Wednesday, March 27, 2019

The chillest of Arabs and a Traber video

I had the horsey chiropractor out today, her second time seeing Mag. The first time she said he's crooked all over but needed no adjusting. Today she adjusted both a thoracic and a lumbar vertebra, so no riding for a bit.

     




I wanted to re-check for physical reasons for his kicking out. In fact today I was given a good example when he slipped on the geotiles and then struck the ground defensively. 

As she did all the range of motion tests, she said there are no anamolies, he has 100% freedom of movement. He lashed out with tail and hind legs, striking but not at her directly, to show her how uncomfortable some of the poking and prodding was (in his pelvic region especially). She said the reactions are normal, in fact, exactly what she expects to see.

I know nothing about horsey chiropractors - is it normal, what she did? She seemed to check his entire spine, ears to tail, and pushed him off balance a few times by the withers. She also did those balance (neuro) tests on his legs.



     


She offered to check his saddle fit and said it's fine. She also wanted to see his saddle pads. I proudly displayed "only lambskin." Also, she wanted to know how he reacts to saddling and I said, "He does not, he doesn't notice saddling at all." (In contrast with Baasha who thought he was dying, even if you simply put a loose bareback pad on.)

I pointed out how he's cow-hocked and she said better that than the opposite, and that some breeds consider it an asset. I'd heard that before but it was nice to hear again.

"Traber have a similar hind end conformation because of their gait." Then she insisted that Traber is not a breed, but a type. What huh? I corrected her, "American Standardbred." So I just checked with Google - I'm wrong - it's a term for different breeds who do trotting races. Ok then.

As much as Mag showed his displeasure at her poking device (pencil thing), he kept nuzzling her sweetly anytime she came to his head.

She said he's remarkably laid-back for his breed, "Look at his eyes, he's completely relaxed." She said most Arabians are crazy a few times: )

She grabbed some of the skin of his neck and said, "This is also atypical for his breed, his skin tone and muscle tone, so loose." (In contrast with my orange  mare Mara who kept herself fit (ripped) by simply being in a state of stress all the time. The mare pooped grapes.)

     

Don't be tempted to believe I brought Mara into this condition. I rode her as easily as I do Mag. She did this to herself.


In the end she came to no physical grounds for his behavior, she believes it is memory. He likely experienced things in his past that cause fear reactions years later.

***

Off topic.....

For Aarene, ein Traber video titled, "Whoever says it's easy to ride a Traber is lying."

He reminded me of Fiddle with his kicking out, but I like how this video shows his 5 gaits. They call it a Trallop? Is that a pace?



Although I agree with the comments that the spurring might be a problem for the horse, I like how her reins are mostly loose. Cuz spurring and yanking simultaneously isn't nice.

Oh, if I had more lives to live, I'd have a (small) dark bay Traber!

3 comments:

AareneX said...

Chiro: is your equine chiro a veterinarian? My equine chiro (who is also certified in acupuncture, and uses the blunt end of a ball-point pen to examine for reactive points as yours did) is, and she calls non-vet chiropractors "body stretchers" when she's being polite.

There's a guy here who calls himself a chiro, he's entirely self taught and Fiddle HATES him. People we know use him because he's 1.) cheaper than my vet/chiro and 2.) comes to the barn on a regular schedule so he's convenient. But between Fiddle's opinion and my vet's opinion, I won't go there.

The video: I want to slap the videographer. I want to SEE THE HORSE MOVE, not watch your dumb special effects! And leave the camera running, instead of shifting every 6 or 8 seconds. Pet peeves.

When I CAN see the horse:
In the very beginning sequence (in the field) there's a small segment where the horse is trotting forward, head low, excellent impulsion, smooth and powerful. I could ride THAT all day! Then in the riding segments, they've got the horse tied down in some kind of martingale that keeps him from stretching his neck out and down. If you get a choppy gait from that horse, it's the equipment's fault, not his. Gahhh.

Gaits: I saw some acceptable trot, and a bit of decent canter (at the end). I also saw some pacing (both feet on same side strike the ground at exactly the same time), and a stepping pace (same side feet move together but strike the ground in a heartbeat rhythm lub-dub, lub-dub, instead of a trot rhythm tak-tak-tak-tak). And a couple of made-up gaits, like a cantelope (they call it a "trantor", it isn't anything really, except disorganized feet!) and some bucking and spooking.

Maybe I need to do a video :-)

AareneX said...

Ha! I do have a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCupPAuBkHU

You can see her "throw a tantrum" at :25, it's the 2.5 steps she takes there, and then goes back to work. This is a typical tantrum for her these days, the longest will last about 4 strides, and she will throw them when she thinks I'm ignoring her input.

This video shows just trotting forward--the lesson I was taking was all about ME, and how to make my riding make her more comfortable. It was shot about 30 minutes into an hour-long session, so we are warmed up but not nearly done learning for the day.

Nat D said...

Funny video, but Aarenes comments were funnier. Its not clear to me though why you would want a traber (did you see those spooks?), nor why you would want one small (one of their best qualities is their legginess).