Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Perfinka

Every Summer the state studs of Poland gather their horses for an auction of the Arabian horses they need to sell. I wonder if they keep the best, or if they're desperate for money. If Americans keep buying the best, what will they have at the end of the year?

This month the top selling horse was a mare named Perfinka, closely related to Mag. Born in the same barn, the same year.

She was taken for 1.25 million Euros to Saudi Arabia.

I'm astounded anytime someone spends more than a few thousand dollars on a horse, cuz any horse can die from colic or a broken leg at any time. 

Some of the "horses" for sale were embroyos in their world-famous mothers. Wow.

It makes me appreciate Mag, that people pay ridiculous amounts for his family members. OK, only  mares: ) 

Perfinka is very nice, though.



     


Here is Perfinka running around the show ring in Las Vegas last year with the prodigious handler named Boggs (sigh) on the lead line:

I wonder why he's wearing gloves. Skin condition? (He's a scandalous character.) Looks like he changed her hoof angles to get more action, as they do in America.

Anyway, isn't it something, to get a humble gelding out of such a family, and have him chewing your sandals whenever you stop moving, nickering to strangers to come say hello, and galloping to me when I give him a soft whistle? Mag is something great, but not worth over a million Euros.


5 comments:

Camryn said...

Mag is priceless

AareneX said...

People who pay those prices won't miss the money any more than I'll miss a few bucks for a coffee. It's hard for me to imagine, but there it is: when I was a starving college student, I couldn't afford a few bucks for a coffee. So, there ya go.

And yet, do these people value and enjoy their horses (or their coffee :-) ) more than those of us who schlep out to the barn in our jammies to feed every morning? I'm guessing that most of them do not.



TeresaA said...

I've always said a horse is worth what people are willing to pay. Like everything else. Perfinka is very pretty - I watched her in the video and i felt bad for her because she looked very worried about everything. :)

Nat D said...

While the pricetag is impressive ... Im not so impressed with the video. Maybe my eye is not refined enough to understand the criteria but this way of movement and the amount of tension is so against my core principles that I can not appreciate the mare properly. But the picture above shows such beautiful lines.

Anyways, I prefer Mag. A pricetag does not equate to value.

Semi Feral Equestrian said...

I think she's a lovely mare, but I dislike her handler and his methodology of showing. I think the gloves a lot of times is because the lead is wrapped around the hand quite usually, so probably to decrease rope burn.

It's amazing how much some of these horses sell for absolutely. Kwestura was another very lovely mare, but I cannot fathom paying so much.