Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Mag gets cuter

I thought he couldn't, but I was wrong. You know how Mag likes to put things in his mouth and gnaw on them? Mostly plastics. It's odd, cuz you'd think he was cribbing. In fact, it's a panicky side-thought every time he does it. I don't even say the word out loud, I just think it, "Don't start...."

Today he found a wool saddle blanket thrown over the gate and when I turned around he had a huge mouthful of it. Eyes half closed, and all his jaw muscles twitching and flexing as he sucked on it, experiencing the wooly texture. I wish so much I'd had a camera. His jaw was wide open around the double layer of wool, and the gate was clinking rhythmically with his movements. In the end there was no damage to the blanket, proving he was just sucking on it.

Have you ever met a horse with an oral fixation? A full grown horse? Baasha used to nibble on us if we wore sweaters but this is more. The other day the vet was here and Mag put the tooth tool in his mouth when we weren't looking and held it. He regularly picks up my mucking tool and enjoys the plastic grip until he lets it drop. He stands tied happily with the rope securely in his mouth, not chewing, just enjoying.

I said to Bellis, "Can you do something equally endearing? It would be nice." I swear sometimes she understands English. She obliged, picking up my trough sponge and flipping it up and down, up and down. What dimension is this? Bellis never puts anything in her mouth that isn't food.

I don't have any photos but these are the most recent of us and they both show the green muck thingy that Mag always picks up and holds.


     







     


It was a perfect day, despite having to wake up early to match Ani's riding schedule. It was the first frost of the year but Mag wasn't freaking out from the cold as he was yesterday, he was totally chill. Why? No idea.

Yesterday he was snorting at everything including the farrier, who mentioned it, "Why is he snorting at me?" "Oh, it's not you, it's freaking everything."

On our ride yesterday Mag spooked big when a dogwalker appeared, and it pissed me off cuz WTH - I was much more shook up than normal from that. I was trembling from it even after Mag had settled down. I had ripped out a portion of his mane in that stunt.

But today he showed me his very best side, especially when Ani finally relented and took a different trail than the one we always ride.What, really? We can turn right instead of left! Woo!

Since we've spent the last year on the same loop, and only twice turned right, normally Mag would be looky but today he was completely at ease on the "strange" trail. In fact, at one point we walked into a clear cut that blew my mind cuz I could not recognize where we were, even so close to home. While Ani mourned the loss of the trees (all Germans complain when people cut down trees), Mag strode forward while I tried to orient myself.

We came to a bridge that Ani refused to ride across cuz she's afraid Rudi will slip on the mossy wood, and before I could ask her to reach up from the creek bed and touch it and tell me how dangerous it was, Mag had walked right across it. Ok then. No bridge trauma!

Mag led part of the time and it was just a perfect ride. I hadn't brought any carrots with me today but I think he understood me when I said how good he was.

As a big thank you, I let him graze along the hay field near home. I stood in our street, dodging cars, but let Mag rip up the remains of an Indian Summer in the long green grass, for about 20 minutes. The donkey did not bray during that time, so I think she was satisfied with her hay bag.

I forgot to say, I'm riding him in a running martingale now, because last time I trotted him he got a little uppity and started throwing his head around. It's always the same with horses - you never stop learning. I'd always looked sideways at people at endurance rides who rode with super loose running martingales, that were "doing nothing" to influence the headset of the horse. (I was taught that the martingale is a leverage device to get horses round.) So why would you even put one on that has no bearing on the horse's head position? Ahhhh yes. It makes it impossible for a horse to flip his reins over his head, which could end badly. Just another safety feature for rambuncious horses. So why not? I was worried what Mag would say about it, but he shook his head a few times and then settled down. I'll have to take a picture - he looks pretty professional *lol*

Tonight Mag got to touch the cat for the first time ever. She is ultra careful around horses but for some reason beet pulp tastes good to her. I started feeding Mag beet pulp yesterday for the Winter, in the hopes that his bones won't be visible through his thick coat this year. The cat loves it and was licking around his bucket, and the horse got to finally put his nose against her and smell her. It was a moment: ) Then my husband came home from work, stepping out of the car saying, "Hi Mercer! Hi Mag! Hi wife!" The horse had a food coma, the cat was licking her lips savoring the taste, and I was grinning, "I had the best day!"

Also I raked walnut leaves, which will not end at this point, and mowed in hopes the frost will finally end the grass growth, and brought more of Mt Wood (our wood chips pile) to our path that Mag almost totally destroyed yesterday when the migrating cranes decided to regroup above our house for almost an entire hour. They yell the entire time, and other flocks join, and it's migration insanity. Mag wasn't scared, but he used it as an excuse to gallop his very fastest around the perimeter of our field and back to the barn, and back to the field and back to the barn, over and over again for 10 minutes. It was like watching a thoroughbred horse race when the cameras are above, cuz I was up on the far hill, and I doubt Mag could have run any faster if he wanted. Our field is full of messy black mud streaks from his repeated flights. The donkey stood in one spot grazing the entire time. When he was done, he was black to the knees and hocks with mud, and slick with sweat over his entire body. He was not, however, stressed. He was just using energy, and letting the birds guide him.

As I led him home today on our street, the sunlight caught his mane and tail, turning them silver. He's full of winter hair but I was amazed at how he gleamed in the light. At that moment he transcended all other horses, with his sweet expression and shimmering coat.

I don't like to use the word love for Mag. I've had that already. But hope springs eternal. Mag is something special. He did not kick the farrier yesterday, and did not fight the vet the day before. He just snorted as if he'd never met them and politely gave the hooves/teeth.

I had a great day with no pictures to prove how Mag carried me confidently over a "dangerous" bridge, through a newly cut wasteland, gnawed on wool and shared his food with the cat. I hope he understands English when I told him how great he is.

10 comments:

AareneX said...

What a lovely day!

I know a lot of geldings that explore the world "mouth first" but only a few mares. Ariana is one of the mares, and she is perfect in all ways, so I guess mouth-first is a virtue :-)

ellie k said...

Sometimes a day could just not get any better. Mag sound like he needs a cud like a cow has or a big wad of horse gum if there was such a thing.

EvenSong said...

💗 love!

Camryn said...

No need for photos, your description painted it beautifully! I’m visiting Okinawa right now, got to ride on the beach Bucket list check off.

Kitty Bo said...

Wonderful day. And yes to the running martingale. Used correctly, a great riding aid. Definitely not for head set (I hate that term, because it is so forced.) But definitely a helpful aid for keeping the horse from throwing too much of a fit and throwing the reins. Show jumpers use them for a reason. There was a period of time when I first got Khanalee that I used a standing martingale, properly adjusted, when I was learning to jump.My trainer asked, what is this for? And I answered, it's for me, helping me to feel more confident.

Nat D said...

So, he had a great galloping tear around the field yesterday, and then an unusually quiet trail ride today? I see a connection ...

On another note, Im always leery of spooky behaviour in fall and spring. The horses in my area are on their worst behaviour in this shoulder season and we have to be doubly cautious. What happened to the connemara pony ani was riding?

TeresaA said...

Things sound like they are going well. I know you don’t want to use the word ‘love’ but I hear it in the way you talk about Mag. I believe that we have lots of love to give so there is an endless supply if we look for

Achieve1dream said...

That does sound like the BEST day!!!

It's weird the similarities Mag and Chrome have sometimes. I don't think Chrome has ever sucked on anything, but he definitely puts everything in his mouth and I have more than once thought "please don't start cribbing" because he likes to put his mouth on the edge of his bucket when he's eating. I think he's actually getting the feed out of his teeth or licking the side of the bucket for some reason, but I always panic and think cribbing.

Chrome has been super spooky and energetic since it started getting cold. He spooks at something every day! It's annoying, but it's also a sign his feet are feeling better so I can't get too upset lol.

That's awesome that you finally got to take a different route and that he was so good about it and the bridge. Go Mag!!

lytha said...

Aarene, Ariana is a dream of a horse!

Ellie, I'll try gum next: )

Evensong, I loved the photo of Kate with her lip hanging down. Mag does the same every day, dozing while standing. It's apparently not limited to older horses!

Camryn, Okinawa? Tell us about it!

KB, my "trainer" also asked, "Why do you ride in a bit" and I said, "Cuz I feel better when I do." She agreed.

ND, Ani only has access to the Connemara once per week and it fluctuates. This week we'll meet up again on Wednesday. I look forward to it!

Teresa, We recently watched this TV show called How I Met Your Mother and a girl on it said, "I don't want to go out on a date with you, sorry. See, I already won the lottery when I purchased one ticket. He died, but it will never happen again so I'm content. I won't think about buying another ticket."

If you know that TV show, you know how it ends, and that was pure foreshadowing.

Anyway, a heart can stretch, figuratively. Mag will be 9 in January. This means almost grown up!

Acheive, seriously you had the same thoughts about mouthing vs. cribbing! Wow. That bridge, *cringe*!

Camryn said...

My daughter lives in Okinawa, her Hubs is a marine. Fascinating & beautiful, people there are wonderful. Waiting to hear their next duty station, they’re hoping to either stay put or head to Germany next.