Monday, November 18, 2019

Random photos

We did a lot of geocaching with our new toy in October. It's a telescoping fishing pole for grabbing geocaches way up in trees/telephone poles. I call it "sky caching." When J brought it home I cracked up laughing because he slowly raised it until it was towering over our house!

On the day of the photo below, I discovered how not fun sky caching is in the rain, because you repeatedly get big fat raindrops in your eyeballs as you stare straight up at the sky, blinding you.

Yesterday I hid my first sky cache from our walnut tree where people can get it from our street/shoulder without needing to enter our front yard. In the tiny container (petling*) is a tiny key, rather than a log book. The key opens a locked camo-painted ammo can we will hide in our hedge, again no need to enter our yard. I look forward to watching people sky cache from the comfort of my couch, when it's finally published.  (* Petlings have replaced film containers as Germany's most common microcache - they are totally waterproof. Supposedly they are the precursor to heavy-duty plastic coke bottles.)


     







     

On that day I saw a horse with an interesting coat pattern.





     

This grey slate house covering that is typical for our area is often arranged into whimsical patterns. This is the first time I've seen a horse taking a jump! If you look closely you can see the date above, 1890, I think, same year as our house.



     

I said, "No, I will  not buy toilet paper with such a stupid name." But we had to, we were out. BTW, "Happy End" is the German, or "Denglish" for Happy Ending. I suppose it does make more sense, grammatically.



     

We finally got a good mattress and I had to splurge and get us some fancy new bedsheets. They're custom made for our bed and American style with a top sheet (Germans don't use top sheets). The color is much more teal than blue, but my camera couldn't capture it.





     

It didn't take long for the cat to discover it.





     

I recently learnd how to make traditional German potato salad (no mayo). It turned out perfect!


Below I tried to capture the cranes circling/gathering over our house but unfortunately I failed - but you can hear them, and near the end see how they upset Mag. This is after they caused him to run full speed in his pasture for-e-ver, not panicked, just using them as an excuse to find his racing speed.

The cranes normally fly over twice yearly, in opposite directions of course, but this time they seemed confused until I realized they were re-grouping. For almost an hour, it was very loud here. I've never seen one up close, they don't live in Germany, so I have no idea what they look like. The first time I heard them I was terrified cuz I'd never heard anything like that and I could tell "some animal" was close over the trees over my head but I couldn't see anything.

7 comments:

AareneX said...

There you are, I've missed you!

The potato salad looks interesting, send me the recipe?

Nat D said...

Is the horse a dappled grey, or a silver dapple? And that potato salad looks AWESOME and I totally want the recipe!

EvenSong said...

Lovely dapple gray, who will go lighter as he ages, and have the more “traditional” dapple gray pattern for a while.
I really like the slate siding, but it needs a heavy duty house to handle the weight. The jumping horse is cute!
When I first read “cranes circling over our house” I pictured tall-building-machinery cranes! Couldn’t imagine what kind of remodeling you wer planning! 😁

TeresaA said...

That potato salad does look really good. And I love the pattern on the side of the house. How clever is that?!

The Kelly's Adventures in KY said...

Sky caching looks fun! Are you able to log it as "please don't enter yard to retrieve cache"? Love the horse motif on the side of the house. Please do let us in on the German potato salad secret. It looks amazing!

irish horse said...

I have cranes migrating overhead too! Here they are sandhill cranes coming to winter in the central valley of California for the winter. They fly over the canyon, and the calls reverberate strangely, sounding like it is coming from below in the river. So I call them the Shrieking Eels (they really do sound like the Princess Bride eels!).

And I hate potato salad with mayo, that looks so much better!

lytha said...

Kelly's, we'll be sure to put a note in the cache description about not needing to enter the yard beyond the hedge.

Irish, I just looked it up and they're just called common cranes. It seems like most of my life I've eaten Costco potato salad. Never again!