Tuesday, August 13, 2019

Enjoying the last weeks of Summer with J

Two more weeks left of Summer break where I get my man all the time. We've done a lot of geocaching and...oh, it's so funny I cried.

There's this new type of geocaching called "fishing" where you have a telescoping pole that reaches up into the heavens to capture caches out of very high places. J came home with such a pole. I was impressed with the workmanship on this device, but turned my back at the wrong moment, as J telescoped it up in front of our home. When I turned around, it was reaching up so high it soared above our home. OK our house is small but I laughed so hard I cried and couldn't stop.  I'm sure you had to be there for the hilarity of the moment. I had no background info on these things, no idea.

So we went caching 3 days last week, what I call "Sky Caching" cuz really it's up in the sky.




     

Feeling homesick, this is the Tolt river in Washington. Watch for bear cubs.

***

Today I finally rode again with Ani our usual loop and felt insecure cuz it'd been so long, and it was brisk out in comparison to the sweltering days of July. But Mag was fine, perfect, in fact.

At one point a bug flew into my hair and I freaked out squirming and swatting and it was clear Mag was fine with it, used to it even, that his owner often freaks out for "no reason" while riding. I have to give that to Mag, he can deal with my twitchiness in various settings while I'm riding.

***

Yesterday I discovered a new Star Trek series, well, not an official one, called Discovery. Not official cuz freaking Netflix created it. That's fine cuz it's pretty good! Wish someone would have said something. My biggest Star Trek buddy in Seattle died of cancer in 2015.

Well Netflix added flare and modern spunk to the show including the use of the F word which was completely unnecessary. I was annoyed, but in the next episode, swear to God, they mention Seattle. And not only Seattle, but Issaquah, "25 km east of Seattle." omgosh Issaquah is where Baasha lived most of his life, where I spent most of my time on his back. I was impressed that the German subtitles got the spelling correct.

I'm on the one-month free trial at Netflix and so I have to sign off now and watch the rest of whatever I can in 30 days.

But first, more random pics that popped up in my cloud today...




     

Not sure what year this is but we're taking a break at Costco, actually waiting for my sister to show up with her membership card so we can purchase very important things to take back to Germany like 1. Pure vanilla 2. Taco seasoning 3. Ranch dressing.....



     
 
The other day I thought I heard a single Blue Angel, cuz it wasn't so loud. J said he heard it too, but it was probably a helicopter. How I love the Blue Angels!

Do you know, there are no military prowess shows here? That doesn't fit with the demeanor of the country.

6 comments:

irish horse said...

Email me any time you want to talk Trek! "Discovery" IS an official show, created by CBS (not Netflix) with writers and directors who know their stuff. There are some very cool reference to original series, hidden like easter eggs for the geekiest of us (yeah!). Follow some of the Trek blogs for updates, I like http://blog.trekcore.com// or http://www.treknews.net/. "Picard" will be out next year, and "Lower Decks" an adult animated series too. The return of Trek is upon us!

And Costco taco seasoning? That is worth bring back? Too funny!

TeresaA said...

I love Discovery too! Very gritty!

Mag is a very good horse. Carmen would agree about the putting up with twitchy riders... :)

Nat D said...

Here we have non stop trek shows on the space channel. There seem to be multiple versions. Netflix can be a wonderful treasure trove. Enjoy the glorious weather that has started!

AareneX said...

REALLY looking forward to to the new Picard show! Discovery is way good, as Irish Horse said--it's "real." I don't know about "Lower Decks" will have to investigate.

As long as you're on Netflix, you should probably watch Stranger Things! :-)


RE: geocaching tool, I looked it up, there are "how to build" videos on Youtube. Huh. Who knew?


RE: horse disregarding your twitches, oh yes! Fee had to learn to ignore all kinds of weird behavior when my hips were hurting so much. A cue that used to mean "speed up and turn left" was now the cue for "dang, that hurts so much I have got to move this leg now and you need to just keep trotting forward without any changes." Then, after I got my bones swapped out, she had to learn to listen for the cues again!

lytha said...

Irish - Alex Kurtzman, that explains it: ) Fringe is one of my favorite series. And the musical theme for both shows is similar.

T, glad you enjoy it too. Wish someone would have said something sooner.

ND, "space channel" what a concept.

Aarene, at this rate I will have time for another series in my trial month.

HHmplace said...

I'm too, enjoying the last couple weeks before Butch is driving the big yellow bus again. We even had a WA type rain today - so nice - but we'll pay the price in humidity. We do have Costco & as to military - we see the Presidential jets flying around now & then. Impressive!