Thursday, October 19, 2017

Seli and Momo come back to us

I've been a little frustrated that Seli hasn't contacted me to go riding, the three (?) times we did this Summer was always at my request. Then it got too hot for me, and she was busy with two jobs.

This month she quit her day job and became a full time hoof practitioner. She's only 26 and is totally on fire for this new way of life. It's wonderful, and I hope she can enjoy it, cuz I know how hard it can be.

She showed up looking like a chimney sweep in all black, with black work pants. I said, "Wanna get on the roof and check the chimney?"

She commented that I'm only wearing a tshirt but I told her "I'm finally not too hot!"

She trimmed Mag's hooves for the first time. She had her dog with her, loose as always, and I was worried about my cat but she said he's afraid of cats. Hm.

She laid a blanket down on the other side of Mag for the dog, but he didn't want to be that far away from her, so he sat there shivering, as close as he could get. Mag was amazed, we've never had a dog visit the paddock. I warned her the donkey will attack a dog on her land. Mag was very curious about it, but his stomach was full of his morning bucket so he eventually fell asleep.

Actually twice I had to wake him up, because I thought he might collapse on her, that's how sleepy he was.

But talk about behaving for the farrier! The worst thing he did today was stretch his hind legs behind him as she asked for them, doing those full body stretches.

She spent an entire hour on Mag's feet! That is something I vaguely recall from the past. She meticulously scraped at every portion of his foot before she even went for a rasp.

She does not do Mustang Rolls, but instead rasps the lower wall, blending in a similar way, she said she wants to avoid that edge that a Mustang Roll puts. I have no idea why that would be bad, if it's based on the healthiest feet on earth, the way they naturally roll their toes by movement, but I must say, Mag has gorgeous hooves right now. He could be a hoof model. His administrative assistant will take your call at 02193 - 533 426. He prefers modelling session to include a donkey.

Then we tested her work - we went for a ride. She drove to her barn--only 10 minutes from here!--and came back with her one-eyed Haflinger Momo. It was so nice being able to tack up, and then drink a cup of tea as I waited for my fellow rider to arrive. Usually I have to trudge 30 minutes to a halfway point.

It was also nice cuz she's way more laid back about her animals than most, she let Momo sniff and put his lips all over Mag and I just stood back, not sure if Mag would strike or bite. But Mag let the Autumn-colored horse mouth all over his face. So cute! Mag even tailgated and I know he nibbled on Momo's enormous butt a few times, but Momo is obviously a babysitter. How nice!

Mag is not accustomed to going out with a loose dog, and it always makes me nervous (thanks to Mara). But Mag figured it out, that the dog was off hunting in the woods, and then would pop out in front or behind us, continually. Mag was in the lead for most of the day today.

At one point the dog was leading the group, trotting happily ahead, and Mag's ears pricked up and he stared at the dog with intense curiosity as he seemed to realize he was no longer leading the group. Mag wanted to follow the dog. Or slow down and wait for the dog. The dog was in our team, and would not be marginalized!!!

That dog is really fearful, probably dangerously so, and when Seli asked, I told her I'm not going to put myself in a position to get bitten by her dog, cuz I know it will bite me.

Up  "canter hill" Seli asked if I'd been trotting, if I'd like to. I said, "Yes, absolutely, but last time he bucked, so please be careful, I don't want him kicking your horse!"

We trotted away but when I was done, Mag was not, and I found I had no brakes. How odd, since he slams to a stop when I exhale most of the time.

Finally I got him stopped, and then I wanted to trot again to see if I could find the brakes this time.

Both times we trotted, Seli said, "Look at how he moves! His hooves, he hardly hits the ground! He doesn't HIT the ground at all!"

I said, "Honestly I have no idea, I'm unable to see that from here."

But if you're used to a Haflinger with size 3 hooves...I suppose an Arabian, even a hefty one like Mag, can seem to skim the ground.

This time I was able to bring Mag back to a walk again normally, whew.

The woods smell so sweet right now, because we've had 5 days of sunshine and no rain, and I think the walnuts and acorns and apples are baking in the trees. (I pondered tonight in my field, could there be housewives all around the area, baking right now with apples and nuts?)

You'd think with 5 days of no rain, the hay farmer would have been able to bale and remove our hay yesterday, but no.

It's so pathetic, he parked the hay trailer in the middle of our pasture, where we have a spring, that runs water. Then loaded it up with round bales, and then tried to leave. He messed up our pasture. (I'm tempted to think, You Had One Job.)

He had to remove half the load, leave, and then return to fetch the rest.

I have never seen my field so messed up, because the tractor cut huge trenches (tank traps?) in the land, it might not even be possible to drive over them next year.

Seli said, "I saw your pasture from the other side of the valley (where she boards), I see now how you have the grazing strips arranged. You can see it well up there on the other side. Your pasture is so great."

I said, "Before yesterday, it was."

I know the grass will come back, but my pasture will probably never lose those deep cuts.

Mag doesn't care.

It's his first Winter on our pasture, the entire 6 months.

And he's enjoying it like you'd expect a young horse to - he's racing as fast as he can across the entire 5 acres, stopping, snorting, and doing it again. I wish I'd had my camera today, the low sun on his back, the multi-colored trees in the background.

"LOOK HOW FAST I CAN RUN" 

I loved how he galloped to me three times today, as I worked, removing the grazing strips (temporary fences). He seemed to be saying, "I can finally run as fast as I can!"

And then I attached some silver reflective tape to the corner T post of the upper strip, cuz I would hate for him to barrel into it.

Mag has 4 new wounds this week - two above each eye. It's amazing he still has eyes. Seli even noticed, and remarked at what a baby he is.

Oh, I should say, Seli is the farrier of Ani (Mira). She doesn't seem to know her very well, but said that this week she trimmed Mira and Mira had an abscess in each hoof! Interesting cuz we'd ridden last week and she was fine, and we'll ride tomorrow.

I wish I had my camera today as Mag tracked me around my pasture as  I worked, and ran full tilt...

I only have those from last year.

But this year, he stays here!














Just 30 minutes ago he did this, with his ears pinned back with the effort: )






He even got the donkey going today. But she mostly annoyed me begging for treats.






Go, Mag, you've got 6 months of this total freedom!

6 comments:

Kitty Bo said...

It is so wonderful watching an Arabian run around a pasture, tail up,head tossing, neck arch.

TeresaA said...

Too bad about the cuts. If you put some soil in there and/or go out after a few rains you can probably fix it.

AareneX said...

Yay for good behavior, yay for galloping around, and yay for a friend to ride with!

I'm not sure that a mustang hoof is the "healthiest in the world." I know that barefoot enthusiasts often say that. But I know that veterinarians working with gathered Western range mustangs see a lot of abscesses and stuff. Also, mustang feet in wet ground (Chincoteague/Assateague Islands, for example) don't look anything like Wyoming mustang feet--for obvious reasons. Just some thoughts.

Mrs Shoes said...

Such lovely photos. My Morgan Horses are often mistaken for Arabs; that running tail up & flagging is something I also see on the daily.

lytha said...

KB, I'll try to remember my camera next time I go out there. I'm teaching them to come running to me when I call from the opposite side of the field. So far it works!

Teresa, I think the tractor will drag our field before Spring, and hopefully he can squash down the worst of it. Would be a cool project for me if we owned a tractor!

Aarene, I've seen those wild horse hoof comparison photos, the wetland horses' hooves are crap.

Mrs. Shoes, no surprise to you, probably, that Morgans are my second favorite breed. Oh, and Morgans are extremely hard to find in Germany (I've never seen one), and priced accordingly $$$$$$$$$

AareneX said...

Sigh, you're right: wetlands are bad for horse feet.

I remember that EasyCare (Easyboots) was working with Disney World in Orlando to boot all their horses (mostly drafts, almost all carriage/cart horses, but a few light saddle horses too). I found a blog post about it dated 2010. And then...crickets. I wonder what happened? I remember thinking at the time, "ooooh, draft horses with swamp feet" and also "who would want to boot/unboot all those horses EVERY DAY in addition to all the other stuff required by horses who are on display every day that they work." A normal person might skip combing the mane and tail and brushing the faces, but you can bet it doesn't happen on Disney's dime. Hmmm.