Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Nothing more than mud

My husband walked out of the house and shouted to me, "Your horse is filthy!"

I replied, "Glad you noticed."

It's killing me.

J told me December was the warmest ever in German history. That means rain.

You know me, I enjoy rain. But normally in Germany, in Winter, I enjoy a respite from mud on my horse.

     







     







     







     


I doubt I'll ever get his mane white again, cuz he luxuriates in rolling in mud every single day of his life. Just like Baasha.

Mara and Princess Buttercup had no addiction to mud on their bodies, cuz,........what? Chestnuts love being clean and gleaming in the sun?

***

As I walk around my pasture, I hear something I never heard in Seattle. The ground "percolates" against my weight. Wherever I go, I hear little sucking sounds a meter or two around me, as the water readjusts. What is that! We have standing water in hoof divots all over our hillsides. Because our hills are at 30 degree angles, I don't understand how water can just pool up.

If I neglect to fill the water troughs, no worries. The pasture has enough standing and flowing water to keep them alive.



6 comments:

Nat D said...

You need a tiger tongue?

AareneX said...

We get that "percolating" sound sometimes, also, sometimes we get water running out of mouseholes (I assume the mice ran out first?)

But today, no. Just the sound of finally melting sn*w. Ahhhhh.

Your horse really is a mudball. I guess you knew that!

AareneX said...

We get that "percolating" sound sometimes, also, sometimes we get water running out of mouseholes (I assume the mice ran out first?)

But today, no. Just the sound of finally melting sn*w. Ahhhhh.

Your horse really is a mudball. I guess you knew that!

TeresaA said...

At least the part under the blanket is clean. :)

lytha said...

Aarene, really? I saw those same mouseholes flooding water this week! Not mice, I think, voles? We found three dead weasels in our pasture lately, and the ranger has nothing to say.

Mag is a mudball? Would you please come visit, with Jim, and enjoy a lovely stay, where you can tell that to Mag's face every day. *lol*

Teresa, You have it right there. It's the only place on his body I enjoy touching.

ND, I don't know what that is.

AareneX said...

We could put up a sign: "clean horses get more treats" ?