Tuesday, July 2, 2019

I'm a bad riding student

***This is my 5th lesson with Susanne and the 2nd time she's seen me ride in an arena.***

Lately I've been realizing I'm not an easy student to teach riding to. But in some ways I think I'm a good student.

The bad: I just flat out argued with Susanne today when she corrected my hand position yet again. She keeps saying my outside hand is crossing over the horse's neck. Every time she does, I look down and note where my hand is - *not* crossing over. So I'm getting fed up with that. Finally today I said, "Come look at where my hand is. This is as far "over" as it goes and it's not over the mane at all. It's adjacent to the mane." She put her hand there and said, "Yes, over the mane." I immediately realized her definition of "over" is different from mine. I had to defend myself, "So you mean *almost over* or *too close to the mane*." I can take advice, I just don't like being falsely accused, which is what it felt like. She doesn't want my outside hand anywhere near the mane. Got it.

Also, we almost got into an argument about changing whip hands. For the first time ever (?) I carried a crop because Mag is often behind my leg. I didn't use it, but had it there and whacked my stirrup a couple times (ok that's using it). She said she wasn't going to enforce that I switch whip hands when I switch directions. I said, "Good because in dressage you don't change your whip hand because you're pretty much constantly changing directions." She disagreed and said in the lower levels you do, and in the upper levels you only wear spurs and no whip so it's not an issue. What? Is that true?  She went on to say how important changing your whip hand is because 1. Some horses will look at the whip and that changes how they carry themselves and 2. You need the whip to be backing up your inside leg, not your outside leg. 

The good: I will always take what an instructor says literally and do what they ask. If they say more leg, I'm gonna show a clear difference in the amount of leg. If they want me to use my seat bones differently, my head position, I often give exaggerrated reactions to these requests.

The confusing: She told me to ride inside leg to outside rein, which is very good, but she told me a couple times to loosen my inside rein. So I let it go completely and had a really nice circle with my horse's head facing outside the circle. (Which is a Western riding exercise.)

In my attempt to do exactly as told, I was even starting to go sideways.

Now this entire time I was riding Abteiling with Ani (following her and repeating her patterns/exercises). Except I kept it at a walk cuz I have arena trauma.

Arena trauma: Susanne, "Get out on the rail! You're riding the 2nd Hufschlag (2nd hoof-track?)!" I said, "I'm not riding the rail today." Bad student. I just flat out refused, for half the arena anyway, to go on the rail, after seeing Mag spook a few times in our lunging.

He was much better than the last times at TPs arena on the lunge line, he didn't flip out completely or try to drag me today. But those spooks were settled in my mind and I was not going near those spots. Sometimes I wonder if Susanne remembers my #1 goal: to ride with less fear. Oh well. Maybe now she remembers.

Did you know there are two official methods for leg yielding? 1: Bend the horse's nose to the rail and ride along the rail with the horse's body at an angle. 2: My way: Keep the horse mostly straight and ride from the quarter line to the rail, diagonally (slight bend away from the direction of travel). I was very confused about this until I looked it up recently. It surprises me that two different movements can have the same exact designation, but oh well. So when Ani did her rail type leg yield, I did my diagonal one. Susanne didn't expect that at all and said my first few steps were fine but then I lost it.

Funny. She aske us both to halt and back. We did and then I second guessed myself and thought she wanted more steps, so I asked again. Oh maybe she wanted more? So I did it again. Three sets of 3 steps, and I had to laugh cuz Mag did a big C shape in total, unable to do that straight.

When S told me how bad that was I said, "So, how many steps did you ask for?" She said, "I didn't."

I said, "Well can you please say a number next time?" Geez.

She laughed, "You are so ENGLISH!"

(Later J told me I used the wrong word for number. Apparently there are two words for number in Germany - one that means number and one that means counting number. That was bound to come up at some point *lol*)

Finally she asked us to do THREE steps of rein back (she said, "as the dressage riders do, we're not going to do Western and go clear across the arena backwards").

Here's how it went. Mag backed up 4 steps, very nicely done, but 4. This is when I realize how often I override my horse. Rudi did 3. Basically Rudi did everything right today and I did very little right, but hey, as the time went on, I realized I wasn't anxious. I was so focused on changing how I rode, I didn't have the opportunity.

At the beginning of the lesson, I had one objective. I wanted to start to teach Mag true contact. He gets it a little, but not consistently and certainly doesn't know how to seek the rider's hand. That's what I wanted to do. I remember my Seattle dressage trainer would start out each horse at a standstill, just take the reins and release when the horse gives. Susanne said you best teach this at a trot, it's easier.

Then she said we must first achieve rhythm and relaxation. I replied, "OK so we're not ready yet."

In the end I realized (on my own) that you are allowed to touch the inside rein on the circle, just don't hold it as steady as the outside rein. Would have been nice to hear it from her.

Afterwards I told them I wouldn't be having lessons for the next 3 months because of going back to medic school. Bad timing because I made a lot of mental progress today. I'll try to keep this one good arena experience in mind until Autumn.

I'm still hiding indoors from the heat. Good thing I've got lots of studying to do.

     

8 comments:

TeresaA said...

You are not that bad a student: at least you ask questions and share what you are feeling. :)

re: Leg Yield: it's about the shape the horse travelling away from the bend so it doesn't matter where you do it or how: you can do along the rail, from the rail in, from the middle out. It's all the same.

Whip hand: switching is optional but if you want to back up an aid it helps if the whip is used on the side that the aid is given.

It sounds like you had fun. :)

Cait said...

Progress is progress!

I think it must be very difficult to take instruction in a second language, even a language that you are everyday-fluent in- there's so much specific language of learning/moving that doesn't come up necessarily in regular vocab, or at least it seems like to me. (Your example about over/near the mane is a typical one!)

I'm glad you're able to find someone to lesson with even if it's only intermittently!

AareneX said...

You thought you'd just slip in that bit about being back in school and we wouldn't notice? Yay for school! I'm sure you'll accomplish All The Things this time. :-)

Lessons are hard. I admit that I'm lazy and don't like them very much, since at this point, it's all about facing my fears (CANTERING?!?) and I don't want to face my fears. I like my fears way back in the corners where I can't see them, thank you. And language difficulties won't help me hide from them, either. Bahhhhh.

lytha said...

Teresa, thank you for that. That eventually I noticed I wasn't just surviving, I was actually riding, what a great feeling. Whip hand - I researched and read that in a dressage TEST you are not required to change whip hands, but will not be marked down if you do. I guess that is what stuck with me, because when I did dressage, I did change my whip hand in lessons. I did dressage for 5 years and competed at training level at class A. But don't you think it's weird that there are methods for leg yield that are performed diffently? I mean, can't we have a LY1 and a LY2?: )

Cait, Thank you. It might be a language thing cuz that lady is from another European country (I forget). Cuz my husband confirmed my understanding of the words "over" and "adjacent" tonight and even teased me, holding his hand over my head, or beside my head, and asking me the words. He's a great teacher. I hope that this trainer works out cuz I've been through so many. But you're right, we're taught the basics in German school when we move here. We are not expected to know "fach-begriffe" (professional terminology) so dressage and my medic course are especially challenging. Seriously, the word for "change your horse's gait to one lower" is an actual word here. Every time I hear that word I think, oh, there's that one word again. Half halt? No. Go slower? Yes.


Aarene, so ya know, I was wearing my 1999? Renegade shirt as I read your blog today. Still hanging on, light blue so it's perfect in this awful weather. (omg J is playing the Northern Exposure theme song on the piano right now as I'm typing this.)

So I owe you an explanation. SIGH.

You are not allowed to retake a medic test more than twice in Germany. There is no "remedial training." You must go back and take the entire course again. What sucks the most is, I took the class in two stages, EMT1 and EMT2, and passed the EMT1. THAT DOES NOT COUNT. I must re-take the EMT1 course. This is very expensive but the unemployment office is willing to pay this time, or so they say, we'll see.

I've been learning a lot from YouTube/WIKI about EMS in America and it is so, so different! In fact, Germany is one of the only nations where the doctor goes to the patient in the mobile hospital (ambulance). Anyway I'm so curious about the system there...hey, don't you know an EMT?

I figure if I do not pass this time, it's not meant to be, but I'll at least be an EMT1. Something not in demand in Germany but I'll at least have it.

AareneX said...

I know several EMTs, my niece is a volunteer firefighter/EMT in Cheney, she's a surgical tech at a hospital in Spokane for her day job. If you're gonna live rural here, the EMTs are all volunteers, they only have EMT "jobs" in cities like Seattle, but apparently private ambulance companies also hire EMTs to transport patients.

I know you'll do well on your next time. You said that you took the class in two stages before, can you take it all in one swoop this time?

lytha said...

Aarene, I will be taking it in all one fell swoop this time. But EMT1 and EMT2 tests are separately governed by the state (why?).

EvenSong said...

Yay! (?) for school. You’ll rock it this time!
As for lateral movements...I get very confused because I think there are actually THREE different laterals! Defined by how the horse’s body is bent. Haunches in, shoulder in, and two track?? Don’t ask me to identify them!
I’m happy for you that you were focused enough to forget your fears for awhile. I think that’s what happens when I compete, either in CD or mountain trail. Even when Kate gets fussy, I’m much more willing to ride through it, than chicken out.

Camryn said...

My eldest is an EMT at a volunteer dept. His training however was significantly different from the norm as he's also an Army Medic. He's able to do so much more but, legally not so much. He also works for the DOD, and his degree is in Emergancy Management. Several times a year he travels to set up emergency scenarios for the military to train & practice with. Wish I could send him to you to help.
You're not a bad student, the best ones ask questions as you do.