Wednesday, March 7, 2018

When 10C feels like 20C

This weekend the weather broke. The first thing I noticed was the smell. It stinks around here. Not only from the cow manure that was spread in January, but probably some rodents have died and they are finally getting the chance to decompose. It also smells like an off-balance compost pile.

As the snow subsides - more slowly at our place cuz our property faces north - what lies underneath isn't pretty. Everything is brown, not a hint of green yet. As the sun shone down I made my way to my pasture which I haven't visited for 6 weeks. I spent an hour spreading poop with my rake, and was amazed at how easy it was to walk around, because only the top couple centimeters are defrosted - it's still a hard frost down beneath the mud. Hoofpuddles are still full of ice, but Mag has been able to coat himself in mud for the first time in ages.





But then it got warm enough to snow again, and we got another couple inches to provide a soft padding and Mag went crazy. I removed his blanket and he hurried to the paddock and very carefully rolled 3 times each side, careful to not roll down the hill, and a couple times he got up from the ground and reared straight up in the air.





He "attacked" the donkey with more ferocity than every before - in his anxiousness to go to the pasture with her, he started jumping up in the air behind her, and striking out with his forelegs next to her. All done with a playful expression, "Let's GO!" She made her way out there and he soaked himself rolling in the snow. He made me laugh out loud at his silliness.

I had to remove my fleece jacket as I worked out there, I was sweating. I took a break in my plastic garden chair, and when I got up, I'd steamed the back of the chair. How can 10 degrees feel like Summer? (10 is 50F) A tshirt is adequate. It's so nice to take a deep breath out there and not feel a stab of pain.

Ani texted me that she'll check the status of her riding ring, but I imagine it's still frozen because it also faces north. If I'm feeling brave I'll take Mag for a walk to the mailbox today. More than ever I wish I didn't have to take my horse out into traffic to get anywhere with him.

I was finally able to wash the salt off my car - it's red again.

And I saw something strange and new as I looked out my window. It was a puddle of fluid water!

6 comments:

TeresaA said...

It's funny how when spring starts to come it feels so warm!

Sara said...

It is always surprising how 50F/10C can feel so warm in February yet freezing in September.

Shirley said...

Would have loved to see a video of Mags hurrying along the donkey!
Hang in there, spring is a-coming!

lytha said...

Teresa, I know where you live, I think it's the exact same here.

Sara, hey girl, turn your calendar page: )))) We have March!

Shirley, nothing as good as Beamer and Gussie and beloved Belle. How is it that she is so athletic after all that time?

AareneX said...

It's FINALLY warm(ish) and not pouring rain here--45*F (7*C)! Of course, the rain will come back. But I got to ride two days this weekend, after 3 weeks stuck at home. I could have trailered over to Fish Creek when the sn*w finally cleared, but meh. Everybody there is practicing for the schooling show, and I'm only happy on REAL trails!

Glad your grey horse finally got to roll properly again, lol.

ellie k said...

Maybe Mag wants to be a brown horse or was a brown horse in his last life.:)