Thursday, May 11, 2017

Mag begs for mercy

Just called the vet and confirmed that tomorrow my horse may 1. go back to pasture and 2. roll VIGOROUSLY on the staples on his back and 3. the staples will come out on the 18th.

I'm trying not to freak out, because I know how he will roll once given a chance. He will try to thrash those things out of his back. He does so even without staples, he's very thorough.

The wounds look good, a little swelling, but nothing horrible looking. I put a mountain of Neosporin on the holes every morning.

I clean up tons of poop from the paddock as regularly as I can, but as today, I arrived home to a paddock with nowhere to stand that was not poop.

The horse is starting to go stir-crazy. Yesterday as I cleaned he grabbed the vinegar bottle and walked away with it! (I use wine vinegar to clean hooves). He dropped it away from the shed, after making a big deal. I said, "I know Mag, I understand. I'm so sorry!"

Today he grabbed the fly mask in his mouth and held it before I could put it on.

And then he grabbed my poop cleaning tool and held it in his mouth.

He's doing everything he can to tell me how bored he is and I am trying my best to tell him what a great patient he is. And I'm apologizing a lot.

The donkey is just livid but I try to appease her with hay pellet treats.

We've hit a warming streak and suddenly it's too hot outside (for me - 24C). I worked in the sun digging holes in the garden for J's mom and felt terrible, not ready for warm weather after scraping ice off the car every morning.

That means I had to put Mag's blanket on 10 minutes ago, in 20C. *sigh* I apologized again. It could freeze tonight and he has no coat.

Even worse, tomorrow I'll finally let them out into the pasture, and he will have to wear this blanket in an effort to keep the wounds clean.

I told him horses in the Arabian Peninsula suffer more than just 10 days in heat, it's all the time for them.

He keeps doing enchanting, darling things and oh why can't they just speak English/German!?!?

The donkey peers at me through my house windows, "LET US OUT."

The horse uses his wiles against me, and there's nothing I can do.

I'll let you know what happens tomorrow, when they finally go out and he tries to destroy his staples.

3 comments:

TeresaA said...

It will be fine I am sure. Can you take him for a walk to get rid of some of his wiggles?

AareneX said...

He probably won't die.

I know it's hard to remember. But he probably won't die.

Sigh.

When do the lab tests come back?

Camryn said...

sure hope your worries are unfounded. I'd be worrying myself though. Seems it's something our horses all do well. Cause us to worry lol