Wednesday, August 9, 2017

14 KM with Ani

Today I brought the Garmin because I wanted to see how far we'd ridden last time I was on her side. Unfortunately Ani didn't feel like going as far today, oh well.

We did 14 KM, which is around 9 miles, in 3.5 hours. That's 4KPH, or 2.5MPH. This is incredibly slow. I can walk faster than that, *lol*

Mira is old, and Ani takes care of her, so Mag has to go her speed. Unless we pass her, and he starts going faster and faster and faster until she's waaaaaay behind us and we have to wait for her. I let him go his natural walking speed from time to time to reward him for his patience.

Mag was more relaxed than usual today, so I actually rode him on the way to meet her, on that trail he hates. It was fine but unbelievably we ran into that lady again who HIDES from us, and she was doing it again! Hiding completely out of sight, with her dog, until we were close and she called out, "I'm standing here!" I jumped off Mag and he was pretty surprised when she was suddenly there. *shakes head*

I promised Mag there would be no horseflies today, and I kept my promise. The season is wrapping up and it was very cool this morning. It was my first ride without horse flies driving him crazy in ages.

As Ani and I rode along today, I realized I was having fun, I wasn't worried even though I didn't know where we were, and I rode one handed on the buckle most of the day. What an incredible feeling, it's like my trust took a step forward today. We also did a couple bridges and two water crossings.

Mag kept turning off the trail and heading into the unknown, it's so funny. I know he's just curious and it makes me happy because if he wasn't enjoying himself, he wouldn't do it. He got lots of cookies today.

The trails were muddy and tricky and both horses were extremely careful, it was good for Mag because I kept having to duck under tree branches, or lean way back almost on his butt, and he didn't lose his balance despite all that. Improvement!

I took a video of Mag taking the lead and marching up a hill in an unfamiliar area. He was so happy, flowing along. When Ani caught up, she said, "Your horse is very fast!" and as soon as we started going again, Mag was somehow overwhelmed with the urge to GO and he started almost jigging. He did not want to wait for Ani again. Ani said, "I'll go first" and I had to laugh because Mag gave up, forced to go her slow walk again.



Ani and I spoke 50% English today because she wants to practice, but I have to enunciate (like I'm speaking British English) and use smaller words, if I want to be understood.


We really bonded last week talking about our Christian belief, and I could sense the difference with her today. She's just more relaxed around me and a little more talkative.

My new saddle packs are way more pack than I need, I had so many things along with me today and there was still room for a kitchen sink. But zippers that work, what a luxury!

There was a house with a Tupperware dish out by the street, clearly for dogs. Mag went right up to it and drank and drank, how cute. He's a good drinker.



Oh! Water!



Don't mind if I do. Actually this is the second time today he drank out of the Tupperware - on the way out he did too. This time I was ready with the camera.

There was a Welsh pony yearling that Mag fell in love with, and she clapped her mouth at him as they met each other. Then he lost his mind and didn't want to leave her! He never falls for other horses like that. She looked like an Arabian more than any other Welsh I'd seen. If he hadn't been so worked up about her, I'd have tried to get a photo. This is what she looked like:




We parted ways and as I led Mag down to the dreaded trail, something spooked him and he jumped forward two strides, and then kicked out with his right hind, kicking a tree. This is not his most special hind leg - it was the other one, which I've seen him suddenly kick out with as well. He definitely still has a weird kicking out reflex when he's scared. I can sack him out and he's fine, it's only when something startles him.




This house has a horse living in it, and adjacent. I want this! I wonder if they have a doorway to get to the horse without going outside!









Star Island the Standardbred. SO BIG.




Ibn the Arab. I don't feel sorry for them being locked up - this time of day horses prefer to be indoors to escape the bugs. They're probably on nighttime turnout.

Then I got on Mag and rode him the rest of the way home, including on our street. It felt sooooo good to ride up that last hill. Usually I'm dragging by then. I rode him right into our driveway and gave him more cookies.

We're getting there: ) Just verrrrry slowly.

10 comments:

Kitty Bo said...

I love this, so great! His ears in that video are so happy about GOING! And yes, a zipper that works is like a pasture gate that opens and closes without dragging the ground--something you never cease to appreciate!

AareneX said...

Nothing wrong with slow. In fact, everything about slow is good!

I don't think you'll be able to call Mag a "green" horse much longer. He's learning so much.


<3 Star Island.

lytha said...

KB, so funny about the gate, cuz I hate dragging gates, and see them all the time. We had professionals install our two metal gates and they are hung from galvanized steel posts in concrete, so we don't expect them to sag. However, Mag does like to hang his head on one of them, and it has to be adjusted from time to time (the screws that attach to the post).

Aarene, I was especially happy that Mag didn't throw a tantrum about being forced to follow and slow down again after his brief taste of "speed." When I ride with S1 and her Arab Bintu, their walk speed matches and it's soooo nice to just let him walk as he wishes. But I have to credit Ani's mare for teaching Mag to go slow down hills and actually use his body instead of flopping.

And Friday, 2 days from now, I'm going on a very long ride with S1 to another watershed, that is a two hour walk from my house, and with 2 hours walking to get back, including our ride at the watershed, I plan on trying to ride a lot more than walk, even on streets, if I feel safe. It's been a goal of mine to ride this other watershed, cuz once you get there, there are no streets or buildings, just watershed. 2 days, so excited/nervous!

Kitty Bo said...

And we are excited for you!

AareneX said...

Friday: two hours walking. How long if you TROT some of it? :-)

kbryan said...

Those ears are telling a great story!

TeresaA said...

I'm with AareneX- can you trot some

lytha said...

Aarene, Teressa, unfortunately most of the way is city streets: ( We'll do it if we ever get out of traffic.

Zoe said...

Well done both of you xx

Unknown said...

Ha! This is great! Love the video. Jean-Luc is picking up his gait and I wonder how often we'll be waiting for our QH friends on the trail now?

As for the horse in the house, I can't quite imagine, but I feel those are some really lucky people. What an amazingly dreamy life you're living!