Sunday, June 7, 2020

That wasn't the answer I expected

Mag hasn't let anyone but me get on his back in 2 years, until today.

I found this new trainer. She is S1's trainer. S1's my friend who told me to buy Mag from the same dealer she got her horse. This trainer's been riding Bintu, S1's chestnut Arabian, freshening him up in dressage. I used to ride out with S1 and Bintu, but they're quite far away and Bintu will never be a role model to another horse.

This is the 4th trainer who has tried to help me with Mag. 2 of them had no time for us after seeing Mag's rambuncious behavior. 1 of them, the last one, I just walked away from with no goodbyes. Cuz even though I was paying to use the fancy arena, that lady could not help me.
 

Today #4 and I took turns leading Mag into the woods. It's a sunny Sunday afternoon - the woods were packed with users. When we reached the mounting block, I said, "If you don't mind, I'd like to see if I can get on Mag and ride a little bit before I ask you to try."

It has been 4 months and Mag acted as if I'd been on his back everyday. No difference whatsoever (except of course my anxiety was higher than normal). I rode around and then said, "OK, you try."

She said, "I'm sure I can ride him, he's been a total angel on the leadline." I said with dread, "We'll see about that."

He tensed up when she tried to mount, eyes wide, but we both spoke to him and he relaxed, and didn't step away from her, which is basically welcoming her on board.

Then she rode him home. One handed, loose reins, completely relaxed. I had the lead line on him most of the way cuz I couldn't trust him, the last person besides me who rode him - Ani -  was thrown outside the arena, through the fence.

It was fun chatting with her cuz this lady can TALK. That always helps me with my anxiety. That is something that would really help when I ride with Ani - it is hard to draw her out and get her into conversation. I don't mind riding in silence with others, just lately I feel it helps to have something to distract me from what might happen out there.

I'm blown away. Despite it being Sunday, and encountering three other horses, hikers, and bikes, Mag never reacted to any of it. He just happily walked along.

#4 was most impressed by the moment Mag simply looked back when a biker rode up behind us.

I was most impressed when we were on our street, almost home, and a freaking Harley Davidson puffed its way around Mag. He acted as if Harleys weave around him on the street every day.

Then a large utility truck pulled out and she rode Mag to the side of the street to let it pass. Again no reaction from Mag. I swear, I did not drug him!

She told me she's willing to coach me from the ground out there, when I want to ride. That would be great. Even better though.......way better.......she said she could trailer her horse here and coach me on a shared trail ride. What? She has a freaking horse trailer? That she knows how to use? This is the first trainer I've met in Germany who has a trailer and is willing to use it to ride with me. Hard to believe but trust me, it's true. It's something you take for granted in America.  (I've had 7 trainers in Germany and none of them trailered. One of them had a horse trailer, but she told me she was afraid to haul a horse with it.)

Unfortunately #4's is a 1-horse trailer, so not really suitable for teaching Mag to trailer. I explained how he'll get in when I ask, after all our work, but he'll still end up standing in a pool of his own sweat. She said trailer training is so difficult because you have to hitch up, drive to the horse, practice, then go home, unhitch, etc. I said, "Actually in America it's not so inconvenient, when you keep your truck connected to your trailer all the time, and the rig lives with the horse." I think she'd never imagined such a situation - a truck that remains connected to a trailer, all the time? (Then again in Europe people pull horse trailers with their commuter cars, no need to buy a second vehicle to haul with.)

There is one thing that concerned me - although I told her how strict I am with Mag and that I hope she can be strict too, she didn't seem to notice when he took the right rein out of her hand and started chewing on it. Rein-grabbing/chewing is a thing with Mag. We were talking at the time, but if the horse I'm sitting on takes a rein away from me, I'm gonna notice that.  I'm curious now...does she know horses as much as her certification implies?

My main reason for hiring her is I want qualified, professional help; I don't want a friend to get hurt riding Mag (though Ani really wants to ride him). After watching how Ani rides, I believe she'd be a "passenger" and he would be the worse for it. Then again, if #4 is simply a higher-qualified passenger, that's no good. As is the case whenever we hire someone to help train our horses, there is always that risk that damage will be done. I'm going to tag along on her rides until I feel certain she's not going to teach him bad habits.

We disinfected our hands together before she left, and finally made my way back to Mag to untack him.

Strangest thing - as I was putting away my tack I suddenly saw a chunk of Baasha's mane lying on the shelf. Where did that come from? I have no memory of it. It's been 8 years.

I picked it up and it was so gorgeous, black and white, mixed, and so soft. I felt like I was touching him again, after so long. Where did it come from? No idea.



     



11 comments:

TeresaA said...

She sounds like a good fit- I love that she was so relaxed and is going to bring her horse with her. That's awesome.

I know that you are strict with Mag, if I was starting with him and he chewed the rein I might not pick that as a hill to die on as we were just getting to know each other. I also know that others are more or less lenient than others. I have found that horses adapt. For example, Irish will sometimes be a jerk about Julia bridling him. I take it and hold it and he just puts in on (almost by himself). She asked why he does it so well with me and I just shrugged and said, because I expect him to. I don't just want him to.

Nat D said...

Sounds like a perfect fit! I love that Mag was so relaxed with her. Animals are the best judge of character. She sounds like a keeper!

Shirley said...

I like what Teresa said. If you increase you expectations the horse will usually step up. I hope this trainer works out for you so you can enjoy your lovely horse.

Gina said...

I love that you found a trainer that seems to click, even if she is not as stringent with her ground manners (like with the reins) it will be great for you to have a safety net there for when you are riding.

AareneX said...

As others have said, I wouldn't pick chewing on the rein as "the hill to die on" during the first ride on an unfamiliar horse, unless I'd been warned that the action tended to lead elsewhere. Chewing is usually a self-comforting action, and if that's the action Mag chooses when he's nervous about a new rider, it's certainly not the worst action to choose.

She does sound like a good fit. I hope she continues to work well for you!

Camryn said...

Agree with Teresa, she and he are just feeling each other out. I wouldn’t pick a battle with something so small at this point with a new horse.

lytha said...

You guys, I'm overwhelmed by how much hope is shown in your comments. It actually gives me hope, so thank you.

Aarene, chewing as self-comforting - you're right. I often get the feeling that Mag is snatching at plants to eat just to contain his energy, he's not hungry, he just wants to explode into the show ring and I'm asking him to walk behind me down the street. He's also the "chewing-est" horse I've ever met without actually being a cribber. Just last week I threw some damp towels over the gate and he grabbed them in his mouth and just sucked/chewed on them. It looks like cribbing but he's just enjoying the feel of textures in his mouth. Gnawing is the word. He'll gnaw deep into the hide of any horse that lets him (sadly no horses around her let him, but back in Wuppertal he was famous for leaving slobber all over other horses simply from gnawing into their hides). He's a freak, he is. He'll walk around with a stick in his mouth at pasture. Makes me wonder if he ever knew his mother *lol* This oral fixation, I wonder if he would be a candidate for a bit with a roller in it, just to play with?

I think you've all lessened my worry about the rein thing cuz he's using it as a pacifier, not as a trick to evade the rider's hand. It just annoys me cuz I see the ultimate conclusion - he takes the reins into his mouth and I have no steering or brakes.

irish horse said...

This is great! I hope that she can show you that Mag is actually very good, and you don't have to worry so much! The trainer's actions remind me of my first old trainer, she was a great curmudgeon (who had finished Tevis 10 times!) and taught so many local riders. She would always say "The horse will live up to or down to your expectations." I keep that in mind all the time. I hope this leads to some happy trails!

lytha said...

In looking through forums on horses who chew reins, I found tonight most people say "use cheap reins and replace them" and "use Vicks Vapo Rub." I might try that (if that exists in Germany)!

Tina said...

This is fantastic that you found a trainer that isn't chicken to get on your horse! The fact that she wants to bring her horse to your place to train you is even better!!! I cannot wait to see your confidence go up!! <3 <3 <3

HHmplace said...

It sounds to me like your boy is maturing... Love this post~