Tuesday, September 4, 2018

"Be perfect, Mag."

That's what my man said this morning to Mag as we said goodbye to go ride with Ani and Moni.

And besides the snacking (esp when I took out my camera!), he was perfect, under saddle.

On the way there, however, he spooked at three different vehicles - one bus, one tractor, and one gravel truck. The bus surprised me because it had just stopped next to us to pick someone up, and when it slowing started moving, Mag ran a circle around me. Barely moving busses facing him rarely scare him, wth (from behind him, moving fast, more likely). The tractor was the most traumatic, even though it was going so slow, we watched it approaching for a very long time, but as it passed, Mag ran another circle around me, his heart pounding out of his chest, his entire body trembling. Sometimes I think I need to live on a busier road.

But our ride was great.


     




The first thing I noticed was that Moni was not in a rush today. I was delighted that she is able to slow down and be a "normal Haflinger" as Ani put it.



     



And Mag was very forward today, he kept trying to pass her and lead the way, and she kept trying to sneak behind him and follow. Which is fine because she cannot kick him when he's up front.

I pondered whether Mag was feeling better today because *I* was? Cuz Saturday he wanted nothing to do with leading. Hm.


     

Mmm plastic.









6 comments:

TeresaA said...

Mag seems to be really enjoying his ride.

Shirley said...

Gotta love those "perfect" rides! So nice to be able to relax and enjoy the ride. Love the way he strides out.

lytha said...

Teresa, doesn't he! I love his enthusiasm - the exact opposite of Mara, and the reason she couldn't live here. The fact that he so often turns onto trails we'd never been on gives me hope that we'll be exploring everywhere someday, alone. I love how little spook he has, that was what I was hoping for when I bought him. Now what will I wear if it rains......

lytha said...

Shirley, perfect in quotes, exactly *lol*! I did actually relax, today, but when I dismounted my knees hurt, so I knew I was carrying tension there (pushing my heels down in a semblance of safety). I love the way he strides out too, a good walk is a great trait. As much as I loved my "Perfect Horse" Princess Buttercup, her walk was abysmal, I always opted to get off and lead her rather than ride at a walk. Hope Beamer is OK.

Kitty Bo said...

Mag is very beautiful. What a great ride!

HHmplace said...

Such pretty countryside, but always traffic noise? Mag seems to handle that just fine!