Monday, September 2, 2019

The after-grass, and our first ever "self-mown" hay

Normally we have a deal where a hay farmer comes and raises hay on our pasture and we get a third portion as payment. It's enough for us. That deal has fallen apart in the last few years.

So we engaged this guy who we'd simply pay cash money to, for his time mowing and baling. I was biting my nails.....so nervous, we'd been taken advantage of so many times.

But he's an honest dude.

He mowed only once this year, late July, to have it rained upon twice (!!!) and we were only able to save the crop because of the drought that came directly after. Our hay is safe and tucked away, but sadly is sucked dry of nutrients. The best hay I've ever had, without dust, without mold, without a single weed! But.....brown.

Evensong said it's no problem, except that supplements are much more relevant. I appreciate this, and I did much, much research this week about supplementing poor/awful hay. Most say add Luzerne (alfalfa) but Mag is allergic.

This is the first time we've reaped 100% of our 5 acre field, rather than the sharing we'd done.

I have to say I'm happy cuz all my work de-weeding this place paid off - our hay is pure.

And they are eating it even now, cuz of the drought.

     






     





     
I've divided our field into its halves and I hope you can see here the difference between the halves when they have been on the left side, vs. the right.  5 acres for 2 animals should be enough without this troublesome setting of temporary fencing. But I clean up (actually spread around) poop every single day and it's much easier when I don't have to traverse 5 acres every day.

Can you see the difference in the two halves in this photo?



     

I was sure this corn field would die in this drought, but look, it's fine! I'm so happy for the farmers who will use this for their cattle. I am jealous cuz Germans are set that corn is for animals, I can only find 2 tiny corn-on-the-cobs at Aldi for 2 Euros. And the ironic part, since Europe is so Earth friendly, my two corn cobs have been stripped of their leaves, set upon a styrofoam plate, and then wrapped in plastic wrap. WTH!??!??! This is what the Germans say is despicable about America. We rip of the natural fruit covering and sell it in plastic.


     
Can you make out a difference in the two halves?


     

I must have mis-typed to end up with this old photo of Mara being led by J across our front yard. No idea, but I like it. She wasn't all bad.

I'd appreciate advice about feeding a supplement for hay that is lacking in nutrients, for a horse who is allergic to Luzern.

And would appreciate your thoughts about the one I found with the highest protein, fiber, and fat, with no grain:

https://tinyurl.com/y6aa3kkx






     

12 comments:

TeresaA said...

The best approach is to send your hay off to be analyzed and then supplement from that. But the supplement looks fine.

Shaste said...

Your fields are lovely! Brown hay doesn't mean it's totally ruined. I have used equi-anylytical to test hay for nutrients. Better than guessing. :)

EvenSong said...

Looks like an interesting supplement. Did you notice that there is some alfalfa in it, though quite a ways into the ingredient list, so minimal...
Your field looks great, and I’m glad it was a successful venture, at least as far as getting it done, and filling the “hay shed.” Next year, with more planning and coordination, hopefully it’ll be greener.

ellie k said...

You can eat field corn if you pick it while it is still soft and has juice in it. My dad used to raise corn to grind for cattle feed but picked some early to eat. That field is probably to far along to eat now.

lytha said...

Teresa & Shaste: then I will try to find out how to do that in Germany: )

Evensong, yah, I'm hoping that level of Luzern is OK. I'm definitely starting slow with it! I'm so glad to have found a reasonable hay farmer, I forgive him for mowing directly before the rain.

EK, I'll figure that out someday! I was trying to steal some corn on Saturday. My husband was like, "What are you doing?" Then someone drove by and I chickened out.

Nat D said...

Yeah hay! Much better to pass winter with a shed full of hay, even if you believe it to be lacking in nutrients. What is the difference between the two halves?

AareneX said...

Can you not GROW corn of your own? It's pretty straightforward: put seeds in the ground and water them sometimes, and don't let your horse harvest before you do!

Becky Bean said...

I had fat shiny horses on 3 year old hay and LMF Super Supplement.

lytha said...

ND, the difference is 3-4 weeks! (I'm making an effort to be more precise in my recordkeeping about 1. how much hay is consumed 2. where the horses are on the pasture, from what date.

Aarene, I actually stole a cob of corn off a field yesterday, hoping it's OK to eat. I don't know where we'd grow corn here. Come visit and make a recommendation.

BB, 3 YEAR OLD HAY! No kidding! Sad there is no LMF in Germany.

AareneX said...

Here are corn-growing basics from a good source:
https://youtu.be/Ts--iMD4YcA

CSL said...

I like FeedXL to determine what my horse really needs, so as not to waste money but also feel confident there are no shortcomings. Brown hay is not bad, and if you are lucky, it washed some of the sugars and starches out, which makes it lower calorie, but better for sensitive horses and so they can be allowed to eat more without having to worry about becoming over-fat or laminitis for IR equids. I love that you are having yours tested, then you will know what you really need to add. The most important part of hay is the fact that it provides fiber and chew time, and no amount of rain can get rid of that so long as it eventually dried properly!

lytha said...

CSL, thank you for making me feel better about our hay: ) It did, thank God, eventually dry properly. My goodness 300 grams of hay is a lot! Like an entire grocery sack full.