Monday, July 3, 2017

3rd ride with Ani

Something was off today, not sure what, but it wasn't one of the enjoyable rides I've had lately.

When I mounted, I reached down to give Mag a treat, and as usual, he lost his balance reaching around to get it and for a moment I thought he was falling down. Ani laughed because she saw it. It's frustrating that Mag seems to forget how to stay upright by moving his head around. I don't dare let him walk along the cliff sides of trails, he might tip right off the edge.

Mira (I've been saying her mare's name wrong!) was very forward today, and I didn't have to continually slow Mag down. Mira also spooked twice, something I'd never seen before.

Mag kept getting bitten by horseflies on his face, and suddenly throwing his head between his knees to rub them off, startling me. He was tossing his head so much he almost flipped a rein over his head. I don't want to have to use a martingale just to keep his reins on the correct sides of his head. At one point he got the rein stuck in his mouth as he bit at flies.

I took Ani to my former picnic place and she checked it out. I tried to get Mag to stand still and that wasn't happening, even though Mira wasn't going anywhere. He would slide to the left, slide to the right, start backing up, and I got pissed and yelled at him to quit. Ani said she'd help me work on standing still because her horse won't do it either.

When I finally got Mag stopped for a few seconds, I praised him and turned him around to leave, and he saw a pair of swans on the water. From his reaction I doubt he'd seen swans before. He just stood there like a statue. I shook my head, "Oh NOW he stands still, and not because I'm asking!"

On the positive side, he was able to go down hills better today, without rushing. Also his hooves seem to be fine, barefoot in back on those rocks, Ani's mare was constantly off the trail trying to protect her feet, and she commented that the rocks don't bother Mag. I said, "Oh, he'd love to get into the grass too, but I'm not letting him. He doesn't seem to be sensitive though, he's not gimping."

Mag kept trying to take side trails that he's never been on, turning away from Mira. That's not a bad thing, not being completely glued to his buddy. It's kind of funny.

We practiced standing still just a few moments a couple more times.

I asked Ani who her hoof trimmer is and guess what, she said "Seli." !!

I sure appreciate the good rides after a day like today. I don't usually get mad at Mag. But it wasn't that bad, it showed me what I need to work on, and how urgently.

3 comments:

AareneX said...

A less-than-great ride is always kind of disappointing, but the majority of your work with Mag is going well right now. It's nice when the balance tips so you have more good sessions than difficult ones.

I'm just catching up now after a week away from reliable connectivity, so I want to be sure to tell you that Mag isn't the only one who fears sheep. They moved a band of 1500 sheep through ridecamp on Tuesday (it was just trail crew in camp, no riders) and Fiddle and Hana DID NOT APPROVE. The woman who bosses the bands here said that even horses who are "okay with sheep" are usually NOT okay with big bands of them. It's just too much randomness. When Fee and I found a breakaway band of about 30 sheep on the trail the next day, she was alarmed, but didn't panic--I got her to push the sheep of the trail and she felt very triumphant after that!

ellie k said...

Horse flies can make anyone or thing have an off day. They hurt so bad and just keep eating you up. It is good to see so much progress for you two, you are becoming a team.

lytha said...

Aarene, 1500 sheep is a lot.

Ellie, wish there was something I could do. Wait for Winter, I guess *lol*