Saturday, August 8, 2020

Mercer

For exactly 2 weeks I've been unable to blog this, but since I eventually wrote my mom, I figure I can copy paste that into a blog entry, at least. I hope I have the strength, later, to talk more about her. Right now it's a mix of horror and sorrow that we're both living with.

***

We lost our cat Mercer last Saturday, the 25th, horribly. It's been 8 days and I have trouble finding the words.

10:30 pm I was looking out the window and I saw a car stop and turn on its hazard lights. I knew at that moment they'd run over our cat. My very worst fear had come true.

It was gruesome. She was awake and conscious the entire time, although half of her body was crushed and she was paralyzed. Her face, I never want to see that expression again on an animal.

They tried to get her out from their car, as I was inside calling every vet I know of, and apparently she was alert enough to only let J drag her body to the grocery basket. I was on the grass, hyperventilating and not helping the situation.

It took forever to get her to a vet who could put her to sleep, and that 1 hour was the longest of my life.

She was terrified and unable to move, her worst fear, she was always a wild thing. I kept repeating her name, hoping to guide her to heaven. Jwas in agony, he loved her even more that I.

I had just hoped, so much, for Mercer, for 15 years maybe.

We had 10.

I cannot stand it, I'll never have a cat again. I gave away all of her things on ebay the next day for free. The extremely poor person who showed up to collect apparently needed everything desperately.

My mind is mixed with the death/crash scene, and my first euthanasia. I can handle blood and gore, but this was something beyond, her body was destroyed and yet not dead. She was helpless, panting, and I wonder what amount of shock had let her escape some of the pain. I'll never know.

My mind is mixed with those scenes and it's difficult for me to go outside and sit in my garden chair, where she'd join me.  


J has it as bad, he fed her every morning and evening, and shared his sandwich with her. She followed us around our entire property, with no benefit to her except companionship.

The only thing worse than grieving, is to see the one you love most grieving with you. We stayed up all night, walking the streets, crying, unwilling to go to bed.

We try to keep it together, for the sake of the other.

I'll never have another cat.

2008-2020.



     




     


11 comments:

Laura said...

I'm so, so, sorry to hear this. :-(

irish horse said...

I’m so sorry, that is just terrible, these little creatures take our hearts with them. Peace.

Nat D said...

What a tragic end! I hope you can keep the happy memories front and center.

ellie k said...

I am so sorry, I know the hurt to take a pet to the vet knowing it will not be coming home. After our last cat I decided not to get another. I know it hurts so deep and little things keep making you remember.

AareneX said...

I'm so sorry. A death like that is traumatic and sad.

We grieved Puzzle for more than a year, and swore we would not have another (house) cat, because no cat could ever be as wonderful as he was. Then, as you know, Rumplecatskin showed up at the muffler shop in town, and he needed a home. And there we were. On cold nights, the Rumplecat sleeps under the covers, on my feet. It's good we were able to make room for him.

Love to all of you there from all of us here.

Kitty Bo said...

My heart breaks for you. The PTSD is real. Sharing this is a good step. Once you have experienced this, it never completely goes away, but eventually it will not be so overwhelming. But give yourself time. I hope you have someone you can go to. Our hearts are with you.

Shirley said...

I am so very sorry for your loss and especially that it was such a tragic end. I have lost several animals over the years to being run over. It's heart breaking.

TeresaA said...

Oh I am so very sorry. What a horrible thing to happen. ((HUGS)))

kbryan said...

That is heartbreaking, and I feel for you both. Cats are such wonderful animals and companions. Try to remember the happy times. I am so sorry that this happened.

Tina said...

RIP Mercer.

Karen B in so california said...

I'm so very sorry for your profound loss.