Friday, June 15, 2018

The Great Firewall of Europe

Have you noticed how the Internet got annoying in the last few weeks?

GDPR. *sigh*

Right now in Europe, our Internet resembles the Internet behind the Great Firewall of China.

I got a note from Blogger saying I have a blog and am located in the EU. That I must comply with GDPR, or get fined 20 million Euros.

I'm supposed to create a privacy policy and talk to you about cookies. I'm also obliged to tell you who I am.  Huh? Can I use the name "Lytha" or am I supposed to give up some privacy and give my real name?

I understand that GDPR has forced American companies to update their privacy policies, so you're likely informed and also noticing all the updated privacy policies.


Do you get these?

"Stop" pages on websites that force you to review privacy policies before proceeding to their site (Time, Fortune, well, almost every single site I try to visit). There are cookie warnings that pop up even after I accept their terms, that also block my access. 




Facebook forced me to go through a 20-page wizard clicking yes or no on how I feel about what data they collect. I assume that happened world-wide.

But even worse than all these extra steps to being able to just read an article, some companies cannot afford to comply with GDPR, and so they simply pulled the plug on Europe. I should feel bad, not annoyed, because Manitoba Coop could not afford to comply.



Note that the Firefox tab renamed to "European Union." Nice detail.

Although it would seem like the GDPR was designed to limit the 5 companies Europe loves to hate (Amazon, Apple, Facebook, Google, and Microsoft) - these companies can handle the regulations.  OTOH, small businesses sometimes have no legal team, no on-staff IT, and they will be damaged. Some have already gone out of business simply because of GDPR. So in effect, the big 5 are benefiting.

I know I sound cavalier about this, but I feel pretty safe. I have no smartphone, no OK Google/Alexa, use 2-factor verification, and Facebook doesn't even know my real name. I'm like the Galactica, when it survived the cylon attack simply because it was so old it was not networked. I am aware, though, that some of you reading this know my IP address.

I had to laugh (out loud) at this butcher shop's response to GDPR. I never, ever see humorous signs in Germany so this is special. Translation below.



GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation)
Attention! In our butcher shop, we sometimes ask your name and make note of which meat you prefer. If that is not acceptable to you, upon entering, call out, "I decline!" In the future we will act as though we don't recognize you.

If I lived near Salzburg, I'd go buy some meat from him.

GDPR annoys on a daily basis since the 25th of May. I'm sure I'll adapt, but for now, it sucks to have the government decide what I can and cannot see online.

I was annoyed today when I tried to look up the proposed total ban on plastic drinking straws, cuz getting to the articles I was blocked several times.

My first thought was "What will Starbucks do!" but I'm sure they will just change their manufacturing to another material. I own three bendy straws, and I wash them after every use, and I've had them for years. I wouldn't know where to buy straws so they're special.

Also, Q-tips will have to change their formula.

We live in a plastic-sack-free house, and all our bottles go back to the store for recycling. I just really like having clean ears and drinking iced beverages through straws. I hope they figure it out soon.








9 comments:

Dom said...

I was literally JUST trying to figure out how to check if my cookies are up to code when I saw your entry. I have no idea if my blog complies. However, I'm not too worried since I don't live in the EU and doubt they have jurisdiction over my posts...? I imagine that the worst case scenario would be that my blog becomes invisible in Europe? I do wonder if this is why my comment notifications have stopped working with my gmail though. *angry face*

lytha said...

Dom, I doubt they can enforce European law outside the EU: ) And from what I've read, it would never happen in America, because it would have to pass Congress, and it would be the FCC that would be in charge of enforcing it, and that's unlikely. Yah, I'd hate to lose your blog over here!

AareneX said...

Don't be so quick to assume that the FCC will protect freedoms under the current administration...but, so far, so good. Of course, I live in the People's Republic of Washington (State), the only place that independently enacted Net Neutrality when the federal protections went away.

Jim has a couple of straws that he uses and washes, but he uses plastic straws too (to keep the white beard and mustache from stains). I suppose there are always paper straws?

lytha said...

Aarene, yah, the FCC won't ride that pony: ) There will be dark green paper straws soon, if Starbucks has anything to say.: )

Shirley said...

Blogger tried that with me. I just ignored it. And life went on as normal.... imagine that....

lytha said...

Shirley, can you tell me what blockages you encountered? I'm curious about American and Canadian restrictions.

Camryn said...

I've been getting a lot of cookies things, as I try to read articles. I've found I can just ignore accepting and continue reading.
My issues blogging is every time I write, the go back to edit my mistakes or those spellcheck messes up, the entire post goes into outer space. Hence to blogposts for quite some time now.

TeresaA said...

So far I haven't noticed anything too onerous.

Achieve1dream said...

I was wondering about the changes. I'm really bad about ignoring pop ups and I don't even read them. I just click ignore. Oops!! I hope things get less annoying soon.