Saturday, December 22, 2018

Christmas spirit!

It's blogland's fault that I've been going Christmas crazy all month (Gail!). She just mentioned cookies and I went nuts - I am currently doing Cookie-palooza, with several doughs waiting in the freezer for Christmas Eve at J's family celebration.

But first, his mom gifted me these "fairy lights" and since they're so named, I wonder if that means I can keep them up all year? They are perfect hanging from our ceiling beams!


They're not on timers like all our outdoor/window lights so every morning I plug them in and enjoy all day long. I realize I have no photos of our outdoor lights this year but it's the same as every year, so you already know how overboard I go (to the neighbors' dismay!). If you would like to see, let me know and I'll get a photo.



Cookie #1 - Spritz Gebaeck. I made exactly 7 cookies before my Spritz pistol blew up and died....we fixed it today so we'll see if I can whip up another batch, because these won J's top cookie award. They remind me of my grandmother's so much, even though I could not find colored sugar anywhere.



Cookie #2 - crinkles. I didn't really know they are just brownies rolled up into balls. Now I know. Also, I must make them much, much smaller cuz they are so intense no one can eat an entire one.



Not-cookie #3 - I made Aussie meat pies recently and with the leftover puff pastry I was suddenly inspired to make pocket pies. These are filled with raspberry/blackberry hybrids from our garden. J says they are also "too much" so next time I'll make them tiny. They taste almost exactly like Puyallup Fair scones! Oh my gosh, the taste of a happy childhood.

NOT SHOWN - my first attempt at Rice Crispy treats in Germany, with not-rice-at-all wheat puffs, that no matter how tiny I made them, were too marshmallowy for J. I plan on making them and marketing them to the multiple new young children in the family.

Also not shown, my Zimt Sterne. I made "gingerbread" stars - not sure I can use that word cuz there is no molasses in Germany. Similar, though, and J's second favorite. I've got to get my cookie cutting skills in order cuz I couldn't even take a photo they were so ugly. Help?



Another one from Gail's recommended site, these were extremely hard to make cuz Candy Canes are not a thing in Germany. I searched high and low and then J's intern came up with a bunch and gave the to him. These cookies are a minty overload - inside each cookie is an After 8 (Germany's peppermint patty). They smell like Girl Scout cookies. I sent an entire batch with J on the last day of school to give his intern as a thank you.



Also not pretty, but an amazing experience if you're a mint fan. Oh, you might ask why I'm baking cookies when I'm on the Atkins diet. I have discovered I mostly love baking for my husband (including the Aussie pies) and other people, and only allow myself a bite or two to see what the heck they taste like. I'm amazed anyone might eat an entire one of these, I've lost my taste for sugar. Tomorrow I'll size them down.



I'm not sure you can see that the glass in our woodstove is kaputt. That was February, and we finally got around to getting a replacement.



This was what I came home to after the two dudes on the left finished installing our new unit. It is 3 years old, used in the shop, so has a few defects (therefore affordable).  I wasn't sure at first but I like it because of the huge "TV screen" window. It was really hard to find a wood stove that isn't the modern, slim/tall type, which wouldn't work in our house cuz our ceilings are less than 2 meters.



I was in love.....



And then I fell out of love because we cannot use it without smoking up our home. *sigh* If you open the door to load another piece of wood, you smoke yourself out. You end up opening all the windows to your home just to have a fire that burns more than a couple hours. I've given up, I don't know what to do. It is so awesome, but you just cannot open the door....and that's kind of an important part of keeping a fire going. Ideas? Oh, the Chimney Sweep was already here to inspect, (by German law your wood stoves must be inspected every 6 months and your chimneys cleaned), and it is not compliant, yet. If I told you the steps we must take, you wouldn't believe me.



TODAY!!!!!!! WE GOT A TREE!!!!!!! A REAL TREE!!!!!!!!!!!!

We haven't had a tree at all the past few years but suddenly J said yes, this year we could. I think he sensed my homesickness and knew it would help me feel better.

The only trees we'd ever had here are the tiny ones that come in pots, that you plant in your garden after (and 2 of them are still growing, doing fine, which is scary cuz they'll be huge someday). For some reason I needed a "real" Christmas tree this year - big enough to almost touch our ceiling, and require a Christmas tree stand.

Wow that was hard, finding a store that sells them. First of all, I had to take the bus. Annoying. But not nearly as annoying as the song playing at the shop I felt sure would have a stand, but did not.

You know the song.

I cringed, "I'd love to just get by ONE YEAR without hearing how someone broke George Micheal's heart." 

In fact when I complained later to J, he pondered, "This is the real reason the time machine was invented! It was someone who'd had ENOUGH of that song, and traveled back in time to kill that lady George Micheal gave his heart, mistakenly, away to on Christmas.

I laughed so hard, and thankfully my husband did not run to the piano to play it! I would have thrown rice crispy treats at him.

I finally found a tree stand and a string of blue lights.

I re-enacted my step-father's quest for MORE BLUE and here we have it - a mostly blue tree. It is so pretty, the camera cannot capture it.



It's huge. It takes up so much space I'm not sure we can watch TV. Huge compared to what we'd had in the past. We don't have any nice ornaments but I'm kind of fond of the tiny bells and mini red balls and felt stars - no idea, they must have all come from J's mom over the years, I've never bought an ornament in my life.



Since the grocery stores will be closed 4 out of the next 5 days, we went "American style" shopping, filling up our fridge and cupboards and they had some old bread for sale for 50cents per loaf, and I grabbed them for Bellis and Mag. They're on the radiator so they'll turn into crispy snacks in 12 hours. All German horses eat bread.



Oh my, since I started typing it turned to nighttime and it's so amazing at night! Why don't we always have a tree!? THREE of those boxes under the tree are from America, holding the most-treasured basic things we miss about my home....we hope!

As I type this I'm listening to YouTube's London Symphony Orchestra Christmas Carols.

I know some people don't love Christmas and I think I understand. People die, or people are ungrateful making family gatherings stressful, and not sheer the bliss I grew up with. We had a lit-up life-size nativity in my grandparents' yard (they do not exist in Germany - or you know I'd have one!). We had trays of homemade cookies, animatronic Santas, a huge reindeer on the wall with a glowing red nose.

One of our favorite somewhat-recent memories of a Christmas with my sister's family in America, for J and me, was the year little Christian was overwhelmed with happiness to find a toothbrush under the tree. He ran around the house yelling, "A TOY STORY 3 TOOTHBRUSH! THANK YOU MOM! THANK YOU DAD!"

That's the spirit: )


13 comments:

AareneX said...

Pretty sure George Michael didn't give his heart to a female person :-)

I am so tired of stupid Xmas jingles. You wanna know why shopping online is a thing? THAT IS WHY.

I love your tree! And I'm glad I was eating breakfast while looking at pictures of cookies so I can't even pretend that I'm hungry...

Some years I'm dying for a tree, but with a kitten (he's 9 months old now) in the house, that would be crazy (and this year I'm not dying for it). So we're using the "ornament tree" that Monica built for her crafts booth--it hangs on the wall 3 feet above the floor so the Rumpletiger can't destroy it. We put a string of tiny purple battery-operated LED lights on it this year. And that's all!

Thanks for the pictures. I still kinda want cookies.

lytha said...

Aarene! My Winter-lazy cat (not hybernating, but pretending) was so lazy as we set up the tree, I threw a few pieces of cat food toward it. She ate the and walked away. *sigh* OK, fine. Our cat is the must unobtrusive cat in the cat galaxy.

I'm glad you like our tree, which is short by American standards, but makes me unable to stop smiling, and J just tried to get me to try, and failed. *lol*

Just give me a Christmas, please, in EITHER COUNTRY, without George Micheal. I'll die a happy person.

EvenSong said...

I, too, love your little tree! I did all blue and silver one year, and it's neat to go (almost) mono-chromatic.
I am one of those people that isn't much into Christmas anymore (now that the kids are grown). Was really into "church" Christmas when we were active--advent, lessons and carols, Christmas Eve service-- but just never found a church family here in E-burg.
But I had both kids, and two grandkids, here last night for "solstice"/early Christmas dinner, for the first time since my son moved out in the mid-90's! So it was kinda special...
Merry Christmas to you and J! 🎄

Gail said...

Oh, I love your post! I'm so glad I inspired you to make such wonderful cookies (and non-cookies)! I wish I could have made as many different kinds as you did - but there's still the winter, right? And German horses eat bread? I must know more about this! Please tell me more! Is it a tradition? A certain kind of bread? How much do you feed? How often?

ellie k said...

Do you have a damper on your stove pipe? If so make sure it is open all the way when you open the door, that might help. I grew up with coal stoves for heat and remember that was important. I do love the blue Christmas tree. Enjoy it and water a lot. Merry Christmas from Florida.

lytha said...

Evensong, all the lights were blue? It's hard to get into Christmas without family, and tree shopping alone is no fun. Glad you got your family this year!

Gail, horses are given bread and rolls in Germany because Germany has an intense bread culture. Most people buy bread fresh from the bakery and since it has no (?) preservatives, it's bad after a couple days. So instead of throwing all this bread away, they give it to horses. All types of bread, esp. the rolls called "Broetchen." In fact if you visit any boarding barn in Germany, there will be large tubs or sacks full of day-old bread for the horses (all rock-hard). Whenever my photographer friend visits us, she brings a tub of dried bread. Germans are very strict about drying the bread on their radiators (there is no forced-air heat in Germany). In fact whenever I get caught feeding fresh, soft bread to my animals, I get in trouble, they think they'll choke on it (but that is debateable). When I brought Baasha to Germany, he first refused to eat bread, but watched others eating it often enough to be converted. Mag is picky, he likes wheat not white. The bread in Germany is wonderful, it's the main things German miss when they're abroad. And all Germans hate American bread. But for all the variety, I miss American style Rye and American style Sourdough - there is nothing close to those here. Then again, I don't eat bread at all on this diet so...: )

Ellie, there are no dampers/fluehs (?) on these wood stoves, no idea why! If you're in Florida, do you decorate Palm trees?

kbryan said...

Your cookies look awesome! (Just make your own colored sugar with a bit of food coloring). Nom, nom, nom.

I love your blue tree, and yes, we want to see the outside decorations. Blue lights are the best!

I hope you and your family and critters have an especially wonderful holiday season!

Kay

TeresaA said...

Your tree is lovely. I wonder if your damper is stuck? You shouldn’t get smoke.
Have a wonderful Christmas holiday

ellie k said...

Some people do decorate palm trees, lights out each leaf. I am alone and do not put a tree up but my daughter goes all out with 3 or 4 trees and I spend Christmas eve with them and the next day with her inlaws.

AareneX said...

After all these years, I've never offered the Dragon any bread...and since I make it myself, we usually have some around the house, especially in winter (when I bake frequently, as it heats up the house nicely, plus, you know, food). Might have to get around to trying it.

I have sourdough starter if you want some...and if we can figure out how to get it to you. Pretty sure that shipping it would kill it, and definitely sure that airport security staff would deliberately kill it :-) But since you don't eat bread, it's probably not urgent, right?

RE: the wood stove. Here, the stoves need to be "certified" to be useful in winter. We have a non-certified stove in the shop, it's a smokey mess and we rarely use it. The certified stove in the house is HEAVY steel, and the chimney is a double-wall tube that is 14' tall with no bends--it's very simple, and we are able to clean it ourselves. We keep the house at 70*+ on winter evenings. If your new stove is a good one it might be burning better than your old one and overwhelming the chimney. If you have a good source of wood, it can be worthwhile to actually be WARM in winter, and a good investment to fix your chimney. We mostly gather wood ourselves--after windstorms like the one we had last week there are always people who will give downed trees away to anybody shows up with a truck and a chainsaw. Somehow I don't see your man as a "chainsaw guy" but maybe I'm wrong.


EvenSong said...

Thinking about Ellie's comment, I wondered, too, about a damper, both in the stove pipe, and an "intake", usually under the door in front somewhere. No damper would mean your stove burns full force constantly?
I think we used to open the stovepipe damper and intake to get the fire going, so it was actively sucking air in from the front, before we opened the door to add wood. (Allan and I converted the wood stove in our little house to propane when we moved in. So much nicer!)
Merry Christmas to you and J!

jVo said...

What is the lever under the door of your wood stove? It looks like the damper we have on ours. Anyway if it isn't then try cracking the door open just a little. Once it gets the draft going open it VERY slowly the rest of the way. We burned wood in an inside stove like that for years. Last year we got an outdoor wood boiler system and it is heaven! Same cheap heat but no smoke!!

lytha said...

jVo, the levers are there for air intake. One is for lighting the fire, the other is..who knows. We have learned that neither do anything with this stove - we just keep them open all the time. No difference, shutting or opening, so *sigh*

I gotcha on that VERY SLOW opening thing!

Yesterday I made a fire that leaked ZERO smoke into our home, cuz I did what you suggested, TWICE I opened it to add wood, and since it was down to coals anyway, and how slowly I opened, our house was spared the smoke plume. I have no idea what a wood boiler system is.