there was not food of some sort in front of us on the coffee table/kitchen bar. At my mom's house, you never have a chance to get hungry for the next meal, cuz she's so gifted at providing yummy snacks. Neighbors came by with boxes of homemade Christmas treats and we just made room at the coffee table.
 

Outside this kitchen window I saw a hummingbird frozen to the feeder. J and I took it into the garage and with the help of luke-warm water, freed it. It overnighted in the garage and in the morning I let him out. They are so tame, they are used to us cuz there is a feeder beside the hot tub and when we go in, they buzz around our heads! I have to say, it was pretty funny when I finally freed the little bird, and he could move again, and the first thing he did was drink some more. No fear!


They have a TV you can talk to. I want one!!!!!!!!!! I just said, "Young Sheldon season 4" and got to see episodes I'd been waiting so long to see! But sadly, when I tried to explain to them how Direct TV  works, that you can pause live TV to skip commercials, it was too much new information for my step dad, and just like my dad at his TV in Shelton, he got a little annoyed at me. They hate it when we mess up their electronics, I get that. When you're in your 80s, you don't need to learn new technology tricks,  you just want the ones you know to work reliably.

We fell in love with my step dad's favorite board game, Careers. I'm sad that he cannot sit very long at the table with us to play it anymore - I am pushing my mom to get him some sort of chair so that he can play games/puzzles, which he's always loved. 

Two days ago J bid on an ebay auction and won the very last Careers game available on earth, apparently. Parker Bros (?) stopped making it in 2003. We played til midnight last night and then got up and played some more today.

My sister has the good cats. 


 That grey fluff behind me is their poodle. He's perfectly trained, doesn't bark, doesn't shed, and he understands English. Soon he'll be manipulating Google. This is the shy cat, but one day I was sitting in a chair and he crawled all over me, lap to shoulder to other shoulder to lap, never cutting me with his claws. I actually thought he might not have claws, cuz my cat would have hurt me making those moves.


That truck.....oh my. I was so happy when J got me a rental car and I realized I would not have to take it on the ferry again, or drive on those long one-lane highways at speeds the truck couldn't handle well. Using every single "slow vehicle turnout" every time. (To be fair, it can go faster, but I did not feel safe, the fact I had to bring my knee halfway to my face to switch from accelerator to brake.)

In case you live far, far away, I want to point out where Shelton, WA is on the map, so you can get a context for ELEVEN ferry rides (at 20bucks each!) and the reason it's so beautiful you could cry.

Shelton is not far from where the vampire films were set, cuz it's so vampire friendly. People walk around with guns, vampires don't mind. It's foggy all Winter, with glistening sunbursts, moss hanging off trees like hair, and when you go geocaching, you never see a soul. Don't go hiking alone at night!

Shelton is in the nation of Cascadia, if you believe in that:



Ironically, Shelton is nearer the Olympic mountain range rather than the Cascades, but according to the definition, the entire state of Washington is in Cascadia. Hopefully everyone's OK with that.

My dad chose to retire in Shelton rather than move back to the deep south of his youth, because after several visits, he realized Washington is better. Ya-huh.

He bought a double wide manufactured home on a private dirt road on 2.5 acres with mountain views and tons of privacy. He also had very good neighbors. As soon as I hung up a Christmas star in the window, SEVEN neighbors came over to see if my dad was "back." I had the sad task of telling them he won't be back, he's in a nursing home now, but he's HAPPY and that's what is important. 

The neighbors just took us right in - visiting us, helping us with the property (Corvette, tractor, JDeere Mower....) and I actually miss them, even the gun-toting lady with 7 rescue horses. 

I learned I'm not skilled operating a John Deere mower. On flat ground, yes. On the little hills out there, I kept feeling I'd tip over. So I am ashamed to say I could not mow my dad's entire property. My husband got a kick out of taking pics of me and videos, that thing was so loud (I wore earplugs). 

We had below freezing a couple of nights and one day we had no water at all! Not that we could drink it before, we had to buy bottled water cuz the well was unsafe. 

One day blood red water ran out along the wall in the shower. The plumber came and quoted us such a high figure we realized just turning off the water at the well might be a solution, cuz we were going back to Germany soon.

My husband took advantage of the snow and brought in 3 huge garbage containers full of snow, right into the living room, to melt into water, so we could flush a toilet and do dishes. 

Cuz of Corona (?) there were no gallons of drinking water available at Walmart or any other grocery store. We need water to live - why do people, who have safe wells, do that?

J put the snow right in the microwave, so he could wash his face and brush his teeth. That's Shelton livin....



We had a Guatemalan dude named Simeon come help with the yard work - it was too much for me. When we tried to explain where we live, he just stared at us blankly. I thought it was another case of American ignorance but then J said, "Alemania." The Spanish word for Germany, and he knew exactly where we live! I guess a little Spanish helps in America *lol* I won't forget it. 

We had the pleasure of meeting another Guatemalan dude who showed us where to get the best authentic Mexican food in Burien, and we will be back. I had no idea it could be so good, after my first attempt.

I made friends with a squirrel who lives under my dad's terrace. I named him Chippy cuz he looks more like a chipmunk than a squirrel, he's such a tiny little thing, and not grey like the rest of them.



 

I fed him whole wheat bread - my dad had so much of it in his freezer - and peanuts that he gorged himself on. When we left, I told the neighbors to look after him, he's not very good at looking after himself. That little guy became my pet, he let me get very close to him, and showed up almost every day. 

I had to be very careful not to let the enormous crows find the food. Did you know there are crows the size of bald freaking Eagles in Shelton? Thankfully they're skittish but my gosh.

(Oh, right now the Cranes are flying over my house, I can hear them - are they going south or north or are they just confused cuz it's so warm out?)

***

At the moment we are planning our next trip home, my goal is to be able to live in my dad's house after spending 2 months cleaning it out. Every single day we were there, up to 6 hours a day. I want to have the chance to go back there and just ENJOY it. And see Chippy again. 

But of course the sale of the property and its vehicles take precedence over my wishes. 

Nevertheless, I cannot get back soon enough. If my dad's house is sold (do you know what houses cost in Washington state? OMGOSH!), we are able to stay in the unused house of my uncle in West Seattle, which is a huge blessing. Although there is no plumbing/water available..........

 





3 comments:

HHmplace said...

Looks like a visit full of family fun & good times! Except maybe for the mowing?:-) Lovely Christmas lights & sweet story of your adventure. We visited Sheldon several times when we lived in Bremerton & do know "where" it is :-)

Kitty Bo said...

So wonderful to hear of your trip. I always feel like I am there.

EvenSong said...

I suspect the “giant crows” were actually ravens. They’re a LOT bigger!