Thursday, December 6, 2018

"All the world will be your enemy, prince of a thousand enemies...."

"And when they catch you, they will kill you." Says Frith, God of the rabbits.

I think it's parallel to horses because their first defense is flight, despite having teeth/claws/hooves. When under attack, it's just about the running.





I was happy to hear BBC is producing a new version of Watership Down this year, maybe you've seen it. I hope I get a chance to see it. It's not Pixar, but it looks great. (Speaking of which, if you're a Lion King fan I've heard there is a new Pixar re-release of the film with CGI that rivals live-action. I was recently forced to watch Lion King and I found it, and the sequel to be lessons about bad baby sitters.)

Here is the trailer for the new Watership Down:



"...But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed."

One of my favorite books of all time (top 3?) is called Duncton Wood, a Watership Down-type story of moles, of all things (hate them). But so well done.

What, there's a musical? Hrm!


10 comments:

irish horse said...

I am still too traumatized so many years later by Watership Down. I watched the movie when I was about 10, ahhh! I later read the book and was just as upset. It is excellent, but just too hard for me, I'll be skipping this one.

I have not read Duncton Wood, I'll look that up. I have read Traveller, by Watership Down author Richard Adams, which is the American Civil War told from the point of view of Robert E. Lee's horse. Similar but different, a pretty good read.

AareneX said...

So have you read any of the Redwall books, then?

lytha said...

Irish, 10 is too young, but it was upsetting. When you say Traveller I think of Westley Crusher's space time jumping friend. I'm showing Next Gen to Ani - her first time - and I think she likes Westley as much as I do. When they yell at him, "what is the BOY doing here?" I now can relate and say, "Yah, he's just an intern, get him off the bridge." (Ani cracked up cuz I've been suffering "just the intern" syndrome a lot lately.)

Aarene, I'll look them up.

irish horse said...

The Redwall books suggested by AareneX are very good.

Shut Up Westley! He had to wear the most awful sweaters.

Time for the best holiday song/video (a must watch every year): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiSn2JuDQSc

AareneX said...

Gahhh, Westley Crusher was my LEAST favorite character on STNG (though I did like the "Traveller" episodes). Most of the time, it was like, "the Borg are outside knocking, the senior staff is trapped on the holodeck, but FEAR NOT, Westley will reprogram a handheld flashlight to fix everything!" Meh. Gimme a nice herky Klingon security officer any day.

But Traveller, the book, was a good read. It's about the best-known mount of General Robert E. Lee, and the horse tells the story of his experiences during the war. Interestingly, Traveller figures that he and Mr. Robert won the thing.

You really, really need to read *Redwall.* Irish Horse: you too! It's a great adventure, and also reads aloud well.

Becky Bean said...

I read Watership Down at 11 and it completely mesmerized me and took over my life for a few months.

i watched the cartoon at 17 and got upset to my stomach for hours afterwards. It left me feeling.... dark, just way too dark. The same thing happened to me after Princess Mononoke... just way too dark.

I am really hopeful about this new movie. I can't wait!

hainshome said...

Your twin loves Watership Down as well. No surprise there. 🙂

TeresaA said...

I loved Watership Down, Duncton Woods and Redwall. Now I want to read them all again!

Linda said...

Sadly, I’ve never read Watership Down, but I still have time to remedy that. I’ll look up Duncton Wood, too. I haven’t heard of it.

lytha said...

I'm reading Redwall now, first time! It's very light and easy to read, I'm enjoying it.