Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Bad dog, gravel truck also no good

Yesterday I had an awful ride with Seli. The moment I got on Mag's back, he was anxious and he felt like he was coursing with electricity. Not a nice feeling. I got off and led him a ways, then got back on, and he never could calm down, even on a single track following Momo, he was slipping around in the mud and trying to squeeze around Momo because the dog was waaaaaay out in a big field, and Mag couldn't stand it.

It's the dog! I think.

The entire time we're out with Seli, Mag is keeping track of the dog. He's obsessed with our wild and free companion, who tears through the woods at random.

At one point the dog took off after a deer and he was just gone! We stood there I don't know, nearly 10 minutes, calling, whistling, and waiting for the dog to come back. (I was on foot.) I really wonder how far he went, cuz he was going at full speed. At the time, it was kind of annoying, but now that I think about it, the dog must be the reason Mag couldn't be calm yesterday.

I want Mag to learn about dogs, so I wouldn't ask Seli to leave the dog home (also she wouldn't). I just wish her dog would stay WITH us, ya know?

***

Today Mag was very sleepy, dragging behind me on Hohestrasse as I tried to meet Ani on time.

Until a semi went by at 100kph and Mag ran around me in a circle, in a panic. WTH!? Mag's not scared of vehicles, ever.

Not 2 minutes later I heard what I thought was a bus approaching from behind. I didn't even turn around to check.

Suddenly Mag ran right into me, knocking me to the side, and he just kept going, bolting forward. I felt the rope sliding through my hands as I spun around. I foresaw my horse tearing down the fast street without me, but then I was able to stop him (no idea how). I yelled MAG!

Freakshow, what is your problem? It was a gravel truck, no big deal.

I was pissed off, "You don't RUN PEOPLE OVER!" backing him up, as if that would help.

Suddenly the blast shield windows flew open and a lady opened her window and asked, "Did I scare your horse?" I said, "No, well, a little, but it was the truck." To be honest those windows make me jump every time someone opens them as I pass by, they're loud. Funnily, German horses never seem to flinch at these windows.

A bus went by, nothing. I can only imagine the scowl on my face when I met Ani and she hugged me. I said, "I'm just about done with this horse!" Is it too much to ask to just enjoy a ride?

I need to add here that I've been told by a couple people that you're in danger of being run over when you lead a horse like I do, with the horse following me at the end of the rope. I insist that I'm safer out there in front. I swear I'd have been trampled more often if I'd been close in to my horse, and on the side. He has run into me twice in two years.

But against all expectations, Mag was just fine today, to ride. No electricity at all, just relaxed, curious, and obedient.

He even did that thing where he looks down side trails curiously, asking "This way today?" but we stuck to the loop. Mira was in the lead most of the time, but I did get Mag up front a while, and directly beside when possible. They bicker with each other, Mira tips her ears back, "Not so close, youngster" and then he'll tip his ears back in response, "I wasn't doin' nothin'!" But he was thinking it, she knows. He wants to take a bite out of her so badly.

I was so pleased as Mag descended the steepest hill, slowly and carefully, one hoof at a time, straight line down. Wow. 6 months ago he couldn't do it.

I asked Ani if she'd be so kind to do a little standing still session at a wide intersection. We both asked our horses to halt, side by side, and I said to Ani, "I'm counting."

11! I shouted as Mira began to walk off. I laughed, "Your horse made it to eleven seconds!" (Schadenfreude, lol). She said, "MIRA!" in frustration and said, "Your horse can stand still better than mine!" I said, "Well, today perhaps!" I gave Mag a treat and patted his neck. Of course, we've worked on stopping for a treat quite a bit, so I expect him to at least be able to do that. Now I just need Ani to accept the challenge and we can start practicing regularly together. She seems agreeable to it, but I'm not sure if she'll follow through. Cuz it's not easy. I understand people not caring to teach this skill, if they don't need the skill. I told her cookies help.

Mag drank from the world's tiniest puddle a very long time, took a break, and then drank some more. He's the drinkingest horse I know. He got a lot of good boys and strokes on the neck from me today.

Cookies all around for both the black and the white horse, and then we made our way home.

But not before that same gravel truck went by again. This time I saw it, stopped and waited for it. He roared by and Mag just stood there.



4 comments:

TeresaA said...

Ah horses. My theory is that if they are already jazzed (for whatever reason) then things that would not bother them before now do.

Kitty Bo said...

Arabians can be so friggin' aware of things running free. One day you are writing for sale ads in your head, and the next day you think, "No way I'd part with this horse."

AareneX said...

I'm gonna ask this and then back away:

Is *MAG* freaked out about the dog? Or is *lytha* worrying about it?

:-)

lytha said...

Aarene, good question. I enjoyed having the dog there until this week when I realized Mag is letting the dog's behavior affect his. The other 4 times I've ridden out with the dog, Mag wasn't accustomed to dogs and was curious, watching. Now he's gone to obsessed, rushing to *catch* the dog. He's not afraid-- I noted the difference because the first time I ever rode Mara with a dog, that was the last time. She could not handle it.