Monday, May 21, 2018

A picnic on Pentecost

Ani took me up on my very old offer to host a horsey picnic, finally! We realized it's now or never, the horseflies will be here soon....wrong, they arrived today. Those newly-hatched daft ones that don't really know how to hunt yet. (But drew blood on Mira.)

I love horsey picnics because it reminds me of camping with my horse. I had enough food for 5 people in Mag's saddle bags, and Ani brought apples, bananas, and a thermos of coffee.

     

Mira was not thrilled to be standing on a dam. She had this perplexed look in her eye and refused to nibble the hazelnut she was tied under.

To my disappointment, Mag was also very anxious about our picnic location. After all our practicing tying in the woods! See, the water is high on this side, and then, as with all dams, the other side (15 feet behind us) is way, way down there, with water rushing down the slope.

To my surprise, for the first time, Mag actually pulled back a little on his rope. Not in order to break anything, but to test whether he was actually tied fast to a fence on a dam. 



     

It's Pentecost, a national holiday, everyone was out in the woods today, and we were on the major crossing point over the watershed.

And on our way here, we came to a brand new gate with a big NO HORSES ALLOWED sign. *sigh* UNFAIR! This is a major connection spot for riders, and we're standing on a paved road, we can't get anywhere near the water! And as we pondered our new situation, several dogs arrived and went for a swim in our city's drinking water.

I was nervous that we'd get in trouble, because Germans love to enforce rules. About every 5 minutes groups of bikers would pass behind our horses rumps, or groups of hikers. And almost every time, they were polite and asked "May we pass?" Wow. I saw a lot of scared looks at having to bike directly behind two horses' rear ends.

One group of senior citizens came over, (aren't they too old to be walking up and down these hills?) and they seemed especially pleased. One old guy saw our picnic and said, "Guten Appetit! Are you sharing with the horses?" I smiled, "Of course we are!" I would have shared with him if he'd asked.

One mountain biker lady stopped and started filming us. Um, that's not cool. Later I thought of what I should have done - I should have picked up my camera and started filming her. Sheesh.

Mag started to get acclimated to the "autobahn" we were on, but he pooped FOUR times during our picnic. Ani said, "He's inwardly upset, even though he's outwardly calm."

Astute of her.



     

I brought mangoes! Also celery with peanut butter but as expected, Germans do not eat that.

We shared the apple, kiwi, banana, and grapes with the horses and at one point Mag nickered at me very assertively, and I think he was saying "Are you really leaving me tied up here on this dam!?"

I gave Ani a single serving bottle of champagne, and she drank it all. I did mine after my coffee. How nice to have hot coffee out there!

I brought those fancy cookies with shapes (?) and they melted together, and I'd put 4 chocolate bars in the freezer but they melted too by the time we were at the dam. Oh well! I need ice packs in my saddle bags. Hm....

     

I love this cantle pack because as full as I stuff it, it does not touch the horse at all, it stays up on the saddle. It's the English Snugpax, but fits both my Wintec and my SS. That is one piece of equipment I will not be trading in!



     

He kept his eye on me whatever I did. 4 times I had to kick his poop to the side (because we were on the main thoroughfare, and no horses allowed), and he was too nervous to move over when I asked him, hm. Mira stood like a statue the entire time, an unhappy statue. Even though both horses enjoyed mangoes for the first time.

I had to kick poop to the side so often I got to be an expert at cleaning my feet on the grass afterwards. It really wasn't the peaceful relaxing picnic I envisioned, but it will be better next time.

In August/September when the bugs allow it.

     

Mag, with the "car trunk" open: ) I think we should go back there again someday and try again, because now he knows he can survive an hour tied on a dam. To be honest the water was rushing directly underfoot, so I empathize with the horses' nervousness.

As  I was packing up my things, I noticed Mag's flanks were trembling. Huh? In 80 degrees F? Was he SO nervous? I untied him and hurried to pack, and as soon as we stepped off the dam, he peed. OK then. I guess he trembles when he needs to pee, like a human? Poor thing, I apologized, "Mag, someday I'll know you so well, we won't have these misunderstandings."


     

I confirmed that these new no horses allowed signs do in fact encircle the dam area. I'm hoping if we simply lead our horses, rather than ride, we won't catch too much flak. *shrug*



     

We said goodbye and I got up on Mag again and rode him up my favorite switchback toward home. At the top, I tied him and cleaned up my CMO plate that I'd left since November. He didn't care, didn't even watch me as I did that, but later fidgeted a bit when I went the other way. (Video below.)

Andrea rode by us on her huge black and white Tinker, and asked "Practicing?" I said yes and told her about the new trail block to horses down at the water. She's so nice, I wish I could ride with her sometime but I'm always too shy to ask, I don't really know her. Her Tinker Djuke is one of the most placid horses in town.



     

He's listening to Djuke move off into the distance. Djuke lives across the street from us.

I know Mag was thirsty cuz he was staring at every dried up dark puddle spot on the road, so I gave him my water bottle and he did that thing again where he closes his lips and actually drinks from it. Awesome.

When I took off his saddle I was amazed to see a perfect sweat pattern, both sides, and symmetrical. I was worried my saddle needed to be refit but apparently not.



1 comment:

AareneX said...

Too bad about trail restrictions--and on a busy day there's no way to get away with stuff!

Peanut butter, mmm. Now I'm hungry. Also: mango!