Monday, February 26, 2018

The continuing mission to find the perfect riding rain coat

I contacted Muddy Creek this week with suggestions about how to improve their riding rain coat which I love except for all the things I dislike. They wrote me back immediately to say they have improved a few things, but sadly not the things that bothered me, oh well. I told them to make the improvements and charge more money, I'd be happy to pay up to 200$ for such a nice shell.

My criteria make shopping really rough. I want mid-thigh length to cover my butt, so it must be designed for riding, with slits* for expansion in the saddle and a 2 way zipper. I want the best waterproofing available but so far no brand's lasts more than 1 year (unless you go for oilskin which is too heavy for me). I want a waist drawstring, lots of pockets, and I want some sort of reflector for safety. No lining, if it's freezing out, I layer. Armpit vents would be wonderful. Colors other than black would be nice to hide dirt. (*- Slits should have extra material that unfolds when seated, you'd be surprised how many equestrian jackets have slits that open up to expose your front and your rear to the rain!)


Then I found this today, shown below. I love it, it reminds me of my gothic youth. And the cape is just what I need for extra rain shedding. However, why is the front so high? Why would I want my belly getting rained on? (If you click the link they'll show some front views where the models' front parts are definitely going to get rained on.)


     


 
I don't understand the purpose of the sleeve ties, but I love the look of them. Funnily the website has a warning to not ride in the woods with the strings facing forward or you'll get caught up on trees.


     

Love this design! And so many colors, and armpit zips....
 
Smartpak carries the fabulous Asmar coat, a 3/4 length for $$$ that takes saddle coverage seriously, at the cost of not being flattering. It's a jacket with a skirt inside. When it doesn't look good on the model, it's not going to look good on me. Funnily one of the reviews said the same thing - the saddle skirt layer inside bunches up and looks bad. Also, it's called All Weather but it's not waterproof, so IMO, wrongly named.

Here I am in my old faithful Muddy Creek, reflective stripe doing its job:



12 comments:

Shirley said...

I like the oilskin ones but they are heavy. Here is a similar light weight one: http://www.kixnbux.com/kixnbuxcoat.aspx You can click on their gallery tab to see photos of riders wearing it. It's on my wish list! It is western looking so may not suit what you like.

lytha said...

Shirley, a friend pointed me to nearly that exact coat today, but I'm not looking for a full length. I like that they are making that style in lightweight fabric finally: )

Sara said...

Good luck in your search. I adore my kerrits coat. It has everything you want except it is full length. I hope you find one in the length you want. Have you looked into the newly popular riding skirts? You could pair it with a regular rain coat and have full coverage.

lytha said...

Sara, when I see those riding skirts I think to myself, "This is why women started wearing pants! So they could ride horses more easily!!!": )

AareneX said...

Those Kerrits coats have skinny skinny arms, gahhhhh. C'mon people: we lift hay bales!

You know, Joyce Kellenberger would make what you want. I love the coats she built me--I have 2!

lytha said...

Aarene, my first hay bale bag was constructed by Joyce. It was purple and 100% waterproof, and held the biggest American bales (like 2-3 German ones).

She also made my friend Larry half chaps to match his appy horse Spot. Silly, yes.

I think Joyce works with heavy fabric, doesn't she? I prefer light.

AareneX said...

The coats she made me are VERY lightweight. The cheaper fabric (less expensive, but still good quality gortex) is heavier. The purple fabric of my two raincoats is gossamer. She put in pit zips and custom-built the top pockets to fit my camera and phone.

She can make black in either weight--and she can do color panel inserts to brighten it up. I suggest that just a few splashes of bright blue would look fabulous on Mag.

My coat is not-so-long-that-I-trip-on-it! I supplied the measurement for the length between my collar and just below my knee, but she can make it whatever length you want.

lytha said...

Aarene, was your coat more than 200$? Is it flattering for full figures? That's what I love about the Muddy Creek that you recommended - I look flat chested in it, and it disguises my thick waistline.

You think blue would look good on Mag? Can you back that up with evidence - show me photos of grey horses looking good in blue? *lol* ....Just so ya know, my entire garden is outfitted in blue. My lawn chairs, my planters, my watering cans, I seem to be obsessed with shades of blue in my yard. There might be a psychological disorder associated with that.


Unknown said...

Oh Lytha,

It's like you were reading all our minds back here in the muddy wet east coast! THIS! This has been on my mind for the past two weeks - what kind of jacket will keep me dry in this abysmal weather!? (And still looks good).

I have been looking for something "duster-esk" for nearly a month. Drat that I have to order all the way Europe, but it is a legit consideration).

You nailed all the things I keep trying to find in a coat.
1. slits
2. 2-way zipper
3. formidable waterproofing
4. Multi colors - any neutral tones are fine, but I like to be seen when riding in the woods so hunters don't question what I am.
5. Well made - by this I mean stitching, materials, etc. can hold up against a beating also known "Weather in West Virginia".
6. POCKETS - I must have pockets even my wedding dress had pockets


BONUSES YOU MENTIONED
1. Reflective - totally a good thought
2. Armpit zips - all my ski jackets have these and they're delightful
3. BIG DETACHABLE HOOD - you didn't mention this, however, I have a Burton Men's snowboard jacket I ride in now. It meets most of the criteria here (about the same price point) but I can get my helmet in the hood which is nice in the rain.

That said, this just looks like a better fit. My current coat is BAGGY! And I'd love something that feels good. I noticed when wearing proper riding gear (or things that work like proper riding gear) I just feel better in the saddle.

THANK YOU FOR SHARING and I'll let you know if I end up with something new!

Sirje said...

It's not made specifically for riding, but the raingear from Danish company SAMSØE & SAMSØE are amaaaaaazing. Affordable, stylish, and absolutely NO RAIN gets in. Ever. They are roomy and lightweight enough to layer with bulky fleece or wool, easy to keep clean, big pockets, and can be worn alone without the gummy raingear feeling. Breatheable slits in all the right places. I love love love my raincoat from them. They have an online store, I just peeked at it and I think their two current main styles of raincoat for ladies are called Stala and Haze. There is also a poncho, not sure what that's called.

lytha said...

Sirje, those are very nice and meet most of my criteria, but I don't think they are intended for riding horses - there are no panels that open up to allow saddle coverage. Also I like a hidden drawstring waist rather than a trench-style belt. I know, I'm really picky.

Sirje said...

Nope, they are definitely not made for riding horses, like I said. But they are very good at repelling rain totally, are roomy, and I've often thought I would wear one riding if I had a horse right now. They're also priced really well, so having one adjusted the way you like it wouldn't be a crazy expense. A good tailor would be able to easily cut panels and add a drawstring inside. (The ones I saw in the store didn't have any belts.)