Sunday, August 26, 2018

Lately

Enjoying the last days of Summer break with my husband, every precious second with him!

Although school starts Wednesday, he's spending this Sunday night with his school's Cabaret group (they do political/musical sketches/satire,  twice a year, every year). And Monday and Tuesday giving exams to kids who wish to move up a grade. *shrug*

But this week has been about our little "house" ponds. I differentiate from the trout ponds down the hill that are in ruin thanks to the people renting them for fish who have done nothing with them, and we feel helpless...anyway.

We have a drought, the first time since I've lived here, and our little, decorative ponds by our house have  nearly dried up, so I used this drought to see if I could really get them empty of water and clean them out. Water is not the right word.. Thick black muck. And I *did*.....

Anyway, that's a story for the day when we're finished, and let me advise any home buyers, if the place comes with a pond of any type, pass it. Or dig up the pond and put in dirt. Ponds are trouble, nothing else.

What I really wanted to blog about tonight was Mag's tail.

I put it up for the first time since I showed Dressage in 1999. Up, up and away. Washed, braided, bagged, away. Just, please be clean for a few days, cuz I don't feel like washing it at the break of dawn Tuesday, my first ride on him since mid-July (*shiver*).

I did all 8 hooves again today, after doing all 8 last week. I'm not satisfied with how Seli does them, so I'm cracking down.

Watching the new pond fill with water as I worked, it was thrilling, then I couldn't take it any more, "J, come out here, get out of the shower, you have to see how the new pond is filling!"

Sorry, later.

Mag is out there with his tail in a bun (one of J's socks) for his first time. I'm sure to find either a broken T post or a broken tail in the morning. But Baasha handled it fine.

I'm exhausted. Ponds are NO GOOD! Do not be tempted.......a pond is never good.

The cat sat in the apple tree and laughed at us.

The donkey sat below the apple tree and begged, successfully.

Mag, "My tail feels odd"

Photo is from last Sunday, out of Angela's camera again (my last one). A less glamorous, but realistic view of Mag trotting behind me through the path to the pasture. Not bad.

No ponds. Never again.



     


4 comments:

Camryn said...

So understand the pond thing. Our last place had three!!! By the end of living there we'd reduced to one! My son had one, up until toddler Lincoln rolled downhill & into it. He now has zero ponds. I do miss the trickle, trickle, not the bugs, raccoons, nor the toad orgies each spring 🤢

AareneX said...

Out place had three mosquito hatcheries (I mean decorative ponds) when we moved in. They were GONE the first month, and good riddance.

Here's a thought about your icky pond: don't clean it and don't refill it with water. Instead, fill it with dirt (manure!) and put a tarp over it for winter. In spring, plant seeds in your new garden. That icky black stuff is excellent fertilizer, don't waste it!

TeresaA said...

WE have a pond but it is down in the woods and we don't have to do anything with it. I love the sounds of the peepers (frogs) in the spring.

EvenSong said...

I have a small (25X40 foot?) pond on my obstacle course, but it doesn't actually hold water for longer than a day or two. I fill it from my irrigation system when I have folks coming to ride. Biggest issue for me is not being able to mow around it efficiently, so the weeds tend to take over.