Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Riding like a normal person twice in a week!

I won't repeat my last ride post because today was virtually identical except for the following.

Mag's heart wasn't in it today, I think because the mare Rudi kept glaring at him and swishing her tail even though we were quite far from her. When Rudi did her typical refusal to go up the hill, Mag did his typical take-charge and led the way as Ani got Rudi turned back around facing up, instead of toward home. Self-preservation is always so strong in mares! (A good thing.)

But Mag didn't feel like leading today, so I let him follow. From time to time Ani would stop Rudi to wait for us - perhaps 5 times, as Rudi power-walked toward home. Mag's no slowpoke but that mare can really move when she's facing her barn. I was so happy that Ani was *able* to stop her to wait for us, considering the past where she's left us alone (like, totally alone!). I thanked her for it. She seemed thrilled that Rudi was willing to wait, the mare seemed to get it.

The only other thing that was different today was something new for Mag - as he followed her along he relaxed enough that he dropped his head low and walked that way. Wow, I don't know why, but I thanked him by giving him more rein and relaxing each time he did it. Putting your head down always gives you a reward Mag!

We leg yielded a few times in each direction, and did some bending as well, after we'd split up and were alone. He's starting to grasp the idea of giving to the bit - I lay my legs on him lightly but take up contact and when he drops his head and reaches forward, I release. Since he's understanding that, I'm moving up to holding the contact and keeping my leg on, and like a baby, sometimes he'll think trot but that will soon go away. My cue to trot is different, it's more mental.

At our split-up point, Mag didn't want to, again, and actually refused to go forward toward home. So I let him stand there for a while, thinking about his options. Finally he decided it's better to go where I point him. This is only his third time under saddle having to leave his buddy, and I'm just happy he does it at all!

Although I wish Mag were 8 years older than he is, I'm very proud of him lately. Though yesterday he would not approach me because I had the hood of my jacket on!

3 comments:

EvenSong said...

Ah! But Mag is GETTING older! And more mature! Go Mags!

irish horse said...

Yeah! Maybe next time, if he doesn't want to go home, do another loop! I think he (and you) and ready for it...

Camryn said...

Awe, your baby boy is growing up. So happy for you guys.