Friday, November 30, 2018

Spoil sport in the Paris Arabian World Championship 2018

This summer  I missed my chance to go to Aachen's "All Nations Cup" to see Mag's cousin Equator, grandson of Ekstern as Mag is, and bred and owned by Michalow Stud in Poland. My friend Michi went but told me the public was not allowed into the barns, which relieved me, I won't go to a show where I can't see horses in the stalls.

Last weekend was Paris "World Championship" (how silly that each country wants to be the world, just like the Superbowl, when no other nation competes).

I would love to have an excuse, finally, to go to Paris, but I was working.

In Aachen, I saw Equator bow down to give the Gold to Harir. The audience was blown away. But Harir was great. I understood.

In Paris, we all wondered which of the two would take Gold. Would it be my Mag's cousin, or would it be this extremely typy grey, Harir?

The Gold went to Equator. Finally. He deserves it. Although I'm not sure about his left front leg, it seems crooked, and I've been told it is....He's a funky looking horse with a big nose and a huge throat. But he has the Ekstern movement (Mag's dam's sire from the American horse Monogramm). The movement everyone wish they had. And without saying comes the power of the Polish Arabian, with the huge joints and body that was meant for work.

Then they awarded the Silver, and the Silver did not come.

Of course it was Emirate Stud Harir, but where was he?

Um.....come get your trophy!

No, he was gone.

Whisked away by his owner, who left the VIP area immediately after Equator won Gold.

He would not have it, that his horse took 2nd.

He told the handler to remove the horse and they would not show up.

In fact, it caused such confusion that the 3rd winner, the Bronze, was believed to be the Silver as he was led in by Giacomo (remember my blog about the curly-haired hobbit guy?). That horse was also excellent, and as the American commentator interviewed Giacomo, it seemed they both understood this horse won 2nd.  Hrm!

Where was Harir?

In his trailer on the way home, probably.

His breeder posted on facebook today, that he does not deserve his name to be permanently attached to this incident. I doubt that. He was Gold in Aachen. He's forever Gold. He just didn't win TWICE Gold in a row. He may again!

I am blown away by what kind of a person makes one who refuses to accept a red ribbon, a 2nd place in a race, a silver medal at the Olympics. People are worried about the fate of Harir, that he won't be treated as well, but I doubt his conditions will change, he won Gold in Aachen afterall, and Menton, and in Dubai.

Wanna see the horse? He's what people call "feminine" but I don't care, I love that face.



You all know I have nicknames for all the handlers. I don't know many of their names. But this guy handling Harir, I call the "Dave Gahan guy" - cuz he looks like the lead singer of Depeche Mode. Look carefully and you can see "Dave" laughing, grinning, engaging in a dance with the horse, in pure joy! Wow, most handlers see it as a job. Dave seems to really love it. I'd hire him.

If you want to see Equator's run in this show, here it is. I love both "Dave Gahan"'s conection to Harir, and Raphael's connection with Equator.

In the moment he learned he would win, he wrapped his arms around the stallion's neck and just cried his eyes out, even blinking tears into the cameras......the announcer touched him and said, "You're shaking! Once in a lifetime huh?"

Oh my.

Here's Equator, my favorite due to his movement and, well, Mag say hi to your cousin on YouTube!

5 comments:

irish horse said...

Both horses are lovely (though ridiculous behavior from the petulant second-place owner!) but I find it hard to judge when they're running around like kites on a string, flinging themselves about! Sure they stood, then walked, but I sure can't tell what their true trot looks like, or is even rideable.

And mainly I'm glad that my arab doesn't behave like that (well he has his moments, but not often!)

Camryn said...

I've had that happen when showing my Cardigans. One handler who stormed out after not winning had been a friend (I thought). I've also watched a judge look towards a breeder standing on the sidelines. for placement cues. The worst for me was grown adults crying for not being in the ribbons. Just never got that.

AareneX said...

Performing is a high energy thing, and these handlers throw a LOT of energy into what they do--I think both of them really enjoy it, but it's especially apparent with the guy with the grey--he's laughing several times. Also, when one of the judges held up a finger to the grey, the horse stretched out his face hoping it was a cookie, which made ME laugh.

I think when people cry, it's because of all that energy that they've whomped up for the performance, and then there needs to be an outlet to disperse it--crying is pretty normal, even for winners.

The grey's face, gahh. That's not typey, that's alien. I do like his movement. Did the bay look a little...odd...on his dark foot? Not lame, even though he never trotted four continuous strides in the same direction. But if there was a foot that could be in the air, it was always that one.

lytha said...

Aarene, I didn't see lameness in Equator (but HATE when they canter - they're supposed to just trot). I noticed an odd crookedness in his LF only visible when standing relaxed (not posing) from straight-on. Which you rarely get to see.

I HATE the balding of the Arabians' eyes and muzzles, and the grease. But I just imagine what he looks like without the makeup and he's got the prettier face.

I liked that when the judge put out his finger like he was greeting a cat. I've seen other judges walk up and let the horses look at their tablets/paperwork, just to get a connection I suppose. Yah, "Dave Gahan" was having a blast! I love the guys who can actually smile out there.

Irish, I can only judge their conformation when they are not posing, for example when standing at the rail waiting. That is where I learn the most about each horse. That is when I bring out my camera!

Camryn, crying for LOSING? Oh dear!

I went out to visit Mag and he's filthy, covered in mud, with a mud-colored mane and tail (I've been too busy to dote on him) but he looked at me with that sweet face and I told him, "You are absolutely as good as they are!"

HHmplace said...

The Kite-on-a-string thing is hard on joints too... I like the bay - seemed to be more "in the moment" than the gray. Loved seeing the video's. Had to be fun!