Thursday, March 30, 2017

How I spent 10 hours at the barn

I did something today that I don't think I've ever done in my life with horses.

I saddled, worked, and turned back out my horse three individual times.

The third time I said, "No Mag, you are mistaken. The last time I fetched you was YESTERDAY."

I think he bought it.

***

10 AM Gabi arrived with her two great mares, a lovely massive chestnut and a beautiful Schwartzwalder Fuchs. Have you heard of that breed? The breed standard is draft style pony with black body and blond/bright mane and tail. Absolutely dreamy, my childhood fantasy for a pony of my own

I noted that the chestnut she would ride was sleeping as she tacked up, as Mag ate his bucket (that I pushed far away to not be cruel).

Gabi asked if I'd ever ridden alone, and I answered, "Twice."

She asked if I had ridden the Talsperre (down the dam). I said, "Yes! No problem." Um, right, well, OK. I still hate that feeling of all that water right there.

We set off but I did not mount at the barn, because I believe in at least a little movement before mounting, and my horse lives in a paddock and stall and has no possibility of movement. So I led him the first 5 minutes then mounted from a bench.

Then, riding along after Gabi and her two beauties, I realized that she's NOT a conversationalist. She's either silent, in teacher mode, or yelling. OK then.

So I was left to my own devices with Mag, and realized he really, really needs hoof boots, after --what? Beet pulp? Nothing else changed, but he prefers to skirt to the sides of the trail now, sadly. OK OK, I'll buy the other easyboots that I had already begun ordering. So far I have only one, but I'll spend the 110Euros for the second. Yah, 110Euros. Ugh.

There was a city truck in the woods before us, and a group of young men in orange working the woods, somehow. Oh dear. Are they gonna mess up my day? We said hello and they smiled and greeted us. Then a last worker appeared suddenly behind his truck, pouring gasoline into a weed whacker. I said Guten Tag and he did too, alleviating Mag's worry about this event. Why would they need a weed whacker in the woods? There is no undergrowth, it's just a bunch of oak trees!

Man, I wish Gabi would talk. Gotta get her to talk.

I said, "You know Gabi, what really scares my horses? The hunters in Germany. The way they stand there, hunting, motionless, in the fields adjacent to mine." FINALLY she started talking to me, so my mind could stop with the repeating film of what can go wrong on a horse.

"The hunters, so still are abnormal for horses."

Oh yes, please go on about things I should already know.

Then the rangers - I said how they must be connected to the police, cuz they are always driving through the fields surrounding my own, and down my street, very very slowly, watching for nature to misbehave.

She agreed with me and then a lady with a crazy nutso dog with almost no legs to speak of ran at us on his flexi-lead, and the owner did her best, but released at the wrong times right behind my hrose's hooves, letting the little ...dog...come running at us with flexilead screaming in motion. *sigh*Gabi did not say anything, but I shook my head. The the dog walked onto the dam itself as we walked under it, and started barking like crazy, and Gabi, a real animal lover, said to the smiling owner, "Now he feels bigger than us!" Yup.

We switchbacked won to the very depths of planet Earth, with lava swirling around us in bewildering patterns. OK, water.

But I was OK, and Mag too. But at the top, that zero-legged dog met another dog and their greeting was very exuberant. The lady as always, was smiling at us, as if she loved horses her whole life but ended up with a Jack Russel Terrier who thinks hooves are as fair game as rodents.

Can I please just take a breath. Gabi was not talking. Then she said, "This is a really good place to trot, because it's flat. Have you trotted with him out here yet?" I said, "Minimally." She said, "Let's go. We'll stop if we encounter anyone." I said, "And you'll listen if I yell: )"

I know this trail very well, from Tolima and especially Galim, the aged Arabian I leased. This trail is quite nice.

Mag thought it was suspicious, trotting and then...KEEPING TROTTING for a long while, in the woods. He had his head up higher than normal, and both ears back on me, asking me, "WTH."

I wished I'd had half chaps on, cuz those help with trotting.

I never noticed Gabi turning her head to observe us, but she said, "Everything's good, right?"

I said, "He's just a little excited about this new experience."

She said, "It's important that we continue to trot until your horse accepts it and drops his head and relaxes a little."

I said, "I agree."

Funnily, as soon as she said that, Mag dropped his head a couple inches and blew out his nose. I was delighted, "GOOD BOY" and told Gabi that he was finally OK.

Then we turned to walk toward home and I asked if I could lead the group.

She made me wait while she pulled her buxom mares to the side. Those mares would look so great pulling a car together! Gorgeous!

Mag pulled ahead and the entire way home, never hesitated at any single thing. Good, good boy.

We led all the way home, checking back, because Mag was on overdrive in his walking pace, the the drafts were not in such a hurry.

I love it, I love leading a group with Mag.

***

I put Mag away in his paddock after letting him roll in the sand of the outdoor arena.

Then I actually left the barn and drove to the closest grocery store to get a snack besides hard boiled eggs and sliced cheese cuz I knew I'd be there another 7 hours.

Got my snacks and sat in the lounge to read another horse book, so nice!

***

As I started claiming my belongings from this barn, I realized I was removing 66% of the lunge whips, total. Oh boy. What had they ever done with only ONE lunge whip!?

I was just thrilled to get mine back in working order, since everyone adopted them as their own.

I put my Texas Trading Company (IOWA) frost-free bucket in my car after washing and scrubbing the heck out of it. It should not freeze in the next nigh, so I hung a typical 5 gallon bucket in his stall with fresh water.

***

When I got back, the new girls leasing Moritz and Wolke were there.

The girl who I just met 2 days ago, who rides Moritz now, said, "Are you....?|"'

I said yes.

Nina can't be here, she wrote the WhatsApp group.

OK, thank you!

***

Then Jana was there. The cool Jana. She's not allowed to ride Maja due to ????  and she said she must take her for a very careful walk (In contrast to the very forced movement last week!). *sigh*

Jana asked if the mini Shetty could come along on the walk. The owner was happy about it.

I asked her, "You don't get to ride. Wanna ride Mag, and I'll lead your two mares?| She said no.

So we set out and I climbed on Mag's back at the first chance.

Omy, I had such a lovely ride with this girl.

She's wild, like me, "Hey, let's take the horses to Christina's home!" I know, I'd already ridden there, But Christina was not home, so Jana said to me, "Take a photo of me in front of her house with Maja and Lucy." OK, I did.

I also, for the first time, found myself riding one handed with the other in my vest pocket. So!

Then as we turned for home, I asked if she'd take a photo of me on Mag.

What amused me in her answer, "Yes, but hold Lucy's line in your hand. "

OK, she wanted a photo of me on Mag, with the mini in tow.

***

I\m gonna have to talk about the other third of my huge day......

After I've had a bite to eat, or a little sleep.

***

Next, Katja rides Mag.








7 comments:

Tina said...

I read each of your post as greedily as I do the chapters of a favorite book.

Kitty Bo said...

This is so wonderful. Oh, how I hope you can keep a riding routine at home because Mag is beginning to understand that he has a JOB.

Camryn said...

Having corgis, you've got me wondering what the short legger was lol. Sounds like a fun & relaxing day. Would love to see a pic of the drafty pony, I do love the draft types.

cdncowgirl said...

A thought on Mag's more tender feet, perhaps its from being kept in a stall and run-in? As you said he's not moving very much, could that lack of movement have made his feet more sensitive?

Oh Black Forest pony/horse - I googled them, they look gorgeous :D However the breed standard I read said chestnut (from very dark to regular)???

Crystal said...

Wow 3 separate rides in a day, impressive. That's one way to fill 10 hours

TeresaA said...

That was so good for both of you- working twice and spending time together. You go home tomorrow, right?

AareneX said...

That's a long day...almost as long as the day of an endurance ride!