Saturday, November 3, 2018

All that for Starbucks Via

I must begin by saying as a native Seattleite, we do not drink Starbucks. Natives just don't go there, cuz we have much nicer local espresso bars that taste better. But I'm 8K KM away from home and since I'm not a fan of McDonalds, it is one place I can go and smell the fragrance of home, that burnt smell,  even if I'm just ordering an iced Americano (and they've actually asked me, "Do you know what that is?")

I was a barista in college at another mom & pop espresso bar - I don't call the smallest drink a "tall." SMH

As an ex-pat I have grown to accept Starbucks - my husband loves a Vanilla milkshake, and I will pay 4 bucks for their cheapest drink, but so rarely, because there is no Starbucks near us.

We have to go to Wuppertal or Cologne, and into the city centers where you have to pay to park. Why would I do that, I'm not that much of a coffee person.

But on our last visit to America, my sister made me a cup of Starbucks Via - their version of instant coffee. I was surprised, it was as good as regular coffee, and better. It says right on it, "For when you're traveling." Indeed, we were, visiting our dad on the peninsula, so she came prepared.  She is a coffee snob. Sorry, connoisseur.

It left an impression on me and she even sent me some by mail for my birthday.

I don't drink much coffee but I've come to reward myself daily with one cup of Via after my chores are done.





It's not cheap - it's 6 bucks for a pack of 12. So, way more expensive than making a pot of coffee, but way less expensive than buying a cup somewhere.

Amazingly, Amazon sells it for twice the price of Starbucks. (I have not found out how to access the Starbucks' online store yet.) Reviewers on Germany's Amazon, 1000 of them, mostly love it, and one lady even said, "I mix a little bit of it in whenever someone gives me a cup of coffee I don't like much." Someone else commented, "I put a few packs in a french press and usually get compliments, they don't realize it's instant."

People mostly like it cuz it's convenient, (CAMPING), but for me, it's even easier to prepare, because like all Germans we have a Wasserkocher, an electric kettle that boils water in a matter of seconds. I go from wanting a cup of coffee to drinking one in less than one minute (and I add Sussi and cream).

I should say, I'd never heard of Keurig before my visit this year, and on my visit, had my first cup. I understand, I love the convenience of one cup at a time (I loved Nespresso in Switzerland)  but I am relieved to see that America is re-thinking the waste that Keurig creates. 

I'm no addict, but two days ago I ran out of Via, and dumped my cup of regular coffee down the sink, it had that metallic taste that so much coffee has.

I had to get to a Starbucks, cuz I wasn't paying Amazon 40 Euros for 48 packets.

***

Today J had to go to his chiropractor, a new one cuz the other guy just left him in pain, and he actually called in sick this week due to not being able to drive. He asked if I'd drive him to Bochum, an hour away. Of course I would. And....um.....is there by chance a Starbucks near that city?

He looked it up, yah, but 20 minutes further. No problem.

I dropped him at the doctor and followed my Navi into strange new places in Germany, and I have to say....

I am NOT comfortable sharing the road with street cars and driving along their tracks. I never had to do that in Seattle, and it makes me feel like I'm gonna die at any moment, how is it that trains and cars share streets?

I said a few prayers over the course of this journey, especially that I didn't kill a pedestrian or bicyclist in unfamiliar complicated intersections where I literally had no idea who had the right of way, or where I was supposed to stop.

I made it to downtown Bochum and wow, bigger city than I expected. I found a park house and drove underground, stopping at a gate to get the card. I hate those gated underground lots, but I told myself, "You are NOT driving your 1 ton Chevy long bed, you are in a Prius. But really, the Prius seems huge in those lots.

I pulled into a "dead end" in that lot and had to wait for-e-ver for people entering the garage to let me in. A whole string of cars that just kept entering the garage, and blocking my way out. I got so frustrated finally I just barged into line. Very European of me.

Then I parked, and made my way to one of the exit doors. But it was no exit. I took the elevator up to ground level but there was no ground. There was just two entrances to businesses!

I ran back down the stairs and took another exit, to find out it was fake too, it led me to more businesses.

There were no signs telling me how to get out of that place, and I was completely trapped down there.

Finally I found one that worked (lucky me?) and hurried up two flights of stairs to actual ground level, to the pedestrian area of the city. Woo, I made it!

Then I realized I did not have my cell phone, and when I looked at my wrist, there was no watch. Right, I'd been in a hurry to leave the house, unplanned.

How hard can it be to find a Starbucks in a German city.

I was confident for about the first 10 minutes, and then I asked someone and she pointed me the way. Thank you!

I found the mall she was talking about and walked around it, on the outside, its complete circumference, no Starbucks.

I saw three different middle aged couples kissing each other in the middle of the pedestrian area, as if seeing each other for the first time in years. How odd. But the Hauptbahnhof (main train station) is right there, so maybe.

I found another mall nearby and went in and saw a directory and sure enough, under "Gastronomy" there was a Starbucks. But the word was covered by a sticker with another restaurant's name! No way!

It WAS here!

I kept wandering, full speed, and found a shop that looked like a Starbucks (green tents) but was not. I couldn't help it, I went inside to ask this cafe where the other cafe went.

The little dude had no idea what I was talking about but then said, "There is another Starbucks."

Really. I thanked him and wondered how long I'd been out there, and how worried my husband was about me.

I couldn't find it. I asked another person and finally found it, ironically, where I would have looked for it if I'd never asked for help today. (Next to Saturn, Germany's Best Buy).

I hurried up the hill and rushed in and right in front of me was the Via and I grabbed 4 boxes. At the counter the guy looked at me smiling, "Did you run here?"

I said, "I've come a very long way from a town very far from here and I found the Starbucks that is gone, and finally I found this one. I've been looking on foot for a long time."

He, amazingly, offered me a drink of water. I was so shocked I refused, I just wanted out of there.

I said, "By the way, is this Bochum or Hattingen? Where am I exactly?"

He laughed out loud, "Bochum!" He couldn't believe it.

He offered me another glass of water. I said, "I have to run!" and paid, thanked him and ran out of there.

I had been very careful to memorize where my parking garage was, because with no phone, no idea where my husband even was, the one thing I could not afford to lose was my car.

I found the huge shiny new building with the garage and I went to the exact door I'd exited earlier.

It was locked.

No way.

Then I went to another entrance and thank God there was a tiny card reader and it wanted my park card. I scanned it and it opened.

I went down down down and there was my car, and I looked at the time, I'd only been out there for 30 minutes, but I'd spent over 30 getting there. I trusted my Navi to get me back to my husband in "who-knows-where" and although I got turned around twice, I eventually found it.

Happily J was not too worried, his session longer than expected.

I was like, "I couldn't get out of the garage!!!!!!!!!!!" and "I couldn't get INTO the garage!!!!!!!!!!"

Starbucks Via - 48 packets, which will last me at least 48 days.

Oh wait, I forgot. I got Ani hooked on them now and she drinks one per week when she visits. SO..........*shrug*

***

I just remembered, a horsey friend of mine became independently wealthy by investing in Starbucks. She visited me here a few years ago, maybe you recall she attended Equitana with me and rode my crazy mare Mara. She told me, being from Seattle, knowing Starbucks from days of yore, she was surprised to see a Starbucks in Japan in the 90s. She invested, and well, doesn't have to work anymore, but does so for fun: )





13 comments:

Camryn said...

Sounds like quite a memorable adventure you had. Hmmmm, never heard of VIA. Will have to try it. We have a kuerig but, don’t use the throwaway pods. Used to manage a specialty coffee shop, loved the barista part. Not so much the being boss part!

lytha said...

Camryn, What do you mean you don't have disposable pods with Keurig?

From my barista days at the University of Washington next to a record shop - my boss let me have a "Free Shot of the Day" with a correct answer to a trivia question of my choice.

I'd put a picture of Baasha there and say, "What breed."

Then a local Seattle musician wanted to put a flyer in my window and I said, "Show me your driver's license, if you're really him." Uh, ok then. When I later attended his concert, I could tell people that I'd carded him.

I loved giving people free shots when they were nice to me. And they mostly were, even when they guessed Appaloosa for Baasha.

AareneX said...

Baasha didn't look anything like an Appy!!!!!

Your adventures for coffee, sigh. I rarely drink the stuff, hard to believe I was born here.

How is grabbing your phone not part of the routine, right after making sure you put on pants and before grabbing car keys?!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Well, how's that for synchronicity... I have my own Starbucks story today. I never go there, but I lost my husband in the supermarket, and got tired of him waiting to show himself, so I thought I'd grab just cup of black coffee. When I reached for my wallet, the barista told me it was on the house. I thanked her and asked why. She said, "The store makes us give away one free coffee an hour. You are number 11." So, I got a free coffee, and I'm glad it was free, because I thought it was horrible, and ended up throwing half of it away. I suspect I got the bottom of the barrel, and that's the real reason why it was free.

AareneX said...

p.s. which musician did you card????

TeresaA said...

Starbucks is not my favourite but it’s a safe one to go to when I need a coffee. I hate McDonalds. I haven’t tried the Via yet but may based on your recommendation.

Camryn said...

I should've said we use refillable pods. Still pods but, you don't toss them. Simply refill with your coffee to use again & again. Or until you accidentally throw it away, which I have done!

lytha said...

Aarene, I think they guessed Appy cuz that was the only breed people in the U district could come up with. Um, well, I don't have a smart phone. I'm not convinced it would enrich my life, and I don't need a virtual life accompanying my real life 24 hours a day; I set aside Internet time and that is all it gets from me. If you could tell me what is worthwhile about having 100% connectivity, I'd listen. Also, I never have to grab car keys, I have a smart car *lol*

NM, TODAY? really! Cool. But not, when it doesn't taste good. I know, I've never in my life ordered a cup of black coffee from a Starbucks.

Aarene, I'm trying to remember but I cannot. I know it wasn't a big band like SoundGarden or PearlJam - I'm pretty sure it was one of their opening bands, like MudHoney. One I would have known the name, but may have never heard the band live.

Teresa, Via is a life safer in off places. And I bet you have Wasserkocher in Nova Scotia.

Camryn, Cup by cup is so much tastier than forcing yourself to drink a whole pot in one day if you're single (husband doesn't drink coffee). I've actually served a family member microwaved brew coffee and they were rightly appalled. OK, gotcha. Starbucs VIA for you next time.



hainshome said...

You have to add that the best Via is Columbian! The others can be bitter. Like most Starbucks. haha

Karen B in so california said...

I'm very interested to know more about your Wasserkocher electric kettle. I bought a Costco elec kettle awhile back, but it takes 7 minutes to boil 1.75 litres. I've looked up "Wasserkocher" on Amazon, but there are so many different ones. I would love to have hot water in seconds; which Wasserkocher do you own?

lytha said...

Becky, most of the Amazon reviewers recommend the Italian Roast. I buy both and can barely taste the difference (cuz of my cream and sweetener, or that I'm just not that cultured).

Karen, I tested mine today at 1.75 liters and it took 5 minutes. Mine is a Quigg brand (!?) probably bought at Aldi. It is 1850-2200 watts, my husband told me to ask you to look at your wattage, that the volts don't matter as much. I may have exaggerated about "cup of coffee in seconds" but it's still way faster than a stovetop kettle.

Tina said...

I have a Keurig but I do not use the pods...the coffee in those don't taste right to me. I use their k-cup reusable coffee filter and my own coffee. So no waste with the throw away pods.

Karen B in so california said...

My electric kettle is a Hamilton Beach, 1,500 watts and 120 volts.