Thursday, September 28, 2017

Mag videos and photos from today

When I got done washing Mag's mane, I realized it is completely white now. Oh well.

I'd had him blanketed overnight, of course, cuz he has no Winter coat yet. But during the day it's too warm so I planned some photos for the moment I took it off and led him to a new strip of grass.

He always knows when I'm taking them to new grass because I look at him and say, "Mag?" and turn around and start walking. He gets all excited but stays with me...

Politely walking behind me....






Until he gets to the pasture and zoom, "I'm too cool for school!"










Then he waited at the gate for me...









And then finally I released him to the grass and he managed to find mud even though it has not rained in days. (I hate that I have another grey horse, but they sure do look angelic when clean. He's almost glowing!)




Not glowing at all.







Baasha's mane stayed dark his entire life. Note the new sores on Mag's legs, and he has four new cuts on his forehead. Also - no mud up to his ankles, for the first time since May.



Something set him off galloping around and he slammed into our metal gate full speed, ugh. I think he'd just noticed that the cornfield was missing.

It was SO COOL! I heard tractors closeby and knew it was harvest time. I saw four HUGE trailers pulled by huge tractors, and a cutter-tractor which filled them all up with corn powder. I say powder but it's not that fine - a machine grinds the entire corn plant into tiny chips and sprays the chips from a long overhead arm into the various trailers until they are all full, and then they go to the cow farms and dump it in a huge pile which is covered with plastic and ferments, and feeds cattle all Winter.

I find it fascinating to live out here where animal food is made. Hay and Corn silo, on all sides of us. And no irrigation necessary, cuz it's so (bloody) wet all Summer long. These farmers have it good (unless they really want to make actual Hay, and then they really do need a few dry days in Summer. Good luck with that. HATE MUD, but LOVE GOD's IRRIGATION for this industry.




It's the best time of year for the animals - our trees are full of apples (store-quality, really good, I cut them up every day for my husband to snack on), there are very few bugs, no horseflies, no sweltering humidity....I actually sit down in my chairs out there in the pasture and can enjoy the view comfortably. I think I prefer Fall to Spring now, because Winters haven't been nearly as bad as Summers lately.

5 comments:

AareneX said...

Oh, yes: the reason I like having a horse the color of MUD! lol

My colleague saw me watching the beginning of the video and said "look how shiny and white that horse is..." and right at that moment on the screen, Mag dropped down and rolled.

Of course.

Kitty Bo said...

But he's still beautiful.

The Kelly's Adventures in KY said...

As having a fellow grey horse I can totally relate to them needing to get the clean off! He sure is a pretty fella. I love how Bellis just nonchalantly walks on out to the new field. Glad to read you had a good time at the show meeting the Polish horses. Mag's niece is gorgeous!! So loving looking.

TeresaA said...

It is the best time of year here too- fresh and clear and the bugs are going away.

ellie k said...

Mag sure is a beautiful horse and so white to start the day. The sun must make home look almost glossy.
That corn the farmers are cutting is call silage and the cows do love that fermented taste. There is a lot of it made In the states.