Wednesday, April 7, 2021

Home in Germany

When our plane landed I said, "Is it snowing?" Sure enough, on the drive home, the longer we drove, the more snow was coming down, til it was just everywhere, including the roads. When we got to our house, there are 6 inches of snow here! Not a very nice welcome. I don't know if I've ever seen snow in April, at least, not this much accumulation. There's a huge snowman in one of the hay fields. It's still coming down in huge flakes and I just can't believe it.

Mag sniffed me very intensely, he keeps doing that every time I go out there. I had to put a blanket on him cuz he lost some weight, and he was soaked from the wet snow.

I'm so miserable right now I cannot function.  14 hours of wearing a mask makes that flight even worse.

But I wanted to share what happened at Fred Meyer in Burien on our last minute Levis grab for J. (The Shelton Fred Meyer had no clothing section!)

We had only a quick visit with my mom who lives near the airport before we flew. She was desperate for some time with  us and we only were able to give her 45 minutes. 

We spent no more than 10 minutes at Fred Meyer. We entered the store, I pointed J to the Levis section, then I went to get a few tiny liquor bottles for the flight. I asked an employee and she directed me to what she thought was a travel section but she was mistaken. I asked another employee, dressed in all black, leaning against a crate of unstocked food but she said she didn't work there. I asked another employee who was stocking beer, who also didn't work for FM, but he said the little bottles are at the register. I went back to the register and stood there gazing around, not finding them. This little old lady with a shopping cart said, "Can I help you?" I said, "You don't work here!" But I asked her and she had no idea. The employee who was standing right there ignored us until I got her attention and she directed me to the very furthest back corner of the store. This time it worked, I found the case, found an employee and he unlocked it for me. 

I hurried back to the other corner of the store where I'd left J but he wasn't there. 

I stood there forlornly and then this employee came up to me with an armload of Levis. She said, "Are you looking for your husband who was shopping for Levis?" "Yes." "Well, here are his Levis." 

WTH. I said, "I don't understand what is happening but thank you!"

Then I found him. 

"How the heck did that employee know who I am and why did she have your Levis instead of you?!"

He said they were all locked up and it took a couple of employees to unlock them and in that time he went to look for me. If he'd just have stayed there, it wouldn't have been such an unbelievable, baffling  situation. 

It was an apt ending to our crazy 9 day stay. 




 


5 comments:

AareneX said...

I'm glad you got home safely, too bad about the sn*w!

TeresaA said...

Welcome home! Enjoy the snow. 😁

Shirley said...

Very cool tree pics! Glad you made it safely home. The mask thing is awful. I can't breather in them.

AareneX said...

OTOH, (re: masks) I've gone more than a year without a sick day. And I have never traveled by plane without getting sick a few days after.

It's almost like masks work, or something....

lytha said...

Aarene, same here. You know J's a school teacher. 2020 was the first year he didn't have to call in sick! Amazingly, he stayed virus free all year long. And the little germy brats pass it on to me sometimes (ok rarely).

OTOH, on arrival in Germany I am having a stuffy drippy nose that will not let me live. So I actually took my first Benadryl. I laughed at the package, "DO not give this to your children to make them sleep." No kidding! I almost threw up cuz I didn't know Benadryl reacts with mineral water.