Monday, March 27, 2017

Sneaking around and then helping those snuck up on

I've always wondered what Gabi does with the kids on their trail ride lessons. Today I snuck out behind them to see. I wish I'd had Mag saddled but there was no time.

Well, first I cleaned my stall and paddock and had to leave Mag in his paddock instead of bringing him in for his bucket because I had nowhere to put him, school horses everywhere. Ugh, afternoons at the barn!

Mag neighed at me loudly as I left him alone, "You're forgetting something. ME!" Sorry Mag, I told him I'll get you in a minute. It feels nice to have both a greeting neigh from him, and a "scolding" one too: )

Then I thought, I can follow the kids! So I haltered Mag fast and whispered to him in my sneaky way and we trotted together to the group of school horses as they were departing. As the kids passed by Mag, I placed myself between him and them so they wouldn't be worried. Not that they would, they're kids, and Gabi yelled at one of them, "Don't come so close to that strange horse!!!" Poor kid, it was my fault I was in their way. Mag stood like a statue, with my hand against him, willing him to remain still.

Then I very sneakily followed the group. Far enough behind that we might not be noticed. Except of course we were, Gabi is constantly turning in the saddle to keep her eye on the entire group. Busted! Oh well, maybe she'll let us tag along. Maybe!?

I was so curious what she does with those kids after all this time watching them leave and come back.

At the street where the busses pass the barn, she stopped the group and said, "Get into pairs to cross the street. And tell me what kind of bush that is beside us, because it's poisonous to horses." The kids didn't know, and she said, "It's EIBE, deadly, so don't let your horse eat it!" I started cracking up, good thing I was far enough back, because horses just don't eat that, I mean, horses generally don't eat poisonous plants if they're well fed. I was shaking with laughter and Mag had no idea why. Honestly though I've seen Mag grab poisonous plants in his mouth passing by, but he doesn't really eat them, he just does taste tests. I love that the outing contained horse welfare tips.

Oh, this was gonna be fun.

They paired up with some difficulty - these are tiny kids, after all, and crossed the street. I like how many of them had crash vests in addition to helmets, and safety stirrups. A bit later they all stopped and from the saddle, tightened their girths. Bravo!

Gabi may be a yeller, but she really takes care to teach the kids how to be safe and take care of their horses. She inspects every bridle and saddle before every ride, and it's so cute to see three kids at once trying to put a bridle on a pony.

I stayed 20 to 40 meters behind them at all times, not wanting to affect the group. Only once did I see the last pony look back at us, and that was when Mag went off trail and started bushwhacking loudly.

I wished I was riding Mag because the ponies were so unaffected by their surroundings. Half dead is how I'd describe their behavior, but well cared for. But I had no idea how much trotting or cantering they might do, and Mag's never been in a large group, so going on foot was a good idea.

We came to a gentle upward incline and Gabi yelled back to me, "We're going to TROT!" I said, "OK!" Wow, she is conscientious regarding Mag. Really, really careful around him, and I appreciate it very much.

They trotted away and I just kept walking, I'm no runner. Mag was excited about it but remained behind me, even though he kept asking to pass me today. Sorry, the rules still apply.

Their trot was soon over and they were all standing at the top of the hill. Were they waiting for me? That's not necessary, I wasn't invited!

Then Gabi yelled something about a lost riding crop. No, I didn't see it. They just stood there and I said, "OK I'll go back and look" and then the last rider said, "No, it's in front of you!" Oh thank God I did not want to go back down and up again. Sure enough I found it, this pathetic, broken tipped and broken  handled little crop, and said, "I rescued this piece of garbage?" to myself and started looking for its owner.

They pointed to Jolly, my favorite bay Welsh pony. Finally "invited" into the group, I jogged my way up to him as they were walking and held it out, making his little rider reach to grasp it.

Then I went to the back of the line again.

I couldn't help but wonder what they would have done if I was not there. There are no mounting blocks nearby, and I'm not sure any of them can mount from the ground, including Gabi, who was riding in a bareback pad. Hm!

Then they turned for home on the long, straight "Autobahn" trail. Then they did that thing that I don't know the name for (help?).

I'd only seen it done in group arena lessons until today, but why not do it in the woods? It's a great exercise!

It's a leapfrog game, where the last rider trots past all the others (who are riding single file) until she is at the lead, or, in this case, moves into place directly behind Gabi, who no horse may pass.  Then the new last rider trots to the front behind Gabi, and so on, until everyone has trotted by the entire group and they are in their original order again. It's a trip to watch it, to watch the little kids concentrate on their turn, sometimes asking Gabi, "Now?" and she calls out in answer, "Come!"

They did this game the entire Autobahn section of trail and both Mag and I were happy to observe it. It made us want to play too!

Little Jolly took so much urging, it took him a while to get to the front, and then someone said, "Gabi, something fell off Jolly!" Thinking it was one of his easyboots, I whirled around to start searching, and found a carabiner. Again I wondered what they do when I'm not there - just leave the stuff on trail? *lol*

The exercise has so many uses - the horses learn to operate somewhat independently from the group, and follow the muddled and obtuse signals of their tiny riders, and the kids get to experience riding independently, not just following the horse in front. And it teaches the horses to lead and follow, well, it would if Gabi were not always in the lead, but I understand that. The kids also get to "go fast" on their own terms, somewhat, which must be empowering.

I just remembered I'd seen this game somewhat differently in my lessons years ago in Germany. The one I took part in was one where the lead horse of a line of trotting horses begins to canter and canters the entire arena, ending up at the back of the group where it resumes trotting. Then the next lead horse canters forward and ends up at the back. I think they call this Abteiling riding.

But everyone I asked today about it, what is it called, no one could tell me! I said, "It must have a name!" Maren said "Well, make one up!" Ah, very funny.

I was disappointed to see that indeed, Gabi let the entire group trot the last incline up to home. Trotting home, for these dull ponies is not dangerous, but she is normally so strict when it comes to safe practices, I'm surprised she lets them speed up when nearly home. I suspected that was the case, because it seems everyone at the barn lets their horses hurry home, but now I know it's true.


Anyway, I wanted this to also be Mag's first lesson in separation from the group. I let them get away from us when we were almost home. He started trotting behind me, upset, but I settled him down. I stopped him and they just disappeared.

I had an apple in my pocket the entire time and as he watched them leave us for eternity, I placed it on the ground for him to eat. Apples in Spring? Very special. Fall, Winter, not as much.

Then we heard a plaintive whinny behind us, one we'd heard earlier but not placed, and waited.

A beautiful bay Icelandic horse appeared from around the corner, very sweaty but with a "racing stripe" shaved into his coat. I love that. I joined the lady riding him and started chatting with her as if I knew her. Yikes, I'm such a scary American!

I asked why is he neighing, oh, he always does that, and I asked where she keeps him, at the next barn. I told her I was just following the group of kiddies but separated on purpose, to teach my green horse that it's possible. She was nice and chatted with me on the street, cars passing by us often.

Then I said Schoenen Tag noch and we parted ways. I made sure to say hi to Gabi on our arrival into the sea of ponies, so she knew I made it home OK.

She asked why I didn't saddle up and ride with them, and I said, "I had no time, and then, I had no idea what you guys do out there, you may have gone cantering off!" Now I know it's no problem, so maybe I'll try again under saddle. I'd love to do that game with Mag, if they'd let me, but it might not be appropriate, because those kids are paying customers and I'm just a boarder.

It was getting late and I had groceries in the car, and it was the warmest day of the year. 18C! That's 64F. I wear shorts at that temp.

But I'd planned poorly. As I arrived at the barn today, Jana was just leaving from her ride on Maja.

As I saddled Mag with groceries in the car, Maren arrived to work the problem mare Wolke.

I was exactly between the two possible riding partners, ugh. I'd tried to hook up with Claudia today but she was there in the morning and for the first time ever I was there in the afternoon. My bad, I should have tried harder, but I was determined to ride, so I got on in the outdoor, after lunging Mag for about 5 minutes and finding no resistance at all. Maren observed and said, "Beautiful! Just lovely!"

As part of our bargain I will not lunge Mag more than a few minutes if he behaves well, and he was perfect. (Remember yesterday he tried to kick his saddle off!)

I set up my cones and did my homework. It wasn't as great today, probably cuz it was so warm out, I had a hard time keeping him trotting, but he was willing and relaxed, and that's more important than anything. After I switched directions and got a motivated trot, I praised him and got off. (Oh, and I also remembered to praise him as he began moving - trotting - rather than just praising him when we stop.)

Maren was coming to the arena as I was leaving and I apologized to her that we couldn't ride together. She said maybe tomorrow. I think I'll text her now and ask exactly when, when will you torture me again lady, with your Parellisms and benign riding....*lol*

It wasn't just the raw chicken in the back of my car, though, it was the fact that Willy was bringing in all the horses for the night, and I didn't want to ride through that chaos, where the geldings fight for the lead in the stampede down the hill. Even if Mag was good for that, I wasn't going to ask him to work while all the horses munched their grain within hearing range. At home Mag has no feeding time, but here at this barn, it is regimented and the horses love their routine.

Overall I regret that I have not been at the barn in the evening, because so often I would spend 4 (to 6!) hours at the barn with no one but Willy. I loved those peaceful times but for the money we spent, it would have been better to use the time when working people and school kids were at the barn - after 4 PM.

But you all know how much I feel I've gained from this time. I hate to think of the cost, but I feel I know Mag much better. Not fully, not by far, but much, much better.

4 more days. I have a date to ride with Nina on Thursday, and with Claudia on Friday. I hope to ride with Maren  or Jana too. I also asked Kati for another lesson, because it struck me how cool it would be to see her ride Mag in an arena, to see what a professional can get from him. No answer yet, so we'll see about that. (I have a substantiated worry that she is also afraid, as I've experienced before with trainers here.)

So..

When I think of Mag, I think of him as 75% known: Respectful, Careful, Non-reactive.

And 25% unknown: Unpredictable, Dangerous.

The danger is still there. I have so many questions about him. Sometimes I see him through a glass, darkly. I really don't know him yet.

But I'm so grateful to have had this chance to get to 75%.


Mag's first day here at Finally Farm.

Rough, insecure, but not panicked. When I look at this photo I remember not knowing him.

Who are you?

5 comments:

TeresaA said...

Mags would probably say the same thing about you. :) He's a young learning about the world and what is expected of him. He's doing very well.

AareneX said...

We call it the Pass Me/Pass You game!
with Hana https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhvtfO87vOg
with the Usual Suspects https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ig6TodCt-Q8

How fun to go with kids and ponies! Yay! And I think most parents would tell you that when they're trying to herd more than one kid, there is a breadcrumb trail of cheerios and plastic "stuff" in their wake, b/c it's just too hard to circle around and collect all the stuff that drops.

kbryan said...

I bet those kits were so cute riding. I have enjoyed your barn stories so very much. In a way, I hate for them to end, but I'm sure Mag will be glad to be home. Bellis will be excited to see him! You've made some really good progress, and you should be proud of yourself & Mag for what you have accomplished.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Teresa, he's doing very well. He's a good boy, he just had a lot to learn.

Kitty Bo said...

Every thing you do with him benefits him. Really great! I don't think that 25% ever goes away for any horse. It's wise thinking to keep that perspective.