Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Our first home hay analysis

Since this is the first year we've hired someone to process our field for our personal use (rather than a shared project where they take and then later give us something, which was not optimal).....

It's our own field we're feeding for the first time in 10 years. And then it rained.

Twice, after our hay was lying there cut. I'll never forget my husband going out there at 5 AM in the rain, to touch the hay and wonder if there was any saving it. I was beside myself with worry - cuz whether or not the hay was edible, we had to pay for the labor.

We learned a great thing this year: Even rained-on hay is fine if given the chance to thoroughly dry. Woo!

So it has become important for me to know the truth about the nutrition left in twice rained-upon hay.

Someone on my blog told me no worries, it's just lower in sugar now. (She was right.)

I was surprised when the application form had two checkboxes: For Bovines and For Swine. OK what about horses?

Apparently in Germany pig and cattle farmers have their feed tested, and horse owners...don't? They told me to just write on the form, "This is for horses." OK then.

Below are our results. How our hay compares to the ideal is shown in the image under "Zielwerte."




     


The two values for our hay are the two columns:  1. Fresh, as-is and 2. Dry matter (in bold font).

I was happily surprised to see that paragraph at the bottom - it's the values for all of Germany for 2019, for the sake of comparison.

This was the basic, 31Euro test. More options are available for additional fees. I was happy to see "Sand" on the list - dirt, I suppose?

These results supported my instinct to supplement protein and fat.

This was fun and informative, and I'm curious what will happen if 1. It doesn't rain or 2. We use fertilizer.

9 comments:

TeresaA said...

How fascinating!

EvenSong said...

Sounds like it’s a good report...it’s Greek to me! 🥴

hainshome said...

Cool science!

Laura said...

Very cool! You'll be able to compare over the years as you fertilize, etc.

Shirley said...

The only thing to worry about with hay that has been rained on is if it is dusty when you feed it. For some reason that seems to be a thing.

lytha said...

Teresa, if you make your own hay you should try it. Until now it's been irrelevant cuz we took hay from wherever we could get it.

ES, funnily, I had to write the company and ask what ME means. They said it's English for Metabolizable Energy. *LOL*

Becky, yay science!

Laura, looking forward!

Shirley, is there a dust test I can do?

Tina said...

I've never heard of the dust thing because of rain but the lower sugar thing I had! WTG on getting your own good hay! <3

AareneX said...

How many acres do you have for hay? And how does fertilizing work there?

(I'm imagining that you don't have one of those ginormous water/manure shooting sprinklers lying around the place!)

hainshome said...

Would that be mold?