Saturday, November 11, 2017

Mudbeeta

Twice this fall I've taken scissors to Mag's mane after failing to remove hard dried mud clumps. Screw that.

I headed to the new tack store Saturday and placed an order for the matching neckpiece to the new blanket I had bought there. The day after I sold my last Horseware Ireland Bravo blanket plus its neckpiece.

As expected, the thing was massive. It looked to be FOUR times the size of the Horseware one, and it was the smallest size they sell, Cob. What to do.

I put it on and indeed, it covered Mag's ears. Mag does not have a short neck. Weatherbeeta seems to exist in an alternate reality where Cob means TB and TB means Warmblood.

So I folded the thing back and sewed it so Mag can use his ears. (Although in a snowstorm I bet it's nice to have covered ears.)

I had washed Mag's mane with hot water and spray and wash, then Quicsilver, and it was white again. And white it shall stay, this Winter, cuz I'm done with the daily mud bath leaving balls of mud resembling Christmas tree ornaments, with the entirety of his mane a yellow-brown color.

It's raining again and my horse is both clean and warm.

Best regards to those who believe a healthy horse is a filthy horse. (Recently I read a website of a trainer who says dirt is healthy for a horse, better not to even brush it off! I assume he doesn't ride his horses.) Even if Mag injures himself and cannot be ridden, I'd have to blanket him, cuz he really suffers in the cold.

     






     






     


3 comments:

AareneX said...

Remember what John Lyons answered when a bystander berated him for roaching his horse's mane. "It's not correct for a Western horse, and not correct for an Appaloosa. Why did you cut it?'

"Because he's MY horse," was the answer.

IOW, if you want to wash your pony and keep him clean under a blanket, an' it harm none, you just go, girl.


Now, please excuse me as I must go feed my BROWN horse! Lol

lytha said...

Aarene, Hey! I attended a John Lyons clinic in Renton Washington at the Aqua Barn off 169 and 405. He was AWESOME. His appy stallion Zip was loose, running around during the clinic, but connected to him, it blew my mind. The stallion was fooling around, and he'd say, "Go over there, Zip." and the horse would canter off happily, they had some sort of mystical connection, where the horse understood his every word and gesture. I loved, of course, that we had to pray together before lunch. He asked God's blessing on his instruction, wanting it to be God's way.

I'm not joking, this was reality in 1990.

Sadly Aqua Barn is gone now. I am so glad I was there. Everytime I see one of those "Lifetime" gates, I think of the fiery Appy stallion Zip crashing into it, and John Lyons chuckling. He loved that horse.

AareneX said...

Zip was a helluva person, for sure!